Forum Troll
...and today's Facebook political extremism lesson of the day is,

"Torture is a-OK, provided no one uses more torture than we do."

[sits down in a corner and weeps silently to himself]

Do I need to call the local PD and have you placed on a 5150 hold? :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
Do I need to call the local PD and have you placed on a 5150 hold? :p

Can we at least just make it a grave disability so I have a better chance on challenging the 5 year firearm ban?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Spent 12 hours in the OB.....absolutely nothing happened until the last minute, when a delivery started. All the nurses came to get me and I got all excited. I put all my ppe and gloves on only to have the mom say she didn't want any students in there.....bummer man.

Bummer man, sorry to hear that.

The way I got all of mine was befriending the physician and rolling around with them. Had one pt absolutely refuse to let me even be in the room, all the others were persuaded, some let me do the delivery by the doc saying something along the lines of: "this guy is going to have to deliver some poor mother's baby who went into labor then got into a car accident on the way to the hospital at 2 am, in a ditch on the side of the road. He needs the experience. I'll be right over his shoulder supervising step by step if you'll allow him to do the actual delivery or he will be right over mine if you don't want to allow him to. Of course it's well within your rights to have him leave the room."

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
100% RCA, 98% LAD, and 90% CFX...No wonder you went into VT. They must have some extensive collateral.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The advantage of being a medical student means I'm a member of the team... and like the other members of the health care team I just go in and do my thing. No one asks if they want a nurse in the room with the ob/gyn.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Can we at least just make it a grave disability so I have a better chance on challenging the 5 year firearm ban?

Nope. And we'll have you go to Riverside ETS :eek:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The advantage of being a medical student means I'm a member of the team... and like the other members of the health care team I just go in and do my thing. No one asks if they want a nurse in the room with the ob/gyn.

Y'all generally look more like you belong there too though.

The EMS pants, black boots, bright white polo with "Paramedic Student" on the front and back along with the ID badge with bright red "Paramedic Student" that's required to be displayed makes it pretty obvious we weren't staff.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Y'all generally look more like you belong there too though.

The EMS pants, black boots, bright white polo with "Paramedic Student" on the front and back along with the ID badge with bright red "Paramedic Student" that's required to be displayed makes it pretty obvious we weren't staff.

Everyone on L&D at the hospital I rotated at (including the RN students and paramedic students) were issued the same dark blue scrubs as everyone else. Name tags? No one reads name tags. The major difference, however, was the medical student name tags were facility name tags, unlike the RN student and paramedic student's name tags. However everyone also had access to the c-section surgical suites. Granted, the RN students and paramedic students weren't going to scrub, but as long as it wasn't packed (normally wasn't, but it gets a little crowed between an attending, resident, med student, surgical tech student all being scrubbed with a surgical tech supervising the student, a circulating nurse, and a RN student watching, which happened a few days).

I think the bigger issue is attitude. I never got a "I don't want a student doing my pap smear/pelvic exam/wet mount" when I was doing OB/Gyn. I got a handful of the "I'd rather have a female," but even those were generally fine with a female student. However it was always a, "So... we need to do a ___" and not a "would you mind if I did a ____."

Last edited by a moderator:
Perseverance. I'm not going to pout, I just tell myself no matter what, I'm going to give it my all and give myself absolutely no excuse to fail. Sure I haven't had the most ideal of situations during clinicals, but that doesn't mean I'm set up for failure, just have to work harder.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Everyone on L&D at the hospital I rotated at (including the RN students and paramedic students) were issued the same dark blue scrubs as everyone else. Name tags? No one reads name tags. The major difference, however, was the medical student name tags were facility name tags, unlike the RN student and paramedic student's name tags. However everyone also had access to the c-section surgical suites. Granted, the RN students and paramedic students weren't going to scrub, but as long as it wasn't packed (normally wasn't, but it gets a little crowed between an attending, resident, med student, surgical tech student all being scrubbed with a surgical tech supervising the student, a circulating nurse, and a RN student watching, which happened a few days).

I think the bigger issue is attitude. I never got a "I don't want a student doing my pap smear/pelvic exam/wet mount" when I was doing OB/Gyn. I got a handful of the "I'd rather have a female," but even those were generally fine with a female student. However it was always a, "So... we need to do a ___" and not a "would you mind if I did a ____."

That's how it should be. Unfortunately the L&D nurses at the hospital we do clinicals at generally aren't too fond of paramedics. Something happened in the past with a student that ruined it for the rest of us. I had a decent rotation but I was also the guy who would constantly be cleaning up messes or making beds in my down time rather than sitting on my phone texting.

Their policy was to ask if the mother would allow a medic student to perform skills or observe. In all my L&D time Myself and a couple of physicians were the only two males on the floor, everyone else was female.

I think the bigger issue is attitude. I never got a "I don't want a student doing my pap smear/pelvic exam/wet mount" when I was doing OB/Gyn. I got a handful of the "I'd rather have a female," but even those were generally fine with a female student. However it was always a, "So... we need to do a ___" and not a "would you mind if I did a ____."[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. I rarely see that sort of aprehension when permission is sought for a medical student to perform a procedure. I understand it, but when it comes to procedures that the rest of us are responsible for carrying out safely and effectively, I feel the person asking the patient for permission should do their best to convey how important it is for the student to gain experience, exactly like Robb's physician did.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Night from hell.

I've had two suicides tonight

One was a teenage girl whose sister has downs and kept saying "but I loved her, why did she do it?" or something similar

The other the mother said to us something like "I haven't checked him but I know he is dead" she hadn't touched him or checked pulse or anything she just knew apparently.

Had another two patients who had life threatening or time critical problem.

My guy with SAH has neurosurgery and is expected to die, GCS 3, intubated, no spontaneous resp, BP 90 mmHg on inotrope / vasopressor

I think third time I've ever shed tears over somebody I have been to, bloody hell, I know we see some messed up stuff but this has been pretty heart wrenching, what a terrible, terrible waste of such young otherwise healthy people with so much potential :(

Take it from me dear, I have no problem with a male vs. female nor student, as long as you know what you are doing then that's fine :)

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Holy crap that was unnecessarily long. I bet it's not over, either...

Spending my day off eating some awesome pizza and studying a map book religiously......

Anjel

Forum Angel