the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Anyone familiar with Orange Theory Fitness training?
My girlfriend went to a couple of their classes. She wasn’t too impressed with the one she went to.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Just lift heavy ****, run every so often, and swim in the endless ocean you have.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
She give any particular reason? I'm curious, might check them out

It’s simple. Pick heavy things up and put them down. Do cardio ie run/swim/bike then get them gains brother!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
She give any particular reason? I'm curious, might check them out
It’s all group based workouts with heart monitors. The person leading her class did not explain any of the movements or workouts and just expected everyone to know what they were and how to do them correctly and safely.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It’s all group based workouts with heart monitors. The person leading her class did not explain any of the movements or workouts and just expected everyone to know what they were and how to do them correctly and safely.
aww yeah, that would suck.
I get the lift heavy things part lol, but I've found I'm better at the group thing vs figuring it out on my own. I can (and have) Googled workouts...but idk, I feel like the group thing just works better for me haha.
I tried out Crossfit before and the gym (box I guess..) was good at making sure you were doing the exercises properly...but crossfit is so damn expensive.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
aww yeah, that would suck.
I get the lift heavy things part lol, but I've found I'm better at the group thing vs figuring it out on my own. I can (and have) Googled workouts...but idk, I feel like the group thing just works better for me haha.
I tried out Crossfit before and the gym (box I guess..) was good at making sure you were doing the exercises properly...but crossfit is so damn expensive.
I did orang theory for a while. The place I went to was pretty good about explaining the movements and helping you out. Though there was a few coaches that I avoided. They also don't really show you how to properly use the rowing machine but no one does at any gym so I just point and laugh at people rowing wrong. (I've tried to help but they tell me they know what they are doing). Over all I liked it. But I quit to pick up BJJ.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I think I might check it out, just to see. Apparently the first into session is free so nothing to lose...but otherwise they seem like the kinda place to be rather pricey lol, so we'll see...

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Missing out on the joy that is DOMS two days post leg day with 100+ reps of deadlifts and squats.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Every CF place I've ever lived near was not only expensive, but had really limited hours.

I built my own pretty legit garage gym with a lifting platform, Rogue rack, bar, and bumper plates, and some other miscellaneous stuff all for about $1200. That's less than 10 month's fees at most CF places. I also bought a C2 rower for about $900, that's only about 7 more month's worth of CF fees. The thing is you can get all the same stuff I have for half what I have into it, or less, if you just look around and buy used stuff.

Of course you need space, and I realize not everyone has a nice big garage…..lol

PotatoMedic

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Of course you need space, and I realize not everyone has a nice big garage…..lol
Or big, fancy CRNA money.

Finally, a solid 4 days off. The shift before last we had 5 flights, all scenes. That pretty much equates to a (not-so-common) “stand up” 24 for us.

4 of the 5 were critically ill, and I don’t think that they had Allstate insurance.

soflomedic14

Forum Crew Member
Every CF place I've ever lived near was not only expensive, but had really limited hours.

I built my own pretty legit garage gym with a lifting platform, Rogue rack, bar, and bumper plates, and some other miscellaneous stuff all for about $1200. That's less than 10 month's fees at most CF places. I also bought a C2 rower for about $900, that's only about 7 more month's worth of CF fees. The thing is you can get all the same stuff I have for half what I have into it, or less, if you just look around and buy used stuff.

That’s the way to go! I did literally the exact same thing but also included a bunch of free weights. CF is overrate in my own opinion but if people love it, good for them! I’ll just keep to my kick-*** garage gym!

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Love my C2. Totally worth the investment
I like it too, but I don't get as much use out of it as I thought I would. Probably not enough to justify the cost. My wife refers to it as "that expensive warm-up machine" because I mainly just use it to loosen up before lifting.

Or big, fancy CRNA money.

Well, my point was that for someone interested in CrossFit style workouts, it can be quite cost effective (not to mention infinitely more convenient) to set up your own "box", if you have the space. I am fortunate to have a nice big garage and plenty of disposable income, but I've seen people put together setups very similar to mine in a lot less space and for a lot less money.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Well, my point was that for someone interested in CrossFit style workouts, it can be quite cost effective (not to mention infinitely more convenient) to set up your own "box", if you have the space. I am fortunate to have a nice big garage and plenty of disposable income, but I've seen people put together setups very similar to mine in a lot less space and for a lot less money.
I know, I was just giving you ****. One of our pilots was building his own workout rack. I can’t lift much more than my own weight at the gym these days so I just stick to my old skool routines and plenty of cardio. No gains, just maintains.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
You've pretty much got my dream set up Remi. Just no point in spending that money when I haven't gotten to a place I am at least semi established in for more than a year or two.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
The question got buried in an old thread, so just gonna drop it here.

Anyone have any thoughts on choosing between Creighton and University of Florida for hybrid critical care programs? Both seem solid, but recent reviews (on UF at least) seem a little sparse. Doing some final reviews before I make a choice.

PM if y'all want to add more without cluttering here.

PotatoMedic

The question got buried in an old thread, so just gonna drop it here.

Anyone have any thoughts on choosing between Creighton and University of Florida for hybrid critical care programs? Both seem solid, but recent reviews (on UF at least) seem a little sparse. Doing some final reviews before I make a choice.

PM if y'all want to add more without cluttering here.
I'm curious too, so please clutter here lol.