the 100% directionless thread

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Give in... let the hate consume you...
01_periscope.gif

Lurking, can't read you. LALALALALALALALA

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree and have had similar experiences. Even with just the nice button-up and slacks, you still tend to be better dressed than most of the people you interview with.

I haven't seen that yet. Is that for EMS, mostly? I've interviewed for finance/business type roles and they've all been suits.

I usually skip the jacket when I am just going to grab an application and maybe talk to an HR person. For interview, suit all the way, always. It can't hurt, and I know for a fact it made a big difference in landing my last job.

Makes sense.

01_periscope.gif

Lurking, can't read you. LALALALALALALALA

You can't hide for long :p

p3c.jpg

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I haven't seen that yet. Is that for EMS, mostly? I've interviewed for finance/business type roles and they've all been suits.[/IMG]
Yeah, every Fire and EMS job I've applied for. I could understand suits being more prevalent in that environment.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yeah, every Fire and EMS job I've applied for. I could understand suits being more prevalent in that environment.

There were people wearing suits at the FireTEAM entry exam that I took recently, which I thought was a little excessive in a room of 600.

Someone also wore a suit to a CPAT practice session at a community college. They changed, but I was still shocked.

There are some candidates out there that are convinced that the FD is tracking them as a potential applicant, I swear.

Speaking of the CPAT, I misunderestimated it a bit. If it had been the real test I wouldn't have made it by two seconds. Granted I had no idea what to expect and have been laid up for a month with a knee injury, but still...that sting of failure.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Speaking of the CPAT, I misunderestimated it a bit. If it had been the real test I wouldn't have made it by two seconds. Granted I had no idea what to expect and have been laid up for a month with a knee injury, but still...that sting of failure.

I failed my first time too, don't feel bad. Just don't make the mistake of drinking Redbull on your way to do it. I was so dehydrated after the stair climb I almost passed out.

Otherwise just be sure you can handle the stairs and the rest is usually much easier.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The only time I wore a non-coat and tie to an interview was when it was an interview and skills testing... and then it was khaki pants and a polo shirt, with a coat and tie to the follow up interview.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I failed my first time too, don't feel bad. Just don't make the mistake of drinking Redbull on your way to do it. I was so dehydrated after the stair climb I almost passed out.

Otherwise just be sure you can handle the stairs and the rest is usually much easier.

Yes, pounding coffee was a poor decision, though I think I would have run off the road without. The test was at 8am, and I live two and a half hours from it. I did a terrible job "preparing," I was out late at a bar with some friends who had just returned, didn't eat breakfast, and got lost. I will not repeat that February 7th.

JPINFV

Gadfly
This image might have made it into a presentation I'm making for tomorrow...

tumblr_m6e3h6AbWK1qfimf0.gif

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
That sounds startlingly like my first experience, down to the long drive and poor hydration choices.

Is this a specific department CPAT or is it a general one for use with multiple applications?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That sounds startlingly like my first experience, down to the long drive and poor hydration choices.

Is this a specific department CPAT or is it a general one for use with multiple applications?

The general variety.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
There were people wearing suits at the FireTEAM entry exam that I took recently, which I thought was a little excessive in a room of 600.

Someone also wore a suit to a CPAT practice session at a community college. They changed, but I was still shocked.

There are some candidates out there that are convinced that the FD is tracking them as a potential applicant, I swear.

Woaaah, 600!? Wow. That's a lot of people to take one test!

What'd you take the CPAT for? EMS?

I suppose that makes sense. I would've thought fire would have suits, though -- considering how hard it is to get a fire job!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

I suppose that makes sense. I would've thought fire would have suits, though -- considering how hard it is to get a fire job!

600 must be nice! I tested against 4000 :p (The worst I've heard of is something like 20,000 :ph34r: )

I've never heard of an EMS agency using the CPAT before.

You'd be surprised. I've seen people show up to interviews in other departments station uniforms. Departments that they didn't even work at!! :rofl:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

600 was one test. There were three tests given that day. 1800 applicants (I think), for 32 spots, with a possibility of 30 more. This was a fire gig for a large city in Colorado. They are the "EMS centric" FD I talked about earlier.

I did not score well enough on the FireTEAM to get an interview, that silly test was the only thing that determined whether or not you go an interview.

A CPAT is the only requirement for hire, so I signed up for one in the even I finagled an offer. I'm going to take it just in case another Fire/EMS opportunity arises, and I am not wasting 125 bucks.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Aye, I had an interview today and while it was "just" for an IFT job, I was shocked that one of the candidates showed up wearing jeans and skate shoes.

I can't imagine showing up to any form of interview in less than slacks and a tie, though I usually opt for a suit. It's sitting in my closet, why not use it once in a while?

Heck, even for a phone interview a couple years back I wore slacks and a tie. Helped get me in the right frame of mind.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
A CPAT is the only requirement for hire, so I signed up for one in the even I finagled an offer. I'm going to take it just in case another Fire/EMS opportunity arises, and I am not wasting 125 bucks.

Interesting. One would think that you're more than qualified for an FD/EMS gig!

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I have not been this freaking tired in a long time. I hate it when you feel like a toy dispatch plays with all night long.....

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I cannot wait to be back on days. 3 more weeks! No matter how tired I am I get a second wind at midnight and I don't like it on my days off. I will say I got a pretty sweet shift for the next bid with an awesome partner. Would've been nice to get a weekend day off but beggars can't be choosers, right? This whole moving up the seniority ladder isn't to shabby.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I kinda liking tapatalk 2.

Kinda hard to get used to.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Oh and 40 hours down. 12 more to go and I can sleep!

Who ever thought it was a good idea to start the nursing process while still in medic and working full time?