What is your most ridiculous call?

Anjel

Forum Angel
911=emergency. Period.

If you feel you are in that much pain and cannot go by any other means. Call a private company and set up a non emergent transport.

medic417

The Truth Provider
911=emergency. Period.

If you feel you are in that much pain and cannot go by any other means. Call a private company and set up a non emergent transport.

Quoted for emphasis.

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
originally posted by anjel1030
911=emergency. Period.

quoted for emphasis.

EMPHASIS

Got a funny and a disgusting one for yall

Funny-
While I was doing my medic rounds in the hospital, a patient came in, "family" had dropped her off in the er entrance and left, when registration checked, she was pulseless and apneic. got her ro recess and she was asystolic. CPR full ACLS protocol was done, after about 20mins they were about to call her and I piped up saying "hey we might as well try pushing some narcan just in case." needless to say, the ER doc scoffed at me. about 2 cycles later, one of the nurses came in and said that he got ahold of the PTs real family and she was a chronic narc abuser. Narcan got pushed, she came back. needless to say the doc was totally P.O.ed at me for making him look like a fool and I become the nurses favorite student lol.

Disgusting-
Get called on scene to a place in Highland Park (never heard of it? look it up. a quaint little hell hole) for a patient who has fallen and cant get up. So we arrive on scene and the guy in the lobby says the only way to get to the guys room is the fire escape stairs behind the building. So we get to the steps, theyre barely wide enough to fit a normal sized person through, they look almost 100yrs old, and the best part......... theyre made of wood. Yes, fire escape stairs made of wood. So we get to the room number, open the door and the room has been cut in half so that 1 could be made into 2. So after shimmying my way through, i take a step into the main room and my boot sinks down. Everything is covered in S:censored: :censored: :censored: !!!!!!! floor, counters, tables everything. We get to the PT, he is covered in s :censored: :censored: :censored: ! it takes all our hand wipes, and many stretcher wipes to clean him up so we can grab him. Turns out hes paraplegic and the only way he can take a poo is to go in a bucket and wait for his aid to come empty it. his aid hadnt been there in several weeks. He had been in the floor for 2 days. Gotta love EMS!

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
The other day i was at a small grocery shop when i over hear this: "my finger hurts can you give me a elastic bandage". I turn my head and see a 20s male talking to the shop owner a former EMT (Quit about 6 years ago. Not certified anymore. Told me some time ago that he has not kept up with developments.) The owner turned and saw me. He told the pt that i am a medic and he should speak to me. So far a normal off duty thing (in my country there is a duty to act even wen off duty and not in uniform). The pt c/o post MVA rt index and forearm pain x2 days and get this he has already bean checked by a orthopedic doctor and all x-rays clean. I checked for brusing which can sometimes com 24-48 hrs later and found non. since so far i am not working with any organization and i am not a full EMT but a EMR-a i could not take him to a hospital and did not think he needed one anyway. told him an elastic bandage would hurt and he should take a otc pain killer for the next 3 days if the pain was bothering him to function.

P.S.
I am fairly new at this so if anyone has tips/suggestions on this or other ambulatory Injuries please PM me.
I wouldn't 'prescribe' anything, I wouldn't even suggest an OTC med...if he had a reaction and said well so and so told me to take it you are screwed

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
I went on a ride along not too long ago (first one). I'm still an EMT student, so this is one of about 5 calls total that I've been on, haha.
Call was for a 50 year old women c/o severe abd. pain.
We walk in and she was watching Wheel of Fortune. One of the FF's tried to turn the TV off and she yelled "Wait! I want to see the end of this episode!"
He stood in front of it while trying to ask her questions and she leaned around to look at the TV. He asked her the pain level and she said "definitely 10/10..." She demanded transport, but only after Wheel of Fortune was over..

Next call I went on was a truck driver at a truck stop. He was working on his semi and reached in the engine bay with it still running. All 4 fingers on his left hand were severed at the first knuckle. Firefighter asked the pain question again and trucker says "ahh sh** this ain't nuttin' but a 4."
Firefighter back at station says "I don't want to know what's happened to that man in his life..."
I thought those two calls back to back were pretty funny. Showed to me as a student how things like OPQRST aren't always accurate.

Am I missing something here? I have now seen several threads where the C/C (Chief Complaint!!!) is being abbreviated C/O...er, what does C/O stand for? (Probably me being dumb)

Anjel

Forum Angel
Am I missing something here? I have now seen several threads where the C/C (Chief Complaint!!!) is being abbreviated C/O...er, what does C/O stand for? (Probably me being dumb)

Complaining of?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
While I was doing my medic rounds in the hospital, a patient came in, "family" had dropped her off in the er entrance and left, when registration checked, she was pulseless and apneic. got her ro recess and she was asystolic. CPR full ACLS protocol was done, after about 20mins they were about to call her and I piped up saying "hey we might as well try pushing some narcan just in case." needless to say, the ER doc scoffed at me. about 2 cycles later, one of the nurses came in and said that he got ahold of the PTs real family and she was a chronic narc abuser. Narcan got pushed, she came back. needless to say the doc was totally P.O.ed at me for making him look like a fool and I become the nurses favorite student lol.
I'm not the brightest, so can you real quickly explain how narcan caused her heart to start beating again? Thanks.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
I have problems with your attitude. People abuse EMS because they are allowed to abuse it. More services need to learn to say no to non emergent patients that can safely be transported pov.

Like getting called 911 non emergency to a 3 month old baby boy that hasn't pooped in 4 days...waste of EVERYONES time

(Thanks Anjel for putting me straight lol)

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not the brightest, so can you real quickly explain how narcan caused her heart to start beating again? Thanks.

Naloxone Injection(nal ox' one)

Last Revision: July 18, 2012.

Why is this medication prescribed?

Naloxone injection is used to prevent or reverse the effects of opiate (narcotic) overdose, including difficulty breathing, sleepiness, low blood pressure, and death. Naloxone injection is also used after surgery to reverse the effects of opiates given during surgery. Naloxone injection is given to newborns to decrease the effects of opiates received by the pregnant mother prior to delivery. Naloxone injection is also used to diagnose a suspected opiate overdose and to increase low blood pressure associated with septic shock (life-threatening infection). Naloxone injection is in a class of medications called opiate antagonists. It works by blocking the central nervous system effects of several types of opiate medications such as morphine, oxycodone, methadone or illegal substances such as heroin.

This is from

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0047539/

...don't ask

JPINFV

Gadfly

C/O stands for "complaining of."

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Except for the part about naloxone being an opioid antagonist that is intended to treat respiratory depression. If you're heart stops beating properly or at all secondary to respiratory arrest, naloxone is not going to do anything to fix that.

Not to be a protocol monkey or anything, but one of the contraindications for BLS nasal naloxone in my system is cardiac arrest, why do you think that might be?

Phishbohn

Forum Probie
This one beats the nipple guy, Got a call, "breathing problems" , got on scene. The pt was an infant on O2 via nc. Parents wanted some tape to keep it in place.

leoemt

Forum Captain
Got sent to a fire station for a walk in. Upon arrival gentleman walks out and wants to go to Harborview. His chief complaint was his fake eye fell out and he needed someone to put it in for him.

Nice enough guy, but didn't need a $1,000 ambo ride.

rcklizard

Forum Ride Along
Received a 911 call from a Drs. Clinic, that they had a pt. with a "nosebleed", made it halfway there, when it was cancelled, seems the "nosebleed" had stopped! We wondered...wasn't there a Dr. or a nurse on scene?

med109

Forum Crew Member
Funniest call, paged to 40 year old female unknown medical. Arrive on scene to children crying and screaming. We thought this isn't good, we asked where Mom was and they pointed to the bedroom. We find mom in the closet sitting in a 55 gallon blue plastic barrel. She was playing hide and seek and hid in the closet, sitting in the barrel, and says she is stuck. Her entire rear end is in the drum, deep, and her feet are up near her shoulders. We tried to tip her over and pull the barrel off, no luck. When she "slipped" into the bucket it created a vacuum. She had no feeling in her feet, and they were turning blue, so we called the fire department out and they cut her out of her bucket. We got her out but she was very tingly for awhile.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Received a 911 call from a Drs. Clinic, that they had a pt. with a "nosebleed", made it halfway there, when it was cancelled, seems the "nosebleed" had stopped! We wondered...wasn't there a Dr. or a nurse on scene?

We get those all the time. So much so that we started carrying oxymetazoline to treat them :unsure:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

A couple years back a medic I know had a patient aspirate a clot from her nosebleed which obstructed her airway, promptly coded and never came back. Couldn't clear the clot and it worked its way down past the crichothyroid membrane.

Made me take nosebleeds more seriously.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
A couple years back a medic I know had a patient aspirate a clot from her nosebleed which obstructed her airway, promptly coded and never came back. Couldn't clear the clot and it worked its way down past the crichothyroid membrane.

Made me take nosebleeds more seriously.

The majority of nosebleeds we are dispatched on are stopped when I get there, but I did go on a hypertensive guy who was on Coumadin. Bled and bled and bled. Made me wish for Rhino Rockets. :)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The majority of nosebleeds we are dispatched on are stopped when I get there, but I did go on a hypertensive guy who was on Coumadin. Bled and bled and bled. Made me wish for Rhino Rockets. :)

My old service looked into getting those.....they decided tampons were cheaper.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My old service looked into getting those.....they decided tampons were cheaper.

The male athletes at work just looove when someone hands them a tampon for their bloody nose.