the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
🤓🤓
And just like that my double tap. Turned into 3 force days and a immediate need OT day putting me on a 10 day work bender.
Yikes, hopefully will at least come with a nice paycheck at the end of it... how's the call volume on those? At least get a chance to sleep at night?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
definitely not a fan of that idea.

haven't seen any of their crews with that out here. mostly t-shirts. which honestly, is now my favorite EMS uniform ever. The newer shirts we had were great, you stayed cool, and if they got dirty it was easy as pie to just grab another one. I am no longer a fan of the button up class A/B type shirts after being somewhere that had really comfortable t-shirts.

That's just like, my opinion, man. :cool:

The current part time gig has 5.11 polos, and they're not bad, at least with our low call volume and generally pleasant Northern California weather. but I still prefer to look quite a bit different than the local law enforcement does.
I used to think tshirts were unprofessional.

Most of our local EMS in general are jerks (to patients). Ill take a passionate caregiver in a tshirt over a jerk in a polyester button down any day.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Consider myself learned 😭

But how do you actually find a good place? These seem mediocre at best and terrible awful at worst
Keep looking. Talk to the field employees, and talk to people that used to work there. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Talk up crews from other companies/services/agencies/departments (any other applicable terms?) Usually at the hospitals while waiting on beds, can start to get a guage for which crews from which employer have better morale on average.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
And just like that my double tap. Turned into 3 force days and a immediate need OT day putting me on a 10 day work bender.
Did Forcey the Bear give you any lube for Christmas?

CALEMT

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Does every newish EMT get T-boned like this from jobs until we learn not to be taken advantage of, or am I just extra boneheaded?
Yup it’s par for the course. We will give advice to those who ask when we talk with them, but in the end it’s that person’s choice what to do. Can’t count how many times I’ve watched new EMTs and paramedics make similar mistakes.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

But how do you actually find a good place? These seem mediocre at best and terrible awful at worst
Finish your paramedic program. This is first and foremost the most important part.

Make a detailed list of the things that are important to you.
Base pay. Retirement. Shift schedules. Promotional opportunities. Education. Special teams. Geographical area. Work/life balance. Protocols. Hunting and fishing. Whatever the “Must Haves” are for you.

Go back through this forum and look for the “best places to work” threads. Examine them carefully. Schedule ride alongs and interview the hiring folks. Ask every question that you can think of. You have to want to work there. Be careful of any agency that oversells the job.

Apply at the agencies the meet YOUR requirements.

Understand that you may not be a fit at the place you want to be. Understand that the job you want may not be in your backyard.

Know that “come back and reapply after you have some experience“ isn’t a dismissal out of hand, but an invitation to impove your professional skill set. We would often tell this to the less mature applicants, and after a year or two, they would reapply as much stronger candidates.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
My COVID-19 test came back negative and I finally got my work uniform. Only missed two days of work.

not to be taken advantage of

Rule 1 with any job, your employer doesn’t give a **** about you. You’re a tool and a very replaceable one at that. All they care about is making money. You can work your tail off and be best employee there but you can be fired at any moment for no reason at all. Thank you at will employment. All any of us can do is keep our heads down and not draw attention to ourselves.

Last edited:

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
My COVID-19 test came back negative and I finally got my work uniform. Only missed two days of work.

Rule 1 with any job, your employer doesn’t give a **** about you. You’re a tool and a very replaceable one at that. All they care about is making money. You can work your tail off and be best employee there but you can be fired at any moment for no reason at all. Thank you at will employment. All any of us can do is keep our heads down and not draw attention to ourselves.

Or work hard and have value in your self and work and eventually find a place that deserves you as much as you deserve them.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief

Talking to current and former employees. You're in Texas, you have some damn good agencies there. If people tell you to absolutely do not go somewhere as was the case here, listen. If you're told its a good resume builder, but not a career department then that's different. Be prepared for some headaches, but short term it may be ok depending on your threshold. The places everyone want aren't usually a secret. As was already said, those are going to be competitive with lower turnover.

Know what you want from an employer. You've already been given a good list in that regard. Figure out what places match those wants and build your resume to try to stand out. Experience, degree, CCP/FPC, instructor certs.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Talking to current and former employees. You're in Texas, you have some damn good agencies there. If people tell you to absolutely do not go somewhere as was the case here, listen. If you're told its a good resume builder, but not a career department then that's different. Be prepared for some headaches, but short term it may be ok depending on your threshold. The places everyone want aren't usually a secret. As was already said, those are going to be competitive with lower turnover.

Know what you want from an employer. You've already been given a good list in that regard. Figure out what places match those wants and build your resume to try to stand out. Experience, degree, CCP/FPC, instructor certs.

I don't think I mentioned by name the place I'm at now. So that's why I'm confused.

I hadn't really known much about it, but a classmate at school told me they were hiring after I lost the job at creek.

This place is far worse than described and that I can imagine.

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I don't think I mentioned by name the place I'm at now. So that's why I'm confused.

I hadn't really known much about it, but a classmate at school told me they were hiring after I lost the job at creek.

This place is far worse than described and that I can imagine.
I'm sure I'll get the blow torch from everyone here but, the best places to work have a union. Preferably a red sticker you can put on your car kinda union. You are young and you need to plan for your future now. You want to a place that pays well and offers not only benefits but some sort of retirement program. I spent the first half of my 30+ year career in the private sector and worked with some amazing people. Many of them are still there with no hope of any kind of decent life after EMS. Shiny new rigs and great uniform policies and sign on bonus offers make things look desirable but it's all about finding someplace that will let you enjoy a life after you can't work the bus anymore. Just my 2 cents.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
I'm sure I'll get the blow torch from everyone here but, the best places to work have a union. Preferably a red sticker you can put on your car kinda union. You are young and you need to plan for your future now. You want to a place that pays well and offers not only benefits but some sort of retirement program. I spent the first half of my 30+ year career in the private sector and worked with some amazing people. Many of them are still there with no hope of any kind of decent life after EMS. Shiny new rigs and great uniform policies and sign on bonus offers make things look desirable but it's all about finding someplace that will let you enjoy a life after you can't work the bus anymore. Just my 2 cents.
I'd say that there are a ton of people on this board that are in their 20's...If they started to plow money into just an IRA right now (whatever "plowing" is to them) they wouldn't have to worry about life after EMS. Throw in even a modest 401k or 403b and union or no....there's your retirement. Someone said Einstein said the most powerful force in the universe is compound interest and if you make a meaningful start in your 20's, stick to guns that don't approach 4 figures and drive an 'ok' pickup....you don't need a union.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I’d love to start an IWW chapter (I’m a member of the IWW and I know people who are willing to help me set one up) at my work but when I bring it up in euphemistic terms everyone is too worried about getting fired.

CALEMT

I'd say that there are a ton of people on this board that are in their 20's...If they started to plow money into just an IRA right now

I'm 26 now. Started my 457 when I was 24/25 it'll pay in dividends by the time I retire.