the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Gotcha. That's the difference. Mine is 2 days a week from 0830 to 1730 for 9 months. It works for me, though, because I'm still working 40 hrs a week this way. Didn't lose my benefits by getting put to PT.
We have 144 hours in clinicals (2x OB, 2x OR, 4x ED, 3x Peds, 1x psych). Field hours are the same.
We are actually partnered with Northern Arizona University for a bachelor's program. We attend the local CC and get credits and our degree through NAU for around $3k/ semester (NAU on campus is $9,100 per semester). Definitely something I've thought about, never decided on it, though. Ha

We do 1-2 OR, 10 ER, 2 OB, 2 burn unit, 2 pedi ER, 1 SNF dedicated for pedi patients who are pretty much on vents. I haven't done the exact math on the hours.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
None of y'all do any ICU rotations whatsoever?

My medic school has a partnership with the Medical School here. I don't totally understand what the point is beyond us using their cadaver lab and a few MDs teaching certain portions of class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
None of y'all do any ICU rotations whatsoever.

My medic school has a partnership with the Medical School here. I don't totally understand what the point is beyond us using their cadaver lab and a few MDs teaching certain portions of class.

We did 36hrs in the ICU/CCU

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Can you explain this further? by medical school do you mean the school itself that you will get your BS at?

We can take more classes at Loma Linda University in Emergency Medical Care. LLU. It's a university that really only focuses on medicine and health.

Our community college is also trying to be able to give a bachelors in "Earth Disaster Management" I believe is what they are trying to call it haha.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I just want school to start so I can get my pretty gold patch. I'll worry about getting my bachelors from central after that. And I'm not sure if I'll do ICU/CCU rotation.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We don't do ICU shifts because there is a high likelyhood that we would have no hands on experience, not that we are going to get much hands on in the burn unit.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
We don't do ICU shifts because there is a high likelyhood that we would have no hands on experience, not that we are going to get much hands on in the burn unit.
At my school, we did a PICU rotation for 4 hours. It was really just to observe and discuss things; we didn't do anything hands on really (except I listened to lung sounds).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Really? I got to see and do some cool stuff during my ICU rotations. We did 12hr TICU, 12hr MICU, 24hr CICU and 12hr PICU. We had something around 240 clinical hours plus ~500 internship.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Just messed with some pictures from the other day at work
Not bad considering I was handholding a long shutter

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Damn, well done! I develop Parkinson's whenever I try to manually hold a shutter [emoji1]

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm not that superstitious personally. I say quiet all the time, pull my crap off the ambulance early, that sort of stuff.

But I'll be damned if I'm not a touch apprehensive about tomorrow being Friday the 13th and a full moon.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Anyone got an opinion on a HK 45? Been looking for a good carry gun for a bit and it fit my hand perfect.
Only other pistol that I somewhat liked was a XDM, but... That HK was like it was made for my hand. (Of course it is nearly a 1,000 bucks, too... And they don't offer any discounts at all).

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
Anyone got an opinion on a HK 45? Been looking for a good carry gun for a bit and it fit my hand perfect.
Only other pistol that I somewhat liked was a XDM, but... That HK was like it was made for my hand. (Of course it is nearly a 1,000 bucks, too... And they don't offer any discounts at all).

You don't want a 45

HK's and XDM's are excellent, but I would really put some time into shooting and see if you wouldn't prefer a 9, 40, or 357.

Check out the HK P2000sk in 357, you can get a 40 caliber barrel for it and just swap out. 357 is more than plenty of firepower for a concealed carry weapon and the p2000sk is a really quality weapon, very accurate, and more concealable then a 44 or 45.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
You don't want a 45

HK's and XDM's are excellent, but I would really put some time into shooting and see if you wouldn't prefer a 9, 40, or 357.

Check out the HK P2000sk in 357, you can get a 40 caliber barrel for it and just swap out. 357 is more than plenty of firepower for a concealed carry weapon and the p2000sk is a really quality weapon, very accurate, and more concealable then a 44 or 45.
It's not going to be concealed. I'm under 21, so cc isn't legal. Open carry for me is.
It's also hard to get "handgun" ammo for under 21, but I had a beretta CX4 carbine chambered for a 45 that I never had trouble with getting ammo for.
My buddy has a 40 and says that's an issue for him. I'll try to go buy a box of 357 and see how that works, because its kind of a pain in the *** if someone else has to buy it for me.
So, now knowin that it's gonna be open carry. Would you still go against a 45? That's the only pistol caliber I've actually shot besides a 9, but it's a pain to rent, since the ranges won't rent out a handgun for someone to shoot at a range without a parent there... So kind of hard to try out different calibers..

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

I have an XD-s 45 and M&P 45. I liked the HK 45 when I shot it but I wasn't willing to pay to price tag at the time. For CCW the XD-S is amazing, I can pocket carry it if I really wanted to and it shoots very well for its size. I liked XDMs but not as much as my M&P.

My next gun will be something in 357 sig. Nothing wrong with 9/40 but I grew up shooting 1911s so I never went with anything other than 45

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
It's not going to be concealed. I'm under 21, so cc isn't legal. Open carry for me is.
It's also hard to get "handgun" ammo for under 21, but I had a beretta CX4 carbine chambered for a 45 that I never had trouble with getting ammo for.
My buddy has a 40 and says that's an issue for him. I'll try to go buy a box of 357 and see how that works, because its kind of a pain in the *** if someone else has to buy it for me.
So, now knowin that it's gonna be open carry. Would you still go against a 45? That's the only pistol caliber I've actually shot besides a 9, but it's a pain to rent, since the ranges won't rent out a handgun for someone to shoot at a range without a parent there... So kind of hard to try out different calibers..

Just curious on what state you live in where getting ammo is that much of a problem. I would still go against the 45, you want a compact or subcompact 357 for the power, or a 40 or 9, because when you turn 21 you will want to CC whatever you have.

Also, if your wanting to shoot more, getting some reloading equipment off of midway USA is an excellent option. Its not hard to learn how to do properly, and I can make a box of 9 or 357 for less then 3 bucks a box.

45 is a great sized weapon for putting large holes in stuff. 357 and, 9 and 40 with the proper ammo are just as lethal for use in self defense. I vastly prefer a smaller caliber then 45 or 44 for the comfort of the size of weapon and the kick. 357 is just flat out a fantastic round