the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think at his ripe age of 20 he just doesn’t know any better. Fancy radio strap, rolls of tape on the pockets, etc etc. new guy vibes. One day I’m sure he’ll see pictures of himself and be like “why didn’t someone bully me out of wearing this.”

Working on a 911 ambulance when you’re 20 makes you feel pretty cool I guess, I know I felt similar.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess we can also look at it as that might just be the future of care giving and embrace change.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Lady wants to bring her service dog in the ambulance to the ER

Medic says they can only take the dog if they have e the actual paperwork on hand

"There is no paperwork for service dogs"
"Yes there is, our SOG requires us to have the paperwork on hand"
"No, there is no paperwork at all needed for a service dog"

She signed out AMA to take the dog home, even though we were at a pet store (but the service dog is terrified of other people and can't be left with them....)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Medic says they can only take the dog if they have e the actual paperwork on hand

She signed out AMA to take the dog home, even though we were at a pet store (but the service dog is terrified of other people and can't be left with them....)
I would hazard a guess that the lady's dog isn't legally recognizable as a service animal. However the Medic or the service could be sued for asking for paperwork... under the ADA, none is required. However, the dog (in this case) has to be trained to perform a specific task or do specific work to assist with a person with a disability. The disability doesn't have to be disclosed but the work/task the dog is trained to perform must be disclosed.

That's pretty much what I recall about that subject.

"Is the dog required because of a disability?" Yes/No question.
"What work/task is the dog trained to perform?" This one's more in-depth.

Don't forget to document the answers as accurately as you can.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The Medic seemed quite confident in requiring the paperwork on hand. Like the Pt even pulled put her phone to record and the Medic reiterated the need for the actual paperwork on hand.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
The Medic seemed quite confident in requiring the paperwork on hand. Like the Pt even pulled put her phone to record and the Medic reiterated the need for the actual paperwork on hand.
No paperwork required. The statement that the dog is “terrified of other people” tells me it’s not trained to a Service Dog standard and was probably a home grown owner titled “Therapy Dog”.

I would have a safety concern of having a “terrified “ animal in my rig in case things went south.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

There is no actual paperwork for service animals, so in that aspect the paramedic could have a complaint filed against them for violating ADA. However, if the animal is not safe to transport then even if it is a service animal then one can justify not taking it.

Emotional support animals are typically not allowed inside hospitals however actual service animals are allowed in specific areas. I do know there are more and more hospitals who are allowing patients to bring their emotional support animals in as long as they are well behaved. When in doubt call your hospital and ask.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Lacking that FIRE in FIRE CHIEF. Should do well. I’m sure they are the best candidate.
It a mix up of the inbreeding that fire departments usually are.

Only time will tell how it pans out. I'm indifferent overall.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
What ever happened to Fire Fighting..?

It died with the advent of transitional attack... either make an interior push and take some heat or setup defensive.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Honestly I don't see it as a big deal at all. A big city Chief is an entirely administrative / political position and good skills in that regard combined with a strong public safety background and familiarity with the department overall would seem quite sufficient to me, at least for an interim role.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Honestly I don't see it as a big deal at all. A big city Chief is an entirely administrative / political position and good skills in that regard combined with a strong public safety background and familiarity with the department overall would seem quite sufficient to me, at least for an interim role.
Don't totally disagree at all. Not in FF nor son of a FF but having been immersed (in my past) in big city fire and police culture. for better or for worse, I know that esprit de corps and morale in these high intensity groups has a lot to do with tradition and inculturation. It only takes a single generation to change an entire culture and, say, the Tokyo Fire Department seems to do fine absent the American fire ethos, but they are testing the waters in a big way...just an interim, yeah...but definitely a trial balloon...

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
If you don’t walk the walk, it’s not a good way to try and talk the talk. Zero respect for anyone who hasn’t done the actual job they are in charge of. That was a political move, not a positive move to improve a Fire Department.

Would you want an EMT to be the EMS Coordinator with final say over paramedic level services?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If you don’t walk the walk, it’s not a good way to try and talk the talk. Zero respect for anyone who hasn’t done the actual job they are in charge of. That was a political move, not a positive move to improve a Fire Department.

Would you want an EMT to be the EMS Coordinator with final say over paramedic level services?
Again, we are talking about an entirely administrative and political role. This interim chief will be sitting in meetings with city and state officials making decisions about budgets and requesting funds for priorities given to her by her under chiefs and other advisors, not fighting fires herself or training others to do so.

One of the EMS agencies I worked for had an EMT as ops manager, and frankly it worked just fine. He had no say over ALS protocols or chart reviews - that was the ALS Supervisor's job who would advise the ops manager on any decisions regarding ALS matters.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Again, we are talking about an entirely administrative and political role. This interim chief will be sitting in meetings with city and state officials making decisions about budgets and requesting funds for priorities given to her by her under chiefs and other advisors, not fighting fires herself or training others to do so.

One of the EMS agencies I worked for had an EMT as ops manager, and frankly it worked just fine. He had no say over ALS protocols or chart reviews - that was the ALS Supervisor's job who would advise the ops manager on any decisions regarding ALS matters.
Can’t change my question to fit your answer. It appears to be
: No.

The Fire Chief is the expert on suppression matters, among other things. That’s the crux of the job.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Can’t change my question to fit your answer. It appears to be
: No.

The Fire Chief is the expert on suppression matters, among other things. That’s the crux of the job.
The Fire Chief is rarely expected to have any sort of tactical involvement, which is a role filled by an operations deputy or other similar title. Often happens at EMS services too.