COVID VACCINE - The Megathread

Would you get the Pfizer vaccine if it were available to you?

• Total voters

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Back in July, we were reporting an average of like 50 new cases each day Statewide, then last month we were 100-150 a day and thought that was crazy high.

Except these last two or three weeks straight have jumped, 5,6, 800 new cases reporting daily. Today's count is 845.

Some 352 people are actively hospitalized.
More than 90% of those are unvaccinated.

We are pretty much at ICU bed capacity. Some hospitals have zero available ICU beds, one is running 125% capacity in their ICU.
Virtually all the COVID ICU cases are unvaccinated.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Any word on if this is expected be yearly? I got mine in January, I'd much rather hold off on a booster and just do my yearly stuff if that's going to be the case?

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Is the booster free or do you have to pay for it?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Any word on if this is expected be yearly? I got mine in January, I'd much rather hold off on a booster and just do my yearly stuff if that's going to be the case?
I haven't heard any word yet on this, but I would expect this to be an every 6 months to yearly thing for now because the booster brings your circulating antibody level back to a very high level. If I'd had a booster a month ago, I wouldn't have likely gotten infected. So, if your end-goal is to prevent infection then boosters it must be. If the end goal is just to keep people from being hospitalized in large numbers, then just get the "usual" series. I wouldn't actually be opposed to a HepB-like series where you get vaccinated x3, with 2nd being at 1 month and 3rd being at 6 months. That would give you a full year's protection and hopefully help shorten the pandemic.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Booster is free. No, I got my independently. I had my PCP write a prescription and turns out I did not even need it. When I got to the vaccination site, I requested the booster and they said "ok". After a little more small talk, they said we do not turn away anyone asking for a booster, as long as it has been 8 months since last shot.

I just did not want to wait until mid-Sept when it opens to all healthcare workers, especially since I leave for Las Vegas this week. Do not want to return from the trip with Covid if at all possible.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Booster is free. No, I got my independently. I had my PCP write a prescription and turns out I did not even need it. When I got to the vaccination site, I requested the booster and they said "ok". After a little more small talk, they said we do not turn away anyone asking for a booster, as long as it has been 8 months since last shot.

I just did not want to wait until mid-Sept when it opens to all healthcare workers, especially since I leave for Las Vegas this week. Do not want to return from the trip with Covid if at all possible.
Did you get the same as your first two or did you mix it up?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I got the same.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Back in July, we were reporting an average of like 50 new cases each day Statewide, then last month we were 100-150 a day and thought that was crazy high.

Except these last two or three weeks straight have jumped, 5,6, 800 new cases reporting daily. Today's count is 845.

Some 352 people are actively hospitalized.
More than 90% of those are unvaccinated.

We are pretty much at ICU bed capacity. Some hospitals have zero available ICU beds, one is running 125% capacity in their ICU.
Virtually all the COVID ICU cases are unvaccinated.
Our small hospital has 24 inpatient beds and as of this morning, 18 of those were COVID+ and I think 8 were on vents. There's a patient who has been boarding in the ED on a nimbex drip for two days because they can't find a bed anywhere within a couple hundred miles. We've transferred a handful of patients out of state over the past week or so, but those resources are now completely full. There is literally nowhere to put any more critically people anywhere in my region.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Pfizer receives full FDA approval.

FDA Approves Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 Vaccine for People 16 and Older https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-ap...9-vaccine-for-people-16-and-older-11629726322
Non-paywall article

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I reported on my first two doses back in Dec/Jan when I got them. I was very mild, no issues.

This 3rd shot kicked my arse! Hard! Within 8 hours I was achy all over, extremely tired, and weak. I did get a low fever and I felt downright miserable. I started taking motrin and tylenol and just stay hydrated. Went to bed early, slept horribly, tossed, turned, and sweated.

Woke up, popped more tylenol, felt drained for first part of the day but kept improving. By that night I was out having dinner and drinks with friends.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I would put my 3rd shot between #1 and #2 for side effects.

DAL will charge employees an extra $200 for health insurance per month if they choose to be unvaccinated:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
DAL will charge employees an extra $200 for health insurance per month if they choose to be unvaccinated:
Now that's interesting.... they aren't mandating you get the vaccine, but there are individual financial consequences for not doing so. furthermore, the cost is not arbitrary, but rather a direct result of the increased costs of the person's actions should they be hospitalized. cause and effect. I like it.