EMT Oath- My problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

grump

Forum Probie
If thats the biggest problem you encounter....You will lead a charmed life.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
So if you do mutter the word god in a sentence, whats gonna happen? Will you explode? If you put as much thought into things that are really important as you do trifling over a three letter word, you should do okay.

Funny how people text OMG all the time but yet they are so vehemently opposed to show respect at someones dinner table.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I am pretty opposed to any individual having to recite pledges to a mythical being, especially when forced to do so. I do not believe conformity is an acceptable way to deal with something your opposed to.
Maybe Rosa Parks should have just kept her mouth shut and sat in the back? Give me a break.

At the end of the day you got 2 choices, make a big deal out of it and try to get the policy changed perhaps with the help of an advocacy group for these things.

Or two, simply do not say that part, or be a smart *** and say "Odin" or "flying spaghetti monster"

JPINFV

Gadfly
We're really comparing a dinky EMT oath to Rosa Parks? Snort.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
An "oath" for ambos? sounds a bit over the top if you ask me; the Policing Act specifies the Oath of Office of Constable but they are discharging statutory powers and swear to serve the Crown, the Ambulance Service is not a Crown servant, I mean, really?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
First you need to decide if you want to be the first martyr at this school or if you just want to get your pin and move on.

Me myself, I would protest and also get legal involved. There are plenty of atheist organizations that act promptly in situations like this to assist those in your position. I know as I am a member of many of them and I proudly donate my money to help those willing to take the stand against public institutions infusing religious concepts.

The choice is yours. If you are not in a position to do so, I completely understand, therefore you either skip the ceremony or simply not repeat the oath. My personal second option would be to attend but be noticed--noticed for not repeating the oath. I would not say any of it as that would stand out more.

I do not need to pledge an oath to be a good EMT or Medic.

Last option is to not attend but again I would make it known why I was not there.

JPINFV

Gadfly
An "oath" for ambos? sounds a bit over the top if you ask me; the Policing Act specifies the Oath of Office of Constable but they are discharging statutory powers and swear to serve the Crown, the Ambulance Service is not a Crown servant, I mean, really?
Crown? We don't serve no stinkin crowns. :D :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
Neither do I, although a crown, robe and septor might not be a bad idea ... well, on second thought not so much :D

Queen Elizabeth II begs to differ.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Queen Elizabeth II begs to differ.

I wrote a significant rant about how I feel regarding the Canadian/Australian/New Zealand/British monarchy, but then deleted it in the interests of keeping this topic on topic.

Let's just say that if the oath in question was to QE2 instead of God, I would have a quite a bit more sympathy and understanding for the OP. :p

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
Kind late to this, but generally most oath today have a secular version, like one swearing for citizenship/military.
(one can omit "so help me God" if one is a non-believer)
The version endorsed by NAEMT currently is the secular one, people should ask their program director if one can use this instead.

Personally, I think oath ceremony is a right direction as long as people can choose between religious/secular version, omit it all together if desired (some religion forbid taking oath). For general public and many students, it could install a sense of professionalism since doctors and nurses usually have one during their school.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If one needs to rely on an oath to instill a sense or perception of professionalism then we are in pretty bad shape. I would much rather prefer the education, the community involvement and some good old fashion organizing and lobbying do all the heavy lifting...I mean seriously, an oath?

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
If one needs to rely on an oath to instill a sense or perception of professionalism then we are in pretty bad shape. I would much rather prefer the education, the community involvement and some good old fashion organizing and lobbying do all the heavy lifting...I mean seriously, an oath?

Well, not long ago there were popular movements in several states pushing paramedics from "certification" to "license" as a sign of professionalism on par with Nursing.

If oath and other ceremonies really mean nothing, why do most other uniformed/medical professions do it and treat it seriously? Law Enforcement, Firefighters, Judicial, Armed Forces, Doctors, Nurses...etc Maybe they actually mean something to the general public?

I agree it's not a priority to raise professionalism, but I am also surprise how many in the EMS side view so negatively at oath or commission ceremony.

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Well, not long ago there were popular movements in several states pushing paramedics from "certification" to "license" as a sign of professionalism on par with Nursing.
Hmm, not long ago you say? Tell me where has this gotten us in terms of a "profession"?
If oath and other ceremonies really mean nothing, why do most other uniformed/medical professions do it and treat it seriously? Law Enforcement, Firefighters, Judicial, Armed Forces, Doctors, Nurses...etc Maybe they actually mean something to the general public?
I don't think they mean anything to the general public, I think they mean more to these respective professions themselves, again a term EMS is battling to this day.
I agree it's not a priority to raise professionalism, but I am also surprise how many in the EMS side view so negatively at oath or commission ceremony.
One more time, we have way bigger problems from the bottom up than to fool ourselves into thinking an oath will create this standard of professionalism we're all too often known to go on about. This goes to the bottom of a big pile of issues within the profession itself. What makes you specifically think it's something worth promoting so much so that it will impact the masses in this line of work?

I am being serious, I'd like to hear you explain it. And by explain I mean something aside from "if it's good enough for 'X' profession, it's good enough for us." Self-entitlement has gotten us nowhere as a "profession", and the sooner you realize that, perhaps the quicker you can properly focus on where to effect change the most.

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
I am not a expert in reforms, just offering some personal opinion coming from a different background.

I have taken different oath three times in my life, first as an immigrant, in the military, and in SAR with local sheriff. Each time we would treat it as an important, if not scare events with family, friends, local officials and even media. We were each time explained it's ancient tradition dated to Romans, and to take pride in our achievements and embrace our new identity. It did installed self-confidence in many of us
So I am shocked here because it's my first time encounter people viewing such occasions so negativity.

I simply think the completion of a two year paramedic degree and licensing should be treat as a life event, a symbol of one's entering a career of public service, something students can take pride in. Not just another paper, routine duty and "non-sense".

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I am not a expert in reforms, just offering some personal opinion coming from a different background.

I have taken different oath three times in my life, first as an immigrant, in the military, and in SAR with local sheriff. Each time we would treat it as an important, if not scare events with family, friends, local officials and even media. We were each time explained it's ancient tradition dated to Romans, and to take pride in our achievements and embrace our new identity. It did installed self-confidence in many of us
So I am shocked here because it's my first time encounter people viewing such occasions so negativity.

I simply think the completion of a two year paramedic degree and licensing should be treat as a life event, a symbol of one's entering a career of public service, something students can take pride in. Not just another paper, routine duty and "non-sense".
This displays life experience, which I respect. I don't know that we're (I'm) viewing it so much as negative more so than insignificant (at least at this point) in the face of all of the other, more important steps needed to take before we've even earned the title of a "profession"; thus far we haven't.

An oath won't change where we are, or effect change drastically, and we're in need of drastic changes, IMO. Our number one priority is restructuring our educational standards, or lack there of. Badges, oaths, patches, pay, etc. means little without the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.