EMT Oath- My problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
"just roll with it" is great advice for a minority population. There is zero reason he should have to "roll with it" and pledge something that he doesn't believe.

I didn't tell him to pledge anything. I suggested he find a way of getting from Point A to Point B with a minimum of fuss. How much of an accommodation he makes is up to him.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya I like the Pirate oath better

OP
OP
WickedGood

WickedGood

Forum Crew Member
Nope, have not talked to coordinator about it. He is very southern, very christian and very republican. I'm not sure I want to get into it-- that's part of the reason I was looking for some other's experiences on this forum ;o)

The hippocratic oath does not mention gods, goddesses or god any longer.
The Declaration of Geneva is far more widely used these days anyway. I posted that on my OP. And I'd be totally ok with saying that at our graduation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Nope, have not talked to coordinator about it. He is very southern, very christian and very republican. I'm not sure I want to get into it-- that's part of the reason I was looking for some other's experiences on this forum ;o)

The hippocratic oath does not mention gods, goddesses or god any longer.
The Declaration of Geneva is far more widely used these days anyway. I posted that on my OP. And I'd be totally ok with saying that at our graduation.

I took the original oath, I do not believe in Apollo, I would perform an abortion. Chemically or surgically.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

Welcome to the dirty south.

I usually tell them that my religion forbids me making oaths before false idols. Any question gets the same reply, "I'm sorry but my church doesn't believe that."

If they ask which church, "Second Baptist Son of the Adventist, but we've got rid of the snakes. May God have mercy on those poor souls that went before us."

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm neither from the South nor have I been required to take such an oath. However, if I were to encounter one, my first choice would be to ask if the program could use an alternative oath -- one that doesn't make religious references. If I were concerned about an intolerant and/or stubborn program director, I would simply say the oath and omit any religious references.

Granted, I think an oath is a little bit much. A nice idea, but whackerish if done poorly.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Unless you think it will mess with employment prospects, I'd wait and object after everything else is 100% sorted for your graduation.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If it is that big of a deal to recite something you don't believe in, just call in sick and skip the whole thing.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Welcome to the dirty south.

I usually tell them that my religion forbids me making oaths before false idols. Any question gets the same reply, "I'm sorry but my church doesn't believe that."

If they ask which church, "Second Baptist Son of the Adventist, but we've got rid of the snakes. May God have mercy on those poor souls that went before us."

*snicker*

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
If it is that big of a deal to recite something you don't believe in, just call in sick and skip the whole thing.

Or just don't say the part(s) you don't believe in.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, your EMT program is ahead of the curve! Apparently Arizona wants it for high school graduates:
I, _________, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; THAT I TAKE THIS OBLIGATION FREELY, WITHOUT ANY MENTAL RESERVATION OR PURPOSE OF EVASION; AND THAT I WILL WELL AND FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THESE DUTIES; SO HELP ME GOD.
News flash, when you graduate you have duties. DID YOU HEAR THAT HOMELESS ATHEIST GUY! YOU HAVE DUTIES!

Quackers

Forum Probie
Honestly, when I took my oath of enlistment no one would have noticed if I had omitted "so help me God" so if it bothers you I would just omit it. By the way Christopher, I assume you quoted the Arizona oath (which is a little extreme IMO) but I couldn't help but notice how similiar to my oath it was.

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly, when I took my oath of enlistment no one would have noticed if I had omitted "so help me God" so if it bothers you I would just omit it. By the way Christopher, I assume you quoted the Arizona oath (which is a little extreme IMO) but I couldn't help but notice how similiar to my oath it was.

Yeah I noticed they borrowed heavily from other sources. I can't figure out how we've swung to this crazed notion of nationalism and oaths of service...

But good news: the OP will be a good or bad EMT independently of their oath of service.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Yeah I noticed they borrowed heavily from other sources. I can't figure out how we've swung to this crazed notion of nationalism and oaths of service....

Absent some crazy toxic contamination or brain eating disease down in AZ, I would say it is the last way a dying empire can give its citizens a feeling of greatness.

Quackers

Forum Probie
Yeah I noticed they borrowed heavily from other sources. I can't figure out how we've swung to this crazed notion of nationalism and oaths of service...

But good news: the OP will be a good or bad EMT independently of their oath of service.

I don't really get that either, I mean sure oaths can mean something......if they're legally binding. Other than that they're words, I almost wonder if the OP is in one of those paramilitary type EMT mills.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't really get that either, I mean sure oaths can mean something......if they're legally binding. Other than that they're words, I almost wonder if the OP is in one of those paramilitary type EMT mills.

I think I could allow it if after every scenario they were told, "bow to your sensei!"

Quackers

Forum Probie
yes-master.jpg

Glucatron

Forum Crew Member
When my father-in-law has us over for dinner. He has everyone hold hands and say grace. I hold hands and I mumble. I've never heard of an oath, though. It doesn't seem like any of the items are that over the top. It's not saying you have to give your life or anything. I'd just get it over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.