the 100% directionless thread

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Time to get back onto my eating plan. Checked the scale and ... yup I enjoy food. Going to go for a run later tonight too.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Time to get back onto my eating plan. Checked the scale and ... yup I enjoy food. Going to go for a run later tonight too.

I got lazy and didnt work out for the last few weeks. Went for a run yesterday and holy crap my conditioning is nearly all gone.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I just ran 4 laps with bleachers (home and away) at the high school track with a 20 pound weight vest like it was nothing this morning. Its amazing how fast your conditioning changes when you run regularly.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
FB_IMG_1530682264995.jpg

PotatoMedic

Just an PSA. Please don't drink and shoot off fireworks at way to early in the morning on the 4th of July. I still consider that the day prior to the holiday and I was happy to not be working a car today so I would not have to deal with those shenanigans

PotatoMedic

Having fun reading the "Critical Care Transport Core Curriculum" by ASTNA.

I also didn't tell my wife I bought this book and am studying for the FP-c so she won't be thrilled when she finds out.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Did my first wildland fire deployment (only three days) as an engine slug. Still did a little paramedicing and in the woods too!

Just want to quit all my part time jobs and do line medic things now. Sweet job.

PotatoMedic

I knew a guy that got a job as a full time line medic. He loved it, but eventually went to a big city for a city fire job.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
We only have engine slugs here for wildland fires...no fine line medics...then again a major, breaking news brush fire would only be a 1st alarm brush back in LA lol

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I knew a guy that got a job as a full time line medic. He loved it, but eventually went to a big city for a city fire job.
The line medic I ran into was a fulltime 50k city FF/medic. His department had a pretty robust deployment program with various engines and single resource folks out all summer long. Wish my department would get on board with this, but they have this whole idea that we won't be able to staff if a disaster hits at home. So instead half of our staff is on vaca at any given time during the summer. :/

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Had to have a bird respond from several counties out for a hoist rescue because the local smaller airships couldn’t safely hoist a patient due to the extreme heat.
IMG_5153.jpg

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Had to have a bird respond from several counties out for a hoist rescue because the local smaller airships couldn’t safely hoist a patient due to the extreme heat. View attachment 4254
When it gets really hot outside, you have to consider density altitude when deciding to hoist from a helicopter. The smaller ones often just don't have the power to hover OGE above a couple thousand feet at anything close to a usable weight and that can preclude hoisting safely at high DA. In those situations, you want a helo that can hover OGE with a reasonable payload capacity sufficient to do hoisting, at high altitudes (say >10,000 feet MSL).

Be ever so thankful that such a machine was available at all!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Be ever so thankful that such a machine was available at all!

Two counties away. I'm wondering what was going through the deputies mind when they show up to the station and they get a call all the way out in Palm Springs haha.

I know at least a couple days in the summer they'll close the airport because of temperatures. A couple days ago we hit 122.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
get a call all the way out in Palm Springs
Those Deputies were likely mildly surprised but not likely entirely so as they know they've got a machine capable of doing relatively high altitude OGE hover... which means if the DA is too high in some areas, they're likely to be called for assistance because the local low-altitude machines just can't.