the 100% directionless thread

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I would say that the you should only do ICU if they have a program specifically designed for new grads. Otherwise go to the floor where you can put more of your skills to the test and also build foundational knowledge for future decisions such as going into ICU, ED, OR, or any administrative position.

Source: I am in a nursing family and a lot of my non-premed college friends are nurses (or students still).

The hospital does offer a new grad fellowship/internship for critical care.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Do you want to stay in the ICU? Or do you plan to move up or elsewhere?

I want the ICU experience so that I can eventually move into flight nursing or Nurse Practioner. Most require 2+ years ICU experience

ThirdCareerMedic

Forum Crew Member
I would say that the you should only do ICU if they have a program specifically designed for new grads. Otherwise go to the floor where you can put more of your skills to the test and also build foundational knowledge for future decisions such as going into ICU, ED, OR, or any administrative position.

Source: I am in a nursing family and a lot of my non-premed college friends are nurses (or students still).

Now, that sounds like some solid advice!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Dear Natcom,

Please stop calling me 3 times a day asking me for my placard number. Ive told you for the past 2 weeks that I do not have a placard number. My 2 partners do not have one either. Please stop calling.

Sincerely, an EMT who would love a day off to explore the city.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Do many nursing students, including those with your background, get ICU jobs directly out of school? Are you expected to "pay your dues" in less attractive positions (like EMS in many areas) before you are looked at for a "premium position"?

What do you think?

It's funny because the ICU nurses (both surgical ICU and medical ICU) at my current hospital (large county hospital) are the younger nurses while the floor nurses tend to be older.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Just seems to easy to be even remotely edible but I'm definetly giving it a go tomorrow morning :) I wonder if it would work with soy milk? It would add another 7 grams of protein. Adding a little coconut butter might make them a little richer tasting. I'll play around with it tomorrow.
Definitely sounds like give bad gas.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Just spent $45 buying a case of copy paper so I can make copies tomorrow for my students. It's crazy, both the price of paper and the teaching profession.

Last edited:

Achilles

Forum Moron
Just spent $45 buying a case of copy paper so I can make copies tomorrow for my students. It's crazy, both the price of paper and the teaching profession.

Shouldn't the school pay for that?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Technically, yes. I teach classes and it's worth the money to avoid the hassle.

We just take any paperwork to the secretary of Fire/EMS and a couple of minutes later we get however many copies we need/want. Makes it real easy.

Joe

Forum Captain
Get signed off on the king airway tomorrow! Feels weird to work in a system that trusts their emt-b's to be competent. Granted its almost dummy proof,still a little win inside :)

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Whey and eggs.
Can make protein pudding too.

1 thing of fat free instant pudding mix
1 scoop of nutella
2 cups almond milk.
2 scoops whey protien powder.
I assume you use chocolate pudding mix with vanilla flavored protein powder? I want to try this out.

Prior to yesterday i had never tried almond milk so I decided to give it a shot. I ended up buying the unsweetened UNFLAVORED variety for some unknown reason. I'm not to fond of it as a stand alone beverage (shame on me for getting unflavored), but it actually works quite well when mixed with my vanilla protein powder. Next batch I'm going for flavored.

medic417

The Truth Provider
you_got_skillssvg-rect4246-4294966631.png

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/poopaloopoop/you_got_skillssvg-rect4246-4294966631.png

Anjel

Forum Angel
Do you always shock someone in a hypothermic arrest? Or only when in a shockable rhythm. The book is confusing me.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I can't wait for this week to be over. It's the week of WTFs?

• Hypertensive septic patient (meet 3/4 SIRS criteria, tunneled dialysis cath line infection. Line's been there for a year, which is excessive as it is. The only thing not met was WBC count... but the patient has Lupus (cue Dr. House) and is on steroids).
  • Hypertensive patient in 3rd degree block who's against anything "unnatural." Refused pacing, refused central line access, refused Glucagon because "the body will forget how to make it and the pancreas isn't the problem." Accepted atropine because I mentioned that it was "natural" (I left off that the first part of "nightshade" was "deadly").
    • When discussing this patient with the cardiology attending prior to him refusing just about everything, I got weird looks at both my resident and the cards attending when I asked the silly question of "Where would we go if the patient refuses?" The resident ended up apologizing.
  • Elderly pt with new diagnosis of small cell lung cancer... that's totally obstructed the left main bronchi leading to resorption atelectasis. While we'd love to do chemo, the 15% ejection fraction secondary to meth abuse makes that a no go because it either requires too much fluids or is cardiotoxic.
I never imagined that family practice inpatients would be more futzed up than internal medicine inpatients.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Do you always shock someone in a hypothermic arrest? Or only when in a shockable rhythm. The book is confusing me.

We only defibrillated one time in the hypothermic arrest with a core temp <87 degrees. Otherwise it'd BLS + a King and transport.

I'm not sure if that helps.

Anjel

Forum Angel
We only defibrillated one time in the hypothermic arrest with a core temp <87 degrees. Otherwise it'd BLS + a King and transport.

I'm not sure if that helps.

So even if they were in asystole you still defib that one time?