the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
So starting January there will be medics other than ocfa medics? I just skimmed through it but care to cliff notes? Lol

That's what I got was that they were developing a procedure and policy for licensing private paramedic services for 911 response.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
My favorite is cookie dough ice cream.

Is there a picture of me working somewhere that I'm not aware of? I know of one of my unit with me in it while I'm staged for a report if a naked, bloody women wearing only socks running through the hills with a machete but you can't see me :p

I used to love cookie dough ice cream, until I became too allergic to cocoa to handle it. I wish someone would make cookie dough ice cream without those little chocolate bits in it.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
What's wrong with that? If you need cover simply yell need cover over the radio and they already have your location. Chances are they're not listening to your frequency thinking, "LETS GO STABBA STABBA DA MEDICS".

It can be a problem if you are trying to be sneaky. Say mom calls 911 on behalf of her drugged out son at a different address. Probably don't want the son hearing his address, or something close to it on his scanner.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Nah, no pic I know of. This was just in reference to you saying you walked uphill both ways and me saying that perhaps you'd one day have a news article written about you pushing a patient to a hospital.

Also, I'd be a tad frustrated if someone found and took a picture of my unit as I was staging for a violent call. Kinda defeats the purpose. I laugh a little bit every time I hear someone air exactly where they're staged on the radio.

Them: "Engine 5 staged on the southwest corner of Elm and Orchard"

Me: "252 staged not there"

Gotcha, sorry rough day, not picking up on things well.

It was the news and it wasn't posted until after we cleared, plus we were chillin with A TEMS guy and a couple patrol officers that were diverting traffic so it wasn't a huge issue.

I'm not huge on the "get on the radio and help will come" especially after hitting my panic button today. Yea it works but its not as fast as you would think. 3-4 minutes is a really long time when you're on your own with only your partner and someone that's trying to hurt you.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It can be a problem if you are trying to be sneaky. Say mom calls 911 on behalf of her drugged out son at a different address. Probably don't want the son hearing his address, or something close to it on his scanner.

Lol that seems like a stretch. I guess we should never say our location on the radio for any call- what if some wacko is listening to his scanner trying to hunt us all down :lol: Is it possible, sure. Seems pretty unlikely, though. I'm with Exo on this. I don't normally say my location when staging, but I don't see the harm in it.

Aidey

Lol that seems like a stretch. I guess we should never say our location on the radio for any call- what if some wacko is listening to his scanner trying to hunt us all down :lol: Is it possible, sure. Seems pretty unlikely, though. I'm with Exo on this. I don't normally say my location when staging, but I don't see the harm in it.

You'd be surprised. We routinely do SWAT standbys too. It's always fun when you dispatched to xxxx address, Unk problem, stage out. And when you arrive you call staged at x and y streets, and all the cops freak out because it is a no knock arrest warrant on a gang banger or something.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Just a habit of mine. Obviously 99% of the calls we stage on there's not even a need, but I'd rather just air "staged" all the time than fail to when I need to.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You'd be surprised. We routinely do SWAT standbys too. It's always fun when you dispatched to xxxx address, Unk problem, stage out. And when you arrive you call staged at x and y streets, and all the cops freak out because it is a no knock arrest warrant on a gang banger or something.

We do those as well, but we don't normally talk on PD's channel. Even if we did, PD has secured channels. I'm sure they're possible to get access too if somebody knows A LOT about radios and frequencies, but your typical scanners aren't going to pick them up. Usually when PD gets mad about us getting on their channel on scene, it's because they asked for a dark radio (no traffic) during a raid, and we never heard them request for it.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So starting January there will be medics other than ocfa medics? I just skimmed through it but care to cliff notes? Lol

That's what I'm wondering too, does this mean Care, Emergency, Doctors, etc are gonna be able to start hiring Paramedics and not have to use a CCT nurse for patients that only need ALS care?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

Aidey

We do those as well, but we don't normally talk on PD's channel. Even if we did, PD has secured channels. I'm sure they're possible to get access too if somebody knows A LOT about radios and frequencies, but your typical scanners aren't going to pick them up. Usually when PD gets mad about us getting on their channel on scene, it's because they asked for a dark radio (no traffic) during a raid, and we never heard them request for it.

PD can listen to us, but we can't listen to them. And the general public can listen to us, hence the issue.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
PD can listen to us, but we can't listen to them. And the general public can listen to us, hence the issue.

Well if they want us in for a standby like that, we should probably be included in the pre-mission briefing.

Rob, I've found it much easier to come up with my location with no adrenaline going than being rushed with adrenaline, trying to find a street sign, and then keying up the radio and clearly saying where we're at. Same reason PD gives call outs on any call they're on.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
No clue how I got picked to picked to play a patient for the medic schools NREMT testing. And it's a paid position :cool:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Just found out that I'm going from being on a BLS transfer car in a city I've spent no time in to the contract ambulance for a fire district fifteen minutes from me. 24 hour shifts from a station, don't mind if I do!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Solid work! Man that works out well.

Yea I have no idea how that happened. The Denver operation is not as hopeless as I had originally thought but it wouldn't have been a good time working there, that's for sure. Just happy to save some gas.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

So after 20 years of EMS/ER and being picked up by San Mateo AMR and working the streets for a couple months I accepted a FT Operations Field Supervisor position last month. Wow, so much goes on in the background of a EMS system and maintaining a system staus plan! I always thought my progression would have been FR, EMT, MICP, PA/RN, never in my plans did FT management have a place. Though I have to say being out of my realm and having to learn something other then higher levels of medicine has been a great and mentally rewarding challenge so far!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Well if they want us in for a standby like that, we should probably be included in the pre-mission briefing.

Rob, I've found it much easier to come up with my location with no adrenaline going than being rushed with adrenaline, trying to find a street sign, and then keying up the radio and clearly saying where we're at. Same reason PD gives call outs on any call they're on.

I do agree with you however our units are tracked via GPS that's very accurate. Sometimes it fails but the vast majority of the time it works well.

I learned today how difficult it is to try and explain where you are (we had moved a bit from the unit) while you're out of breath and restraining a guy twice your size that was just trying to kill us.