the 100% directionless thread

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Psh, drip rates are silly. Want to know how I do 600cc/hr?

Bolus 600cc as fast as I can, then clamp it shut. Ta-da, no worrying about fluid-overload!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Walked to a conference today to avoid the car ride with my colleagues. Someone walked off with my coat at the conference. The walk home sucked.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We get a patient who needs to have 10ml of normal saline infused every minute. We have a 2 hour transport time. My partner looks at me dumbfounded. I guess not every EMT class teaches how to calculate drip rates, which is extremely easy to do..
I don't think I've ever heard of drip rates being taught in any basic class before. In CA of all place too:rofl:.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Walked to a conference today to avoid the car ride with my colleagues. Someone walked off with my coat at the conference. The walk home sucked.

Sorry but it looked better on me.

:p

Is it possible your colleagues that you ditched stole it in hopes you would ride with them?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don't think I've ever heard of drip rates being taught in any basic class before. In CA of all place too:rofl:.

It was taught in my original basic class in Iowa 10 years ago.

Anjel

Forum Angel
441e64e3-8954-2519.jpg

So glad they explained what pulmonary meant lol

Looks like me and Adam are using the same book.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Ditto... 11 years ago... in California of all places... :rolleyes:

Basic math...

I learned it this year and my Colorado IV class, it is certainly not difficult. But given that most EMTs aren't really supposed to associate with IVs, I was just surprised to see it in the curriculum. If you can't hang them, do you need to know how to calculate drip rates?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I learned it this year and my Colorado IV class, it is certainly not difficult. But given that most EMTs aren't really supposed to associate with IVs, I was just surprised to see it in the curriculum. If you can't hang them, do you need to know how to calculate drip rates?

Certain states allowed basics to monitor pre-existing IV's, and to D/C them when necessary. While not an everyday skill, it is something that could come into play in an MCI.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
441e64e3-8954-2519.jpg

So glad they explained what pulmonary meant lol

Looks like me and Adam are using the same book.

Should we feel really smart or really disappointed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Should we feel really smart or really disappointed?

Meh. My medic text isn't exactly written at a difficult comprehension level either.

One thing I have noticed around here is the docs do tend to have a decent amount of respect for our paramedics, even if our literature is written at the HS level :D

Anjel

Forum Angel

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Certain states allowed basics to monitor pre-existing IV's, and to D/C them when necessary. While not an everyday skill, it is something that could come into play in an MCI.

San Diego protocols allow this, on the IFT side its actually not uncommon here.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Sewer City area. I'm from South Dakota, but took my EMT class in Iowa. Grew up in Iowa, though, but am not a Hawkeye. Go Cyclones!!!!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Psh, drip rates are silly. Want to know how I do 600cc/hr?

Bolus 600cc as fast as I can, then clamp it shut. Ta-da, no worrying about fluid-overload!

I like your style sir. :rofl:

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Sewer City area. I'm from South Dakota, but took my EMT class in Iowa. Grew up in Iowa, though, but am not a Hawkeye. Go Cyclones!!!!

I could make a clones comment, but the ban stick would have to get waved ;-p. Nah all my family went the state, I was the traitor and became a hawkeye going to the u.