the 100% directionless thread

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Why? Do you know someone with an extra glottis? Tell 'em to put it on Craigslist. :)

Google is confusing me. So a LMA is a supraglottic device but a king tube is an extraglottic device then in another place it calls a LMA a extraglottic device.

I have no idea what I would do with an extra glottis.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Went on a call for a lady with a chest tube. She was transferred to an ECF that did not have the equipment for the tube. We got there and he was hypoxic and she had rales in lower lobes.

We would of had a 20min transport time. So I called for ALS. Since we don't even have a pulse ox to monitor. They only had a 3min response time. And the lady started complaining of cheat pain.

My partner got pissed. An said " I don't see the big deal. We can just hook her up to the suction in the truck".

Lord help me.

Are you guys ALLOWED to take chest tubes?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's 110 degrees here today and the fire department ambulance comes into the ER with a SOB patient. The firefighters are complaining about how hot it is but of course they are wearing bunker gear for no reason.

I was soo tempted to say "it's actually not bad if you guys would take the bunker gear off on medical aids". Sadly I didn't say it because I need to make friends at this job haha

Anjel

Forum Angel

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
It's 110 degrees here today and the fire department ambulance comes into the ER with a SOB patient. The firefighters are complaining about how hot it is but of course they are wearing bunker gear for no reason.

I was soo tempted to say "it's actually not bad if you guys would take the bunker gear off on medical aids". Sadly I didn't say it because I need to make friends at this job haha

But its really important to look cool, no matter how hot you may be.

Then pretend to complain about it to the hot nurses to make them notice you and hopefully start a conversation?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Are you guys ALLOWED to take chest tubes?

I'm not sure. I've always operated on the "if the patient can be discharged home with it, I can take it" mentality. As such, I once took a patient with a chest tube with a flutter valve on it.

I think the problem with a SOP in regards to attached equipment is that it can be overly restrictive when it comes to unusual equipment. Is a paramedic needed for a patient with a rectal tube because it's not spelled out specifically in the scope for EMTs, even though it's the GI equivalent of a foley? Is a paramedic really needed for all chest tubes, or is it a case by case situation erroring on the side of caution?

Anjel

Forum Angel
I'm not sure. I've always operated on the "if the patient can be discharged home with it, I can take it" mentality. As such, I once took a patient with a chest tube with a flutter valve on it.

I think the problem with a SOP in regards to attached equipment is that it can be overly restrictive when it comes to unusual equipment. Is a paramedic needed for a patient with a rectal tube because it's not spelled out specifically in the scope for EMTs, even though it's the GI equivalent of a foley? Is a paramedic really needed for all chest tubes, or is it a case by case situation erroring on the side of caution?

Regardless if we could. I didn't want to go twenty minutes with a pt who was having a hard time breathing and getting worse by the minute. And I sure as hell wasn't gonna hook it up to the truck suction like my idiotic partner suggested.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Regardless if we could. I didn't want to go twenty minutes with a pt who was having a hard time breathing and getting worse by the minute. And I sure as hell wasn't gonna hook it up to the truck suction like my idiotic partner suggested.

The stability of the patient is a different situation than the presence or absence of attached appliances in determining which level is appropriate for the patient.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Do you know why the patient had the chest tube? Some lung CA patients with chronic effusions can dump fluid out of their chest tubes. I had a patient who filled up two of those atrium drains in one 12 hour shift. Also (correct me if I am wrong) never hook up a chest tube to direct suction.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you know why the patient had the chest tube? Some lung CA patients with chronic effusions can dump fluid out of their chest tubes. I had a patient who filled up two of those atrium drains in one 12 hour shift. Also (correct me if I am wrong) never hook up a chest tube to direct suction.

Yeah only as a temp measure on low intermitent while debugging your pleuroVac.

I was amazed the first time we drew off 3+L of fluid during a routine thoracentesis. Patient was slightly short of breath but had somehow had become pretty tolerent of it all. We did him at least 8 different times before TCN was injected into the pleural space to prevent further effusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel

She was changing curtains and fell. Ended up with a hemopneumo and a massive infection. She was in the hospital for somewhere around 4months.

And yes JP I was just stating even if we could take chest tubes. I still think it was more appropriately an ALS transport based on my limited knowledge and tools.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So I have these four giant manilla envelopes that I bring back and forth to wherever I am living with "important stuff" in them. I threw most of it out today (old bank stuff, random ambulance service HR people business cards, school documents), but I did come across my preceptor evaluations from my EMT class. I'm only two and a half years in at this but it was a nice short trip down memory lane.

Included in the "skills performed section" was "appropriate deflection of unwanted sexual advances." Yes.:D

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
How I feel this morning:
tumblr_m752euhjRC1qb6ikpo1_250.gif
tumblr_m752euhjRC1qb6ikpo2_250.gif

saskgirl

Forum Crew Member
Yep it's official I'm becoming an old lady...
My husband just bought me a sewing machine and I am excited about it...