the 100% directionless thread

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Do you always shock someone in a hypothermic arrest? Or only when in a shockable rhythm. The book is confusing me.

According to Caroline (6th edition) the single shock is for shockable rhythms (V-fib/V-tach) at < 30c (86f)

Hope that helps.

Anjel

Forum Angel
According to Caroline (6th edition) the single shock is for shockable rhythms (V-fib/V-tach) at < 30c (86f)

Hope that helps.

Ok thank you! That's what I was trying to figure out.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Demobilizing 110 out of 352 ambulances in the next 4 hours. Could be going home today. Sounds like everyone is supposed to be demobed by Thursday.

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
Worked my first traumatic arrest, a stabbing, over the weekend. Now I get the fun of driving 30 minutes out of town to give a statement. I have given lots of statements before, but never one regarding a call. I am kind of nervous.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Demobilization started a couple of hours ago. Trying to thank all the crews for coming out. I'm gonna be an ice cube by the time they all leave.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Demobilization started a couple of hours ago. Trying to thank all the crews for coming out. I'm gonna be an ice cube by the time they all leave.

Ice-Cube-Portrait.jpg

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There is an ambulance company that deployed with us that all I can say is wow at the crews and wow at the ops manager. I hope they lose their contract for deployment.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I can't wait for this week to be over. It's the week of WTFs?

• Hypertensive septic patient (meet 3/4 SIRS criteria, tunneled dialysis cath line infection. Line's been there for a year, which is excessive as it is. The only thing not met was WBC count... but the patient has Lupus (cue Dr. House) and is on steroids).
  • Hypertensive patient in 3rd degree block who's against anything "unnatural." Refused pacing, refused central line access, refused Glucagon because "the body will forget how to make it and the pancreas isn't the problem." Accepted atropine because I mentioned that it was "natural" (I left off that the first part of "nightshade" was "deadly").
    • When discussing this patient with the cardiology attending prior to him refusing just about everything, I got weird looks at both my resident and the cards attending when I asked the silly question of "Where would we go if the patient refuses?" The resident ended up apologizing.
  • Elderly pt with new diagnosis of small cell lung cancer... that's totally obstructed the left main bronchi leading to resorption atelectasis. While we'd love to do chemo, the 15% ejection fraction secondary to meth abuse makes that a no go because it either requires too much fluids or is cardiotoxic.
I never imagined that family practice inpatients would be more futzed up than internal medicine inpatients.

Hahahaha!

It's only a matter of time, or taking the wrong turn in the hallway.

mycrofft

Worked my first traumatic arrest, a stabbing, over the weekend. Now I get the fun of driving 30 minutes out of town to give a statement. I have given lots of statements before, but never one regarding a call. I am kind of nervous.

Just remember not to "remember" anything you don't remember, and that there will be things you don't remember and later on will facepalm yourself and say "DANG!" because they came back to you...maybe.

mycrofft

THANKS to Akulahawk

He has me spun-up on basic quick and dirty sports-oriented treatment of extremity and spinal complaints, and the material to learn much more. He could teach a unit to orient people silly enough to be assigned to a sporting event! OOrah.

Anjel

Forum Angel
There is an ambulance company that deployed with us that all I can say is wow at the crews and wow at the ops manager. I hope they lose their contract for deployment.

Have you seen any Medstar and MMR people from Michigan?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Have you seen any Medstar and MMR people from Michigan?

Both. They are all really cool. Gonna go over to the MMR trailer tomorrow and pick up one of the shirts try have.

Do you work for them?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Both. They are all really cool. Gonna go over to the MMR trailer tomorrow and pick up one of the shirts try have.

Do you work for them?

Yea they are good companies.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yea they are good companies.

I've met a lot of really cool people from all over. Some from SoCal I have never met and some from Colorado, Texas, Michigan, Florida, etc. I wish I wasn't on the management team so that I could get to talk to them more.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've met a lot of really cool people from all over. Some from SoCal I have never met and some from Colorado, Texas, Michigan, Florida, etc. I wish I wasn't on the management team so that I could get to talk to them more.

Did you meet the Vegas crews? I now the ones I deployed with seemed cool.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I think our dispatcher is new... She is polite and cheerful....like too cheerful....there is no place for that here LOL