the 100% directionless thread

Yeah....it completely :censored::censored::censored::censored:s up my Google alerts. No usable data from those crashes equals me not giving much of a :censored::censored::censored::censored:.

It was a tragedy (I lost three guys I knew on FDNY that day), but we learned from our mistakes and have long since mourned our dead....time to move on until this is just like Pearl Harbor as far as anniversaries go.

Meh, you can bash on the 3rd,4th,6th,7th,8th, and 9th anniverseries, but the 10th is a milestone. The kids born on that day / after are now learning exactly what it is and can comprehend it.

A decade ago, yet I can remember everything of that day.

I was in 7th grade art class painting a white tiger. :cool:

Just posted the last September 11th announcement and banner since the forum opened in 2004. Retiring the routine, though the memories will last much longer. It's hard to believe it's only been ten years.

I'd love to say that our country has experienced better days since 2001. Maybe 2012 will be our year.

Meh, you can bash on the 3rd,4th,6th,7th,8th, and 9th anniverseries, but the 10th is a milestone. The kids born on that day / after are now learning exactly what it is and can comprehend it.

This year is the seventieth of Pearl Harbor. How much you want to bet that it's not going to light up many people's newcasts, result in wreath laying ceremonies in places that had nothing to do with the attack and will only be noted by those of us who enjoy history and the few men and women who experienced it firsthand?

This year is the seventieth of Pearl Harbor. How much you want to bet that it's not going to light up many people's newcasts, result in wreath laying ceremonies in places that had nothing to do with the attack and will only be noted by those of us who enjoy history and the few men and women who experienced it firsthand?
I always thought of September 11th as my generation's Pearl Harbor. Last year was the first year I taught (eighth grade) that the kids didn't have memory of it. I can only imagine my students had the same feeling when Justin Bieber broke his leg.

You know, I'm willing to bet I'll see a few Facebook status updates where people think copy-pasta a hooky status update is somehow the same as actually memorializing the event (and if you agree, post this in your status for 35.6 minutes for others to see).

I always thought of September 11th as my generation's Pearl Harbor. Last year was the first year I taught (eighth grade) that the kids didn't have memory of it. I can only imagine my students had the same feeling when Justin Bieber broke his leg.

Personally, I've always thought the uproar is simply an outgrowth of the weakening of the human species from my grandparents' generation to the present. My grandfather's neighbor was a platoon commander on Omaha Beach. Received FOUR Purple Hearts, two Silver Stars and a Distinguished Service Cross during the course of his service in the ETO. He's not the only WWII vet I've met like that. Nowadays, it's a freakish event if a soldier is retained in combat zones to make it past two Purple Hearts (despite increased survivability). Are we just breeding a weaker generation? Probably. Everything I have seen seems to point that.

It's always a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing disorder to not be fine with everything that is around you. Guess what? Just because one has nightmares and feels a little off after seeing the crap we see doesn't mean you have PTSD. I'm wagering a fair bit of money that if you're NOT bothered by it there is more wrong with you.

Take one of the people I have come to know pretty well from my involvement in EMS. She can't hang on to a man, most likely due to a heady blend of immaturity and the weakness and insecurity nearly universal in the past couple of generations. It's a vicious positive feedback cycle. She gets into a relationship, attaches herself to the guy like a remora (a "shark suckerfish" as my daughter calls them) and clings on for dear life until the ride is over. Then, after being dumped, she spirals into a "depression" consisting of self-abuse, believing that the problem is that she is fat (when she is- as a point of fact- skinnier than I am) and ugly until the next guy she jumps in bed with that doesn't discard her the next morning begins paying attention to her, starting the cycle anew. Her insecurities cloud her judgment leaving her unable to accurately assess that the real issue is that she isn't a strong individual emotionally or socially. Hmmm....I wonder why any stable guy would run from a girl like that?

The same can be said for almost any person under the age of 30: It's hard to find one who hasn't been saddled with some sort of half-cocked psych diagnosis or isn't so just generally non-functional or apathetic that it leaves me frightened for what will happen in the ensuing years. Everything is a "turning point" or a "milestone" for the current generations. Everything must be commemorated or commiserated in some way, whether it be with a "tweet", a Facebook group or some sort of shared public generational circle jerk/group hug. I can give them the ten year mark for the deaths of almost three thousand people (I hate the description "Three thousand Americans"....not all of them were Americans) but I hate to put it this way: the terrorists have won. Kicking the stool out from under the unstable emo kid with the noose around his neck that was the American youth has rendered us some of the most unsure people on the planet. Instead of picking ourselves up, dusting ourselves off and moving on a lot of us have had to up the dose of Xanax and Zoloft that allows us to function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, Pearl Harbor has more of an emotional impact on me than 9/11 because I was in Pearl Harbor during the 50th anniversary of that day...while on active duty in the Navy...and three months after my grandfather (who enlisted in the USMC on 12/8/41) died.

I also managed to make it to Corrigedor Island for the 50th anniversary of that battle.

Personally, Pearl Harbor has more of an emotional impact on me than 9/11 because I was in Pearl Harbor during the 50th anniversary of that day...while on active duty in the Navy...and three months after my grandfather (who enlisted in the USMC on 12/8/41) died.

Likewise. The folks there died defending our country. Most of the folks on 9/11 (outside of the handful of passengers on UAL 93 who revolted) died because they either didn't have the common sense to evacuate their offices after being told to remain in place by "wardens" or simply sat stunned on board the planes without even making an attempt at a defense.

simply sat stunned on board the planes without even making an attempt at a defense.

No. The prevailing wisdom at that time was "Sit down, shut up, and in a few hours your hijacker who wants money will take you to a Caribbean Island." I don't blame the people on the planes. Heck, the box cutters used were perfectly legal to carry on board a plane. Think about that for a minute.

No. The prevailing wisdom at that time was "Sit down, shut up, and in a few hours your hijacker who wants money will take you to a Caribbean Island." I don't blame the people on the planes. Heck, the box cutters used were perfectly legal to carry on board a plane. Think about that for a minute.

Well, unless you look at the long standing history of the PLO and similar organizations for hijacking planes and either blowing them up or executing hostages. It's always been my policy that if someone tries to take over a plane, train or bus I am on, I'm not going down without a fight.

So one of the spiders from my laundry room bit me 3 times on the neck. I wish i knew what kind it was.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Take one of the people I have come to know pretty well from my involvement in EMS. She can't hang on to a man, most likely due to a heady blend of immaturity and the weakness and insecurity nearly universal in the past couple of generations. It's a vicious positive feedback cycle. She gets into a relationship, attaches herself to the guy like a remora (a "shark suckerfish" as my daughter calls them) and clings on for dear life until the ride is over. Then, after being dumped, she spirals into a "depression" consisting of self-abuse, believing that the problem is that she is fat (when she is- as a point of fact- skinnier than I am) and ugly until the next guy she jumps in bed with that doesn't discard her the next morning begins paying attention to her, starting the cycle anew. Her insecurities cloud her judgment leaving her unable to accurately assess that the real issue is that she isn't a strong individual emotionally or socially. Hmmm....I wonder why any stable guy would run from a girl like that?

Sounds like my type mate, you should slip me her number.

So one of the spiders from my laundry room bit me 3 times on the neck. I wish i knew what kind it was.

Fingers crossed it was radioactive and you end up with super powers.

Title 4 United States Code

§ 8. Respect for Flag.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(Not in reference to the banner of this site, which is perfectly fine. This is just my vent to some things I've seen in person today.)

I understand everyone is sick of hearing about 9/11.

I am sick of seeing it replayed on tv over and over again.

But thousands of people died. Hundreds of firefighters, police officers, EMT's. and paramedics died.

Just sit back, and let those that want to, remember those who died.

I don't care about the conspiracy theories, and whatever else.

I was in 7th grade, coming back from music class, my teacher was crying, and as I walked into the classroom I saw the second plane hit.

Those lost are those I care about. Innocent lives lost.

Fingers crossed it was radioactive and you end up with super powers.

Damn, you beat me to it :P

EDIT: OMG 789th post on the 789th page (for me), this is the highlight of my day

Last edited by a moderator:
I was getting ready for school when i first saw the news report.

It was eerie the day, even here states away everything felt sad, even going outside.

I am far sadder today though. People spite the memory of those who died by using their deaths to justify religious intolerance.

9/11 should have been a time where Americans came together, instead its a time we split ourselves further apart by vilifying citizens who happened to belong to the same religion as the hijackers.

Oh its gonna be one of THOSE days.

Back