EMT-IV class dress code

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
We spent about 45 minutes of my first class going over the rules for proper attire and classroom etiquette. We have uniforms which will be required on the 4th night of class as well as picture ID cards. Shoes will be polished, shirts tucked in, hair off the collar, and no facial jewelry is to be worn. Cell phones, pagers, etc are not allowed in class......not even on "silent" unless permission is granted on an individual basis for emergency use (i.e. sick child at home, etc). One of the requirements I think is cool is that any time someone other than an instructor or student enters the class we will be required to stand until instructed to sit again. The funniest rule is that we "must wear proper under garments at all times" ROFL - I don't even want to know why it became necessary to put that in writing :D

I rather enjoy the structured environment. It's such a breath of fresh air when compared to the lax/lazy culture of today.

JPINFV

Gadfly
One of the requirements I think is cool is that any time someone other than an instructor or student enters the class we will be required to stand until instructed to sit again.
I wonder how much of lecture time is going to be devoted to standing instead of lecturing.

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I wonder how much of lecture time is going to be devoted to standing instead of lecturing.

LOL - not much that I can see. The doors are locked when class starts and again after our break, so no one from outside will be entering unless they're specifically invited. Even our tardies will be stuck outside until break time because the instructors don't want distractions.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief

Haha. We had similar rules where I went to school. We lost more time to runs and push ups when we messed up. But, our rule was anyone not in a student uniform, and the doors weren't locked. Because it was a rule, and most people at the facility knew it, if they didn't want to disturb us, they lingered outside the door until a break.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
That kind of formality can set up a focused learning environment that allows the instructor to have full attention of the student during the class time. It also starts a team building attitude that shows the students they are a part of a team, working together. Silly yes, but very effective.

I like the formality. I like the uniform idea. It sets up the expectation that by entering this course or program that you are making a committment to be a part of the program being taught. But then, I had twelve years of wearing uniforms to school growing up.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
"Silly yes, but very effective."

If it is effective, is it silly???

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
in one of the EMT-B classes i am looking into they require dark blue pants, black belt, black boots, and a dark blue polo shirt with their logo on it. it wouldn't bother me having to wear it to class, in fact i see it as a sense of pride like "hey look at me i am going to be an EMT" ;)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
"Silly yes, but very effective."

If it is effective, is it silly???

I've found often in teaching that silliness is extremely effective in some cases.

reaper

Working Bum
I think all schools should require it. Most people are not used to wearing uniforms. This is a way to get them in the habit of being professional. Most services have the same rules and this gets the students a head start.

I agree with it giving them the teamwork concept. Now the standing part, that is to much FD involvement. If most of your students are from FD's, then that would be fine.

John E

Forum Captain
Boy do I wish...

that we could have locked the doors and not allowed the "tardies" to enter the classroom. It's disrespectful to the instructor and the rest of the students to show up late and disrupt the entire class.

I took a simple 1 unit Intro to Resp. Therapy class that had more restrictions about attendance and tardiness and test taking than any other college class I've ever taken. It worked too, those who couldn't be bothered to show up on time, didn't come back. If you couldn't be bothered to turn your cell phone off, you were invited to finish your conversation in the hallway or out of the building cause you weren't coming back into the classroom. Those who couldn't or wouldn't play by the rules, were invited to leave post haste. I still remember the instructor telling one guy that if he turned his head and looked around at his fellow students one more time, he was out while taking the midterm. Guy just couldn't figure out why looking at other people's tests was against the rules...Needless to say, out of the 50 plus that enrolled, we very quickly got down to a more workable class size, weeded out all of those who were too stupid to know what respiratory therapy was or who had no intention of ever following that career choice in the first place.

John E.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This is something I instituted tonight. I too get aggravated at those that can't tell time. I now have a policy that the doors will be locked until the next break, if they are not there they will not get a chance of taking the pop tests, or hear announcements, etc.

R/r 911

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
We spent about 45 minutes of my first class going over the rules for proper attire and classroom etiquette. We have uniforms which will be required on the 4th night of class as well as picture ID cards. Shoes will be polished, shirts tucked in, hair off the collar, and no facial jewelry is to be worn. Cell phones, pagers, etc are not allowed in class......not even on "silent" unless permission is granted on an individual basis for emergency use (i.e. sick child at home, etc). One of the requirements I think is cool is that any time someone other than an instructor or student enters the class we will be required to stand until instructed to sit again. The funniest rule is that we "must wear proper under garments at all times" ROFL - I don't even want to know why it became necessary to put that in writing :D

I rather enjoy the structured environment. It's such a breath of fresh air when compared to the lax/lazy culture of today.

Hey, I've heard every one of those rules somewhere before if I could just remember where it was :lol:

After getting further into class and seeing the change in the environment I am 100% for every one of those rules. I never really realized how lax I had been since I got out of the service until I took a good look at the big picture like this. I still wish our class uniform was the same as our ride along uniform but at any rate I'm glad to see the class as a whole acting like a profession. Now if only we could get the medics that already graduated to act like that.

Edit: for any of those who doubt the rule about standing when a superior enters the room look at the lessons it has taught our military. That rule really covers all your bases for instilling professionalism, respect, team unity and the list goes on. If you watch the first day of class I bet no 2 people ever stood up at the exact same time, just wait till the last day of class and watch the room as every head is in perfect unison. It's really neat to see the transformation.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Hey, I've heard every one of those rules somewhere before if I could just remember where it was :lol:

After getting further into class and seeing the change in the environment I am 100% for every one of those rules. I never really realized how lax I had been since I got out of the service until I took a good look at the big picture like this. I still wish our class uniform was the same as our ride along uniform but at any rate I'm glad to see the class as a whole acting like a profession. Now if only we could get the medics that already graduated to act like that.

Edit: for any of those who doubt the rule about standing when a superior enters the room look at the lessons it has taught our military. That rule really covers all your bases for instilling professionalism, respect, team unity and the list goes on. If you watch the first day of class I bet no 2 people ever stood up at the exact same time, just wait till the last day of class and watch the room as every head is in perfect unison. It's really neat to see the transformation.

That's fine in the military or FD. I have no SUPERIORS in EMS. I have supervisors, but they are not Superior. I stand for a judge in a courtroom and that's it!;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Rid - We have this in our class... if you are more than 15 minutes late and aren't excused, you get to wait outside.

Jon

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I submit that dress code be inversely proportional in strictness to caliber of students attending the course. I know an EMT school that could probably use a dress code . . .but I also know one where everyone could show up in pajamas and still get the same grade/skills. Ask most medical students how dressed up they get for class.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
That's fine in the military or FD. I have no SUPERIORS in EMS. I have supervisors, but they are not Superior. I stand for a judge in a courtroom and that's it!;)

So you believe that you are not a subordinate to your supervisor??

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
This is something I instituted tonight. I too get aggravated at those that can't tell time. I now have a policy that the doors will be locked until the next break, if they are not there they will not get a chance of taking the pop tests, or hear announcements, etc.

R/r 911

That's exactly what happened to a couple of people last night. We started class with a test on 3 chapters and some important info. 2 people missed it. I will be willing to bet they'll either never be late again or they'll never show up for class again. Either way, the purpose is served.

Back to the dress code......I got teased a bit for spending the money on the 5.11 tactical pants. The instructor told us just a pair of black pants from Wal-Mart would have been sufficient. I bought the 5.11s because I like how they fit, I like buying things that will last, and I also feel that spending the money on them helps me to remember the end goal. It reminds me that failure isn't an option.....I'm mentally, physically, emotionally, and financially committed to this.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad

:rolleyes:
How bout your medical director?
Supervisor is not superior to you?