the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Really do not want to go dig out a tie and slacks out of my closet and go apply for jobs, but alas.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Really do not want to go dig out a tie and slacks out of my closet and go apply for jobs, but alas.

Go with a suit, I'm tellin' ya. It makes a difference! I'm convinced it's what got me a job offer over a guy who went with a shirt and khakis.

Regarding dating, I've been very much into the coffee or drinks date first, then do a dinner. I think it's both tasteful and fun.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Considering I often drink a RedBull followed by a cup of coffee or two in the mornings...this just sounds like a way to pee less.

Good to know I'm not alone in that practice :D

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Go with a suit, I'm tellin' ya. It makes a difference! I'm convinced it's what got me a job offer over a guy who went with a shirt and khakis.

Personally I think suits are over rated. I usually wear a nice button up shirt (no tie) and a pair of dress pants. I have been offered a job everytime I interviewed and never feel underdressed at formal meetings or events.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I have nothing to talk about anymore now that I'm off the bus :sad:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Personally I think suits are over rated. I usually wear a nice button up shirt (no tie) and a pair of dress pants. I have been offered a job everytime I interviewed and never feel underdressed at formal meetings or events.

I agree and have had similar experiences. Even with just the nice button-up and slacks, you still tend to be better dressed than most of the people you interview with.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I have nothing to talk about anymore now that I'm off the bus :sad:

You can still complain about undereducated basics/medics and all that jazz ;) :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
...and today's lesson on why you should wear gloves when observing.

Watching a patient going through an induced vaginal delivery today. The patient had a history of difficult deliveries, so the nurses were helping to put the patient into McRobert's position. One of the nurses needed to go help adjust the doppler since the fetal scalp electrode wasn't giving a good signal and the baby was having some pretty bad decels. ...and that's how I got a front row seat to The Show.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
You can still complain about undereducated basics/medics and all that jazz ;) :p

but to what point and purpose :sad: I'm just gonna continue my schooling. Isn't worth trying to educate the people around me. They don't want to listen.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I just had an EMT-B tell me he had almost 6 years of ALS experience.

LOL WUT?

How does that work? Just because the medic has showed you how to spike a bag and place a 12 lead doesn't mean you have "ALS experience"

:rofl:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
PRN EMS Supervisor interview next Tuesday.... Talk about being nervous, I thought the TEMS interview was nerve racking! Thinking it's going to be the same as TEMS though, not enough experience. BUT it gets my name out there and hopefully will be a step in the right direction. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky, but I'm looking at this more as an opportunity to see the process, make my intentions known and hopefully open up some doors in the future. PRN Supe is the short term goal FT Supe where I'm at now is the long term one. Flight would be cool too but I feel like I'd get bored doing mostly IFT and sitting around for the majority of 24 hour shifts. 5-10 years from now I'd love to be "Robb, EMS Supervisor, TEMS Medic, CCEMT-P." :D

Confirmed my much overdue and long awaited vacation today, too bad I have to tough it out until the end of March but it's going to definitely be worth it!. A week in Whistler, BC snowmobiling with a pro rider, a couple of his friends and potentially a professional photographer? I think yes! Looks like I'm going to be putting in even more throttle time than I usually do to get ready for this.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
How does that work? Just because the medic has showed you how to spike a bag and place a 12 lead doesn't mean you have "ALS experience"

Works about the same way that every whacker, scanner nut, and disgruntled first responder tells me they know how I should be doing my job... Responding to or listening to a call is nowhere near close to answering a line, and running an incident.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Works about the same way that every whacker, scanner nut, and disgruntled first responder tells me they know how I should be doing my job... Responding to or listening to a call is nowhere near close to answering a line, and running an incident.

True.

But I know for a fact I could do a better job dispatching than a few dispatchers I know.

When I can keep track of where each unit is and their general off times in my head why can't they do it with a huge computer screen and a 60 inch flat screen with a giant area map with live tracking on it?

Not hating on dispatchers, but personally, I think it should be a requirement to have field time under your belt to dispatch, specifically for dispatchers in System Status Management systems. We aren't just little dots moving around on a screen. When you tell us to move 10 inches on your screen it's more like ten miles for us. When you make the little ambulance icons drive in circles around the city all night that's a crew that's having to do all that driving.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Regarding dating, I've been very much into the coffee or drinks date first, then do a dinner. I think it's both tasteful and fun.

I usually skip the jacket when I am just going to grab an application and maybe talk to an HR person. For interview, suit all the way, always. It can't hurt, and I know for a fact it made a big difference in landing my last job.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
True.

But I know for a fact I could do a better job dispatching than a few dispatchers I know.

When I can keep track of where each unit is and their general off times in my head why can't they do it with a huge computer screen and a 60 inch flat screen with a giant area map with live tracking on it?

Not hating on dispatchers, but personally, I think it should be a requirement to have field time under your belt to dispatch, specifically for dispatchers in System Status Management systems. We aren't just little dots moving around on a screen. When you tell us to move 10 inches on your screen it's more like ten miles for us. When you make the little ambulance icons drive in circles around the city all night that's a crew that's having to do all that driving.

I agree there are plenty of bad dispatchers, and with out a doubt you should have some amount of field experience required. Even if that experience is just ridealongs, which is what our agency requires.
What gets me in particular are the ICs during large incidents that forget there are 3-4 of us for at least 5 radio channels, additional calls, and 50-100+ responders. That and the crews that while I understand are tunneled in on their own micro-universe, and forget that we're handling the macro-universe. I didn't fail to acknowledge you, or send you the specific unit you asked for without having my reasons (normally that I'm triaging you in the macro-universe).

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I just had an EMT-B tell me he had almost 6 years of ALS experience.

LOL WUT?

:rofl:

Did that comment come up as 6 years on an ALS shift? Or 6 years "doing ALS"? Around here when an EMT says ALS experience, we mean on a 911 shift since that's what we call those shifts.

I'm guess he was a d-bag and questioning you.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Apropos to nothing in this thread recently...

I'm going to take one of my sabbaticals. The new-member-idiocy or trolling is making my diastolic rise and my fingers to do rude things on the keyboard.
I'll lurk until I'm civil again.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I'm going to take one of my sabbaticals. The new-member-idiocy or trolling is making my diastolic rise and my fingers to do rude things on the keyboard.
I'll lurk until I'm civil again.

Give in... let the hate consume you...