the 100% directionless thread

Failed the AMR San Diego skills test and have to wait 3 months to retest. Living the dream.

That sucks. Was it more than ECG, intubation and ventilation, IO, and an assessment?

Failed the AMR San Diego skills test and have to wait 3 months to retest. Living the dream.

You mean there is an AMR shop that cares about competency and bot warm bodies?

I dont mean for this to come off as a jab at you.

It was a AAA but with no telltale signs and then coded. Assessment did not necessarily lend itself to AAA but I wasn't as good as I would have liked. Missed a couple things I should have gotten but just gotta work on refining my assessments and getting better.

Don't worry. I should have been better, but I definitely respect them for having a skills test.

Just because you pass the skills test doesn't mean you anything more than a warm body.....

KY jelly on the door handles, mod handles, steering wheel and both radio mics then changing the unit clock to half an hour ahead of real world time? Felt like a real dumbass nagging at dispatch to let me go home before I realized someone screwed with our clock.

I'm all for fun and games but someone's gonna get it. A little KY, sure...this much is ridiculous though. Especially when I get yelled at because I had a delayed chute time out of the ER trying to clean it up before we could go en route to a priority call.

Ok, curiosity has gotten to me. I just read a thread on the forums that mentioned raising the head of a patient in cath lab recovery. Apparently it can kill the patient, why? :huh:

Ok, curiosity has gotten to me. I just read a thread on the forums that mentioned raising the head of a patient in cath lab recovery. Apparently it can kill the patient, why? :huh:

Arterial bleeding.

Think of how the anatomy is around the site where they enter to do the catheterization. Only way to compress it is if they're supine.

That's how it was explained to me when I did a CIC transfer with an RN on board and my brilliant self asked "why's there a sandbag on this dude's crotch?" Luckily she liked teaching and the patient had a sense of humor. One of those spoke before you thought moments.

***Paging Chase, the cardiac step-down RN!!*** wait...did he graduate to CIC yet? I can't keep track of everyone anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
My allergies are fricken killing me.

If you want me to sleep in our room and not move to the couch, then don't leave the fricken window open when you know I'll die sneezing.

*rolls eyes*

KY jelly on the door handles, mod handles, steering wheel and both radio mics then changing the unit clock to half an hour ahead of real world time? Felt like a real dumbass nagging at dispatch to let me go home before I realized someone screwed with our clock.

I'm all for fun and games but someone's gonna get it. A little KY, sure...this much is ridiculous though. Especially when I get yelled at because I had a delayed chute time out of the ER trying to clean it up before we could go en route to a priority call.

Oh, I never thought about the fun possibilities of changing the unit clock.

In regards to the KY, that's why I've always been firmly against anything that can futz with a unit's ability to respond.

The clock idea is a great one! I'm adding that to our repertoire.

The rig I'm in today has 461,311 miles on it and surprisingly it runs better than most of the other rigs.

My agency requires EMTs to demonstrate a degree of proficiency in reading EKGs. It's nothing too in depth, be able to break down the parts of a tracing, identify common arrhythmias, understand what ST elevation is and what it looks like.

This is the first time I have studied anything of substance since I finished college in March, and man is it a rude awakening. I was never much for self study but I found "The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need" at work and am hoping it will set me straight.

In the meantime, I'm curious to what extent paramedic class covered things like axises, hypertrophy and its effects on EKGs, and preexciation syndromes. Since I am teaching myself I am hoping to tailor my learning to more applicable EMS topics but given that I don't really know where to start I am looking for a bit of insight from those of you who have had a real education in EKGs.

The rig I'm in today has 461,311 miles on it and surprisingly it runs better than most of the other rigs.

They decommissioned the first BLS ambulance I worked on when it hit 500,000 miles. Ahh the fun memories of that rig. Blew a transmission, broke the torque converter, bent the camshaft, and even more things haha

They decommissioned the first BLS ambulance I worked on when it hit 500,000 miles. Ahh the fun memories of that rig. Blew a transmission, broke the torque converter, bent the camshaft, and even more things haha

This rig that I'm on has caught on fire before, flooded the pt compartment with engine smoke, had tranny problems and who knows what else. It's the 2nd or 3rd best ambulance haha

This rig that I'm on has caught on fire before, flooded the pt compartment with engine smoke, had tranny problems and who knows what else. It's the 2nd or 3rd best ambulance haha

Yeah I hate when my rig can't decided what it wants to be hahaha

Yeah I hate when my rig can't decided what it wants to be hahaha

One of ours has a hard time getting out of first. It red lines followed by a hard jerking motion as it shifts into second.

Back