EMT Oath- My problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedGood

Forum Crew Member
I am getting ready to graduate from a 2 year paramedic program in May. We are the first year this Community College has had an associate program and I am assuming there will be about 15 of us to graduate. We are having a pinning ceremony separate from the main college walk-the-stage graduation.
My teacher has posted the EMT Oath. For those of you who don't know what this is:

Be it pledged as an Emergency Medical Technician, I will honor the physical and judicial laws of God and man. I will follow that regimen which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patients and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, nor shall I suggest any such counsel. Into whatever home I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of only the sick and injured, never revealing what I see or hear in the lives of men.

I shall also share my medical knowledge with those who may benefit from what I have learned. I will serve unselfishly and continuously in order to help make a better world for all mankind.

While I continue to keep this oath unviolated, may it be granted to me to enjoy life, and the practice of the art, respected by all men, in all times. Should I trespass or violate this oath, may the reverse be my lot. So help me God.

Written by Charles B. Gillespie, M.D.; Albany, Georgia

Is this something that any of you have had to say at pinning ceremonies? Is is something required of Paramedics? I am a little offended that my publicly funded Community College is making us recite something that makes us pledge ourselves to "Gods Law...So help me God." I know there has been some atheist discussions in here? So fellow atheists? What have you done? Spoken up? Just stood there and not said the words? Or just say it and it doesn't matter? Or just skip pinning all together? I live in the Bible-thumping south so I know that by saying something it will piss folks off. On the other hand, my parents raised me to stand up for myself and for others who could not. I'm down with taking an Oath. I'd love to do something like the "Declaration of Geneva" Here it is:
AT THE TIME OF BEING ADMITTED AS A MEMBER OF THE MEDICAL PROFESSION:

I SOLEMNLY PLEDGE to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;
I WILL GIVE to my teachers the respect and gratitude that is their due;
I WILL PRACTICE my profession with conscience and dignity;
THE HEALTH OF MY PATIENT will be my first consideration;
I WILL RESPECT the secrets that are confided in me, even after the patient has died;
I WILL MAINTAIN by all the means in my power, the honour and the noble traditions of the medical profession;
MY COLLEAGUES will be my sisters and brothers;
I WILL NOT PERMIT considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, social standing or any other factor to intervene between my duty and my patient;
I WILL MAINTAIN the utmost respect for human life;
I WILL NOT USE my medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat;
I MAKE THESE PROMISES solemnly, freely and upon my honour.

Ok fellow medical professionals-- Let your thoughts roll

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
There is an EMT oath? *eyeroll*

I know my school hasn't had such nonsense.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
This seems a bit over the top. Haven't heard of anything like it before.

That said, the God references aren't anything more extensive than the American Oath of Allegiance, or even the Sworn Testimony Oath in a courtroom... Do you feel uncomfortable with those?

Quite frankly, a reference to 'God' should only offend atheists. Pretty much every other religion has a figure they can ascribe to that term, so it is pretty widely accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gastudent

Forum Crew Member
In my opinion it's not that big of a deal. It's not like they are asking you to join a cult or something. If you are looking for advice I would say just say the oath tell them to have a nice day and go on with your life; Or you can flat out refuse. I don't think they will not let you graduate for it. Your choice really.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Dont drink the Kool Aid first...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Umm... so don't say that part.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
cross your fingers during that part:rolleyes:

Lol this.^^^

Seriously though I facepalmed when I read the words emt oath.

I have never heard of an emt or Medic oath before. I wouldn't say it because it is stupid and I would feel like an idiot. God has nothing to do with it.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I never say the god part in anything. So darth vader help me.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll leave aside what I think of the oath itself. As a fundamentalist agnostic my approach during prayer, grace or similar is to just practice respectful silence. The words don't mean anything to me, so they have no impact, but to the people who do believe it means a lot. Out of respect for them I stay silent or now my head. I don't feel oppressed or offended and the benefit to myself of causing a stir does not outweigh the harm to those that believe.

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
I try really hard to abstain from getting involved in, or contributing to, anything negative at all here. I mostly try to stick to advice regarding EMS in the Denver metro area or the service I work for directly. I also have a touch of experience at the state level so I may (likely not) chime in there from time to time. All that being said; one step behind EMS tattoos I think that may be the silliest EMS related thing I've come across. Well, all the t-shirts that are peddled at the state EMS conference are really bad, so we'll call the oath number three. I think that's fair.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I try really hard to abstain from getting involved in, or contributing to, anything negative at all here. I mostly try to stick to advice regarding EMS in the Denver metro area or the service I work for directly. I also have a touch of experience at the state level so I may (likely not) chime in there from time to time. All that being said; one step behind EMS tattoos I think that may be the silliest EMS related thing I've come across. Well, all the t-shirts that are peddled at the state EMS conference are really bad, so we'll call the oath number three. I think that's fair.

I was hoping that horrible EMS shirts hadn't made it to Colorado yet, then I went to a bar in C Springs last night and saw a guy wearing a star of life polo that said "We do it so others might live." in large letters on the back below a stylized star of life. Star of life on the breast pocket, star of life hat, shirt tucked over large gut into jeans, and black duty boots to round it out.

fklasdjfkl;dsafksdal;jfk;l VOMIT.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Just hum a few bars... :rofl:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
"I am a little offended that my publicly funded Community College is making us recite something that makes us pledge ourselves to "Gods Law...So help me God."

I agree and I would refuse to say it. The easy way is just not to recite it. If they want to make a big stink of it there are plenty of large powerful groups and lawyers who might help you out for free.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
To the OP, just roll with it, and go on believing whatever you wish to believe. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time you've had to follow a rule you didn't necessarily agree with. Ask yourself if it's really worth taking a stand on this issue.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
"just roll with it" is great advice for a minority population. There is zero reason he should have to "roll with it" and pledge something that he doesn't believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.