the 100% directionless thread

One of ours has a hard time getting out of first. It red lines followed by a hard jerking motion as it shifts into second.

I bet it really limps into third.

/too easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
My agency requires EMTs to demonstrate a degree of proficiency in reading EKGs. It's nothing too in depth, be able to break down the parts of a tracing, identify common arrhythmias, understand what ST elevation is and what it looks like.

This is the first time I have studied anything of substance since I finished college in March, and man is it a rude awakening. I was never much for self study but I found "The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need" at work and am hoping it will set me straight.

In the meantime, I'm curious to what extent paramedic class covered things like axises, hypertrophy and its effects on EKGs, and preexciation syndromes. Since I am teaching myself I am hoping to tailor my learning to more applicable EMS topics but given that I don't really know where to start I am looking for a bit of insight from those of you who have had a real education in EKGs.

Take a class if you can find one. Seriously. My program barely covered anything on 12 leads, and I basically had to teach myself. Axis deviation never clicked for me until I took a class our medical director gave.

The book I have and that many recommend as a good text on the "why" of everything is art of interpretation. I like it a lot. As far as what you need to know? STEMI and STEMI mimics are great. Start there.

Back to being full time again after being part time for over a year. Done only a handful or two of day shifts. Gonna be full time day shift. :o This will be interesting.

Well that's a first. Field supervisor just said we can clock out early O.o

And of course he called when we were 45 min out from end of shift, already been cleared back to station -_-

But hey, considering the last couple weeks dispatch has seemed more interested in giving us one last call instead of go back to station page, it's a nice change

The clock idea is a great one! I'm adding that to our repertoire.

The clock was pretty good. I didn't think it was funny at the time but now looking back it was.

Someone has it out for me though. Had a handful of ammonia inhalants taped to our brake pedal. They even went as far as coloring the tape completely black. Didn't notice until I was coming up to a light code 3 and all of the dude everyone is wide freaking awake hacking their lungs out.

I'm pretty sure I nailed down who did it. They'll be getting the door handle/mic treatment they gave us only I'm using d50 and thiamine.

The clock was pretty good. I didn't think it was funny at the time but now looking back it was.

Someone has it out for me though. Had a handful of ammonia inhalants taped to our brake pedal. They even went as far as coloring the tape completely black. Didn't notice until I was coming up to a light code 3 and all of the dude everyone is wide freaking awake hacking their lungs out.

I'm pretty sure I nailed down who did it. They'll be getting the door handle/mic treatment they gave us only I'm using d50 and thiamine.

We had someone use D50 on the windshield. It damaged the windshield to the point it had to be replaced.

Just took another vent transfer.

71 yom was hit on his motorcycle by a SUV going 60mph.

Fractures:
Open humorous
R and L radius/ulna
R and L tib/fib
Pelvis in 3 spots
7 ribs
Sternum
Right knee dislocation

He was intubated and sedated. They took him off propofol when we got there. Switched him to Ativan and fentanyl drip. 2mg/hr and 100mcg/hr.

He had an arterial line, subclavian, and an IV in the hand.

I don't think he's gonna make it.

Just took another vent transfer.

71 yom was hit on his motorcycle by a SUV going 60mph.

Fractures:
Open humorous
R and L radius/ulna
R and L tib/fib
Pelvis in 3 spots
7 ribs
Sternum
Right knee dislocation

He was intubated and sedated. They took him off propofol when we got there. Switched him to Ativan and fentanyl drip. 2mg/hr and 100mcg/hr.

He had an arterial line, subclavian, and an IV in the hand.

I don't think he's gonna make it.

I give him props for being 71 and still on a bike.

So in my 36 hour shift we had 16 calls, 14 transports, one out of town transfer, and still got off an hour late making at a 37 hour shift...

In total, I think we managed ABOUT 4 hours of sleep in the ambulance. Oh yes, we spent only ~30 mins in a comfort station the entire time...

Our off-going crews went on an MVC about an hour before shift change. They showed up to find a 22yo with decerebrate posturing. Once at the trauma center, the pt was diagnosed with a basil ganglia hemorrhage and had an initial ICP of 21. Not good...

Is it a ford, if so it's a common problem.

well_at_least_they_circled_the_problem-ford.JPG

I've broken two trucks in ~24 hours. Do I win a prize?

Currently having a not-quite-quarter-life-career-choice-crisis...

Follow-up: The more I think about things, I think I'd really like to be full time in EMS, with an eye towards (eventually) being an administrator that gets a lot of field time.

Back