COVID VACCINE - The Megathread

Would you get the Pfizer vaccine if it were available to you?

• Total voters

Itomaschik

Forum Ride Along
Hey, brothers and sisters. My agency is making the vaccine available to us 12/28. What are your thoughts on the Pfizer vaccine. Will you get it if you have a choice?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I'd prefer Moderna... Mostly because I have stock in the company. But really DILLIGAF.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Undecided if I will get it, we don't even know if it will be offered to us in the next year.

This vaccine tech is not new, I suspect there will be little health risks associated with it after I looked into it more.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Hesitantly yes, I’m supposed to get mine early next week.

I’m concerned about the long term efficacy, at this point we don’t know that it can prevent transmission for more than a couple of months. I’m concerned that like influenza and other single strand RNA viruses that good efficacy only will last a few months and sustained efficacy will be well under a year.

Naturally I have concern about risks of a vaccine that hasn’t had a long study period. We don’t know that the vaccine won’t have some long term risk that we don’t know of now. We also don’t know that the rona can’t cause those same problems. There are plenty of viruses that are know to increase the risk of cancer or cause infertility, and we really don’t know the long term effects of Covid infection either.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am in charge of the vaccine program for the entire county where I work. My service was tasked by the state to control, deliver, and administer...I was tasked by my agency to be point man. Yay me! Zoom meetings out the *** thus far, info forthcoming. But yes, I will be getting the vaccine. Amazing how many of my peers who are completely against it.

Due to my food allergies I had great concern hearing the very broad "if you have ever reacted to food..." do not take it or take it with extreme caution. This annoyed me because every freaking article kept saying "food" and not which food. I think that would be very useful information ya know.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Yes, and I will likely be getting my first dose within the next week or so. I really don't care if I get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, either will do. I also would not mind doing blood draws every 3 months or so for 'rona titers to see how long the immune responses last and contribute to that particular effort. Vaccine effects < 'Rona effects. That's my take on it.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
My Department just sent out a sign up form for the vaccine. I did fill it out and submit it, so sounds like they're expecting it to start being available within a couple weeks or so.

My biggest concern right now is actually will it show a false positive on testing? I'm planning a vacation to see my family i hadn't seen in a year(plane tickets bought already) and to avoid mandatory quarantine, they require a pre travel nasal swab test 36hr before the flight (and then on top of that, my City, explicitly for first responders, requires a 2nd nasal swab test showing negative 3 days after flying back in)

OP
OP
I

Itomaschik

Forum Ride Along
Hesitantly yes, I’m supposed to get mine early next week.

I’m concerned about the long term efficacy, at this point we don’t know that it can prevent transmission for more than a couple of months. I’m concerned that like influenza and other single strand RNA viruses that good efficacy only will last a few months and sustained efficacy will be well under a year.

Naturally I have concern about risks of a vaccine that hasn’t had a long study period. We don’t know that the vaccine won’t have some long term risk that we don’t know of now. We also don’t know that the rona can’t cause those same problems. There are plenty of viruses that are know to increase the risk of cancer or cause infertility, and we really don’t know the long term effects of Covid infection either.
Great reasoning. Thank you!

Summit

Critical Crazy
The vast majority of all vaccine adverse reactions for any vaccine ever are seen immediately or short term. Pfizer and Moderna have immediate and short term data showing that adverse effects are almost entirely mild to moderate.

mRNA as a process is well understood and not new. mRNA as a mode of immunogenic antigen expression is cleaner than previous vaccine tech.

It may seemed rushed, but it wasn't in terms of creating the vaccine. Lots of work was already done on SARS-CoV-1. Unlike previous vaccines, this one was made in the modern era where the entire viral genome was fully genetically sequenced and sent to labs world wide via email in January. No other vaccine push in history has had so many labs, so many companies, and so much effort and resources dumped into it putting everything else on the back burner. There are FIFTY EIGHT vaccines for COVID in various stages of testing! The mRNA vaccines are out first because they take the least effort to get right and put in testing. It really only takes a few days of work to decide on the sub sequence from the viral genome to build the mRNA that will cause the desired antigen. It is actually much simpler to do this than older vaccine development methods. Phase I/II/III testing looks like other vaccines, except more expansive. The only difference is the EUA during phase III after excellent studies with ongoing results showing great efficacy and safety were evaluated in the setting of a pandemic.

The risk is vastly outweighed by the benefit. This is a no-brainer for folks to get. Healthcare providers should be singing this from the tree tops. Vaccine is the only path to herd immunity, the end of the pandemic, the end of all the COVID restrictions and suffering, and restoring normalcy we all crave.

I'm heavily involved in county level vaccine planning and distribution.

I'm getting my Pfizer shot on Tuesday. I hope you choose to get your shot as soon as you are able. :)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Vaccine is the only path to herd immunity, the end of the pandemic, the end of all the COVID restrictions and suffering, and restoring normalcy we all crave.
Unfortunately, normalcy will never return because one thing we've done is establish a new baseline for when the next pandemic comes along. In addition to herd immunity we've created herd expectations in how to deal with the next global disease.

I will be getting the vaccine once it works it's way down to my level which will probably take awhile because the trucking industry is not a high priority even though we've been considered essential and high risk workers from the start.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
D6647C87-55A9-4CBE-AD50-C945578A70A9.jpeg