the 100% directionless thread

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Ignorance truly is bliss.

I love reading the comments on videos like this. Aside from the video being a major HIPPA violation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0syYuh8lpg

Some heroic save they made...first floor fire, thick smoke, doing CPR on the front lawn. Seems more like a successful body recovery to me...

I do not wanna work a code in a vanbulance...

Edit: what's hippa?

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly

I love reading the comments on videos like this. Aside from the video being a major HIPPA violation...

Some heroic save they made...first floor fire, thick smoke, doing CPR on the front lawn. Seems more like a successful body recovery to me...

I'll give credit where credit is due. As long as EMS insists that all ROSCs are saves regardless of final discharge status, then the FD can claim that as a save. Also it isn't a HIPAA violation if the FD doesn't bill electronically for medical services.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll give credit where credit is due. Also it isn't a HIPAA violation if the FD doesn't bill electronically for medical services.

I may be wrong but I would think that a first responder involved directly in the operation posting a video directly showing the removal and resuscitation attempt of a victim is quite the HIPPA violation.

My volunteer department does not bill but if I take a picture of me and a dead body at an alarm and post it on facebook I am pretty sure I have violated HIPPA?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I may be wrong but I would think that a first responder involved directly in the operation posting a video directly showing the removal and resuscitation attempt of a victim is quite the HIPPA violation.

My volunteer department does not bill but if I take a picture of me and a dead body at an alarm and post it on facebook I am pretty sure I have violated HIPPA?

It's only a HIPAA violation if your company/service bills for services rendered. If there is no bill then it is not a violation. But your company/department may have policies about it.

JPINFV

Gadfly

1. It's HIPAA. 2 "A"s, 1 "P". The first rule of HIPAA is that people who can't spell it can't comment on it.

2. Who ever taught you that is a moron who was probably taught wrong by another moron and is a part of a long line of people who has never looked at the Center for Medicare/Medicade Services (CMS) website. In academics, the CMS website for HIPAA is not just a primary source, but the primary source. People who haven't looked at it should not be put in a position to teach about it.

3. "HHS published a final Privacy Rule in December 2000, which was later modified in August 2002. This Rule set national standards for the protection of individually identifiable health information by three types of covered entities: health plans, health care clearinghouses, and health care providers who conduct the standard health care transactions electronically. "
Emphasis added.
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/index.html

4. "Are You A Covered Entity" flowchart. Page 3 covers providers.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

If they don't bill electronically they aren't a HIPAA covered entity.

Aidey

Was that mouth to mouth in that video?!?!?!?!!!!!

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Was that mouth to mouth in that video?!?!?!?!!!!!

Yes.

Can't believe I spelt it HIPPA for the record... Doesn't even make sense when you sound out the words...

Never knew about the whole billing thing. Such is the teachings of EMS, blind leading the blind...

Aidey

Some states have their own privacy laws too, so you do have to be careful, but HIPAA actually only applies to a very select group.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Some states have their own privacy laws too, so you do have to be careful, but HIPAA actually only applies to a very select group.

NY has a law for everything. Its probably illegal to some extent to tie your shoes in public here.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Legality of the video aside (it is) it's old, despite it being posted today. I saw it over a year ago.

The worst part? The FF doing mouth-to-mouth. No thanks.

JPINFV

Gadfly
In the interest of my mental health and cortisol levels, I've finally decided to take my sister off my news feed. Sorry folks, but no more nightly updates on which pictures is being passed around the fringe right.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Ditto on the mouth to mouth :glare:

I'd only ever do it on friends or family.

I see they are pretty keen to load him up and go?

Here we would have moved the patient away from the smoke / fire / flames and commenced resus, only loaded and transported if ROSC achieved or if we were REALLY close to a hospital.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Here we would have moved the patient away from the smoke / fire / flames and commenced resus, only loaded and transported if ROSC achieved or if we were REALLY close to a hospital.

I only wish that were true in all of the US...One would think it would be, but, to paraphrase NYMedic, EMS so often has the blind leading the blind

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I get married in a month. I'm about to sign up for a bit of overtime . This is going to be a busy month, but soon it'll be worth it.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I get married in a month. I'm about to sign up for a bit of overtime . This is going to be a busy month, but soon it'll be worth it.

Congrats!!!

Right on, how has the whole planning process been?