• Weekly

• Monthly

• Every shift

• bi-monthly

• just annual competancies

Results are only viewable after voting.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
simple question... I know in the fire service, training is typically done at least once per shift (in theory anyway), but I haven't seen the same thing happen in EMS. And I don't mean FTO time, I mean once you are fully cleared and credentialed.

At my last FT EMS job, we did training quarterly. At the job before that, bi monthly. At the job before that, well, we didn't.

the only "criteria" I am including is that you are being paid for your time (doesn't apply if you are a volunteer), it's formal or structured training (we are going over equipment, reviewing policies, with some type of plan or goal, etc), and it's relevant to your job.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Casted my vote based on my experiences in non fire based services, all LA Co private ambulance companies. Outside initial employee training, I think there was one time in the few years I was doing that where LA Co actually updated some protocols and we had a formal in service training on them (I believe it was tourniquets officially added....).

Other than that, beyond the initial employee training, yeah it was show up, run calls, "haha training? Whats that...."

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
i offered continuing education training every month. My private ambulance agency didn’t make it mandatory though.

I also did a mandatory 8 hour skills assessment for everyone annually.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
At the private service I worked at we only did in-house training when required by an outside agency.

I remember training on ResQCPR (required by hospital), Epi Pens (required by medical control authority), and large-scale MCI/hazmat incident (required by state).

In retrospect I wish I had training on EVOC, assisting ALS units on scene, lifting/patient movement, and pediatrics.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I train my people weekly on how to drink coffee and drive very fast without spilling a drop. THAT is important.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Our expectation is an hour each of EMS and fire (as in everything besides EMS) training every 48.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The ground job: we have protocol update classes every 6 months however I would hardly call this educational or informational. More like a way to get a couple of hours on the paycheck.

The flight job: we do everything from monthly case reviews, monthly training at the base level, quarterly training in person and online, yearly cadaver labs and scenario based testing.

So they are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum

AIR

Forum Probie
We train monthly. Our monthly training sessions count toward our refreshers so our "Refreshers" are continously occurring. Our service has EMRs, EMT Basics and Advanced EMTs. We all train together.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Once a month — usually three hours. These days, it’s usually what NREMT would call F3 but sometimes F5.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
At least twice a month. One is generally education based (case reviews, guest lecturers, etc). The other is more operations, program updates, etc. This doesn't include clinical days, special project meetings, cadaver or skills labs, etc, which are in addition to the twice-monthly meetings.

On top of that, there is both aviation and health training we have to do yearly online.