the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Had a motorcycle rider go down at around 100+mph. His $3000 gear was all destroyed, not a single injury on him. He ended up signing out AMA. Never thought I would say that lol

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Had a motorcycle rider go down at around 100+mph. His $3000 gear was all destroyed, not a single injury on him. He ended up signing out AMA. Never thought I would say that lol
another reason why gear is an amazing investment. only reason I'm still waking

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member

My front tire blew out on a curve while I was doing 70. I was wearing armor from my ankles down and my hips up...broke the hell out of my knee, but otherwise was just fine.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So started working at an ER today. And I thought EMS abuse was bad. Worked fast track for about 2 hours of my 6 hour shift, had 3 different cases of toothache and one of eye pain. One of the toothache's, when the PA looked him up in the state database, had a two page long history of where and when he received pain meds. He got discharged from triage.

I don't mind toothaches in the ED. They're simple, assuming it isn't something like an early Ludwig's Angina. Dental block with lido, follow up with outpatient dentist.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
The most dreaded diagnostic test in the ICU.....MRI.:angry:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The most dreaded diagnostic test in the ICU.....MRI.:angry:

Sorry :-(

At least it'll take up a good portion of your shift. Hopefully your coworkers can keep up with your other patient so you aren't too far behind when to get back to the unit.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hmm...Interesting conversation with a med control doc today. I had to call to get a physician acknowledgement of a refusal, and he advised me my refusal was "denied." Adult patient, no apparent use of intoxicating substances, no head injury, fully alert and aware of surroundings, and normal vital signs. Don't really know what to make of that kind of demand to bring a patient in against their will.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
It was good, well organized and didn't take as long as I thought it would. I did receive one, so hopefully it all works out in the end. One day at a time.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Hmm...Interesting conversation with a med control doc today. I had to call to get a physician acknowledgement of a refusal, and he advised me my refusal was "denied." Adult patient, no apparent use of intoxicating substances, no head injury, fully alert and aware of surroundings, and normal vital signs. Don't really know what to make of that kind of demand to bring a patient in against their will.
I generally tell the doc that they can talk to the patient themselves, but that I won't kidnap them. I've told docs on more than one occasion that they can come down and do it themselves if they want the patient kidnapped

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
31 minute door to TPA time on our last call. Within a minute of the bolus, he was able to move his left arm up and hold it up without an issue.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
31 minute door to TPA time on our last call. Within a minute of the bolus, he was able to move his left arm up and hold it up without an issue.

Awesome.

What was the approximate event to table time?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Is it unreasonable to ask that my partner not show up smelling like a dead racoon?

Sheesh had to bring air freshener into the computer room to write a report.

"Oh come on dude I don't smell that bad." Yea, ya do.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't mind toothaches in the ED. They're simple, assuming it isn't something like an early Ludwig's Angina. Dental block with lido, follow up with outpatient dentist.

They do seem pretty mundane. At least our triage has their head somewhat out of their butts and know who to send to us (at fast track). But let me tell you, we almost had a catastrophic disaster yesterday...we ran out of toradol :angry: But then after the nurse called up the pharmacist and gave her a piece of his mind, all was well.

Anjel

Forum Angel
So we had a 23 year old with chief complaint of seizures and altered mental status. Ended up with an ABG Lactic Acid of 16.6 and a PH of 7.1.

We took him from one ER to another. All interstate driving 45 miles away.

I just wish the hospital understood that going lights and sirens doesn't save that much time. People were slamming on their brakes and swerving all over the place trying to get out of the way. And it saved a whole 5 minutes maybe.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Where I'm at, we're not allowed to use lights and sirens on the freeway, unless we're on a call on the roadway we'll leave the lights on. Otherwise the only exception is if traffic backs up so bad it's faster to use the shoulder, and then you best be taking the first off ramp and procede on surface streets

Anjel

Forum Angel
It's pretty pointless I'm not gonna go faster than 75ish. People pass you left and right. I wish we could shut down at least on the freeway.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I've had some mixed feelings about lights and sirens on the freeway. It seems like even when there are a few cars on the road, they always seem to group up and get in the way somehow. I say just turn them on as needed, but I wonder how people react when the lights are turned on for a couple of seconds, they move out of the way, you pass by, and then you turn it off, lol. People are dumb, but I guess what other people think on the road doesn't really matter in the end.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So we had a 23 year old with chief complaint of seizures and altered mental status. Ended up with an ABG Lactic Acid of 16.6 and a PH of 7.1.

We took him from one ER to another. All interstate driving 45 miles away.

I just wish the hospital understood that going lights and sirens doesn't save that much time. People were slamming on their brakes and swerving all over the place trying to get out of the way. And it saved a whole 5 minutes maybe.

Every place I have ever worked, it was the attending medics decision. Didn't matter what the doc or nurse wanted. The driver could also decline or downgrade for safety/weather.
I rarely ever go code if I can help it. I much prefer a smooth drive than be thrown around and be out at higher risk to save a couple minutes.