the 100% directionless thread

Angel

Paramedic
Why is ITLS required almost everywhere?! I'd be a working medic right now (or soon) if it wasn't for that dang class.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Why is ITLS required almost everywhere?! I'd be a working medic right now (or soon) if it wasn't for that dang class.

They won't take PHTLS? I know very few people in this part of the country with ITLS... But most places around here take both ITLS and PHTLS

Angel

Paramedic
It says itls but I'm pretty sure they'll take phtls. Oddly enough I see more itls classes out there than phtls, it's just about $300 for the class.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've had (at various times) both BTLS (now ITLS) and PHTLS. I've never had employment issues (or cert issues) because I had one instead of the other.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I know they prefer ITLS here but they accept PHTLS. With that said they make people jump to ITLS on their recert cycle. I've never taken PHTLS but supposedly it's better. I didn't like ITLS at all, personally.

Angel

Paramedic
Yes it seems like itd be better just based off the total. Like we could relate to it more on the field but what do I know.
Oh well, the search continues. Trying to find it for a decent price is also hard but at this rate it doesn't even matter

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
ITLS is very process driven, I will say it helped me build a systematic rapid trauma assessment that's more in depth than what they teach in school and just as fast. The repetitions make it like second nature then I just tweaked it to my liking. Other than that, not a fan hah

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
From what im heaeing PHTLS is moving away from backboards and ITLS isn't even considering it. Just hearsay as I havent taken ITLS

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Quite the structure fire standby today. An emergency evacuation order followed by ~10 pieces of apparatus sounding their airhorns continuously for 30 seconds managed to get the attention of even this staunchly single role medic...

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
ITLS is very process driven, I will say it helped me build a systematic rapid trauma assessment that's more in depth than what they teach in school and just as fast. The repetitions make it like second nature then I just tweaked it to my liking. Other than that, not a fan hah
I agree entirely. I happened to have an amazing instructor for ITlS, which was the only reason I liked it. He was a total :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:, but he made everything in that class stick and forced you to go out of your comfort level.
As far as the actual class, it didn't have much for me I didn't know and a lot actually went against what my protocols are. A big one was head trauma. We follow EPIC in arizona, but ITlS went completely against that.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So my ex just called me up, just to have a friendly chat...at like 11:30 at night...and damn it if it didn't feel like the old days before things went to hell between us...damn near asked her out again

JPINFV

Gadfly
So my ex just called me up, just to have a friendly chat...at like 11:30 at night...and damn it if it didn't feel like the old days before things went to hell between us...damn near asked her out again
its-a-trap.gif

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Been a busy couple of days

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The Bad Touch by The Bloodhound Gang. Pretty much the best code three song ever.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just did racetrack training for our road tracks. 1 hour away from the closest community hospital and about 1:30-2 hours from the trauma center which means we fly a lot of the patients out.

Once we get the higher profile race cars that use methanol we will have a broom as a standard piece of equipment on the units. If a crash happens we are to enter the scene holding the broom in front of us. If the broom starts to melt or burn we are to turn around. Talk about crazy

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just did racetrack training for our road tracks. 1 hour away from the closest community hospital and about 1:30-2 hours from the trauma center which means we fly a lot of the patients out.

Once we get the higher profile race cars that use methanol we will have a broom as a standard piece of equipment on the units. If a crash happens we are to enter the scene holding the broom in front of us. If the broom starts to melt or burn we are to turn around. Talk about crazy

Damn... sorry PETA is forcing you to get rid of your blue canaries.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Starting tomorrow through the next two weeks I will work 180 hours. Then have 7 glorious days off and then school begins.

Gotta get that pesky A&P done... AGAIN.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
My wife got me a new stethoscope!!! It is amazing. I had a 30 dollar one it was nice and mine. But the fancy one I just got is amazing!

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Picking a degree major is not fun. Like the 4 year EMS degree because you get your medic out of it, but don't want to pigeon hole myself.