EMT-IV class dress code

reaper

Working Bum
:rolleyes:
How bout your medical director?
Supervisor is not superior to you?

They are SUPERVISORS. No one is SUPERIOR to me and I hope they wouldn't be to you. I do not stand at attention for my supervisors. It was required in the military. I have a choice in civilian life!;)

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I don't stand at attention unless I am at an event that requires it.
When a person whom I respect, and especially those that have authority to me come into a room, and I am not busy with an essential task, I stand and greet them.
Its a sign of respect.

reaper

Working Bum
Standing to greet someone is entirely different then an entire class standing at attention, when anyone enters a room.

OP
OP
Blacke00

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
Rid - We have this in our class... if you are more than 15 minutes late and aren't excused, you get to wait outside.

Jon

Our class policy is that later than 30 minutes is an absence, regardless if you show up 31 minutes late. But you only get 2 absences per semester.

I wanna say there's a rule about 2 or 3 tardies equal an absence too, but I might be making that up. =)

Kevin

JPINFV

Gadfly
:rolleyes:
How bout your medical director?
Supervisor is not superior to you?

Superior in the sense of my boss? Yes.

Superior in the sense of needing to stand, salute, and other pomp and circumstance? No. (and, no, standing and greeting someone with a kind word and handshake is completely different than the pomp and circumstance described in this thread).

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
Honestly, I don't have any problem with the standing part. I don't remember describing it as "standing at attention". We stand, we're told to sit, and we sit. It's happened all of 1 time so far. It gets the thought into my head: "When this happens, this is how I respond".

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Reaper, you're taking the word superior for something other than what I intended. A supervisor is your supervisor because he's probably been doing this longer than you, that alone is reason to respect what he's done and standing is simply a form of showing that respect. I'm not saying snapping to attention but simply standing up (for me at-ease is the most comfortable standing position anyway) and showing that respect is what counts.

Now I'm not trying to turn EMS into the military, obviously if your partner has been in EMS longer than you and they walk into the station you don't need to stand up, that would just be awkward. In a group setting or if someone of much higher authority enters the respect should be given. For example if the medical director walked into my station I would stand up to greet him.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I got teased a bit for spending the money on the 5.11 tactical pants. The instructor told us just a pair of black pants from Wal-Mart would have been sufficient. I bought the 5.11s because I like how they fit,
Hey, I'm not saying this in a mean way, but I would have teased you as well. Normal people don't buy 5.11 tactical pants. You bought them because you were in an EMT class, not simply because you like how they fit. You would be lying to yourself if you argued that, IMO.

OP
OP
Blacke00

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, I'm not saying this in a mean way, but I would have teased you as well. Normal people don't buy 5.11 tactical pants. You bought them because you were in an EMT class, not simply because you like how they fit. You would be lying to yourself if you argued that, IMO.

Sure, he bought em cause he's in EMT class, but why not get quality pants that will carry-over into his job once he gets out of class and gets certified? As opposed to buying cheap pants that will be "good enough" for class, then just have to buy better pants later anyway?

Might as well get a good pair now, and save money in the long run...

Just like a stethoscope. I bought a cheap one for class, and wish I'd just gotten a nice (lower-end) Littman, since I'll probably have to later anyway.

Kevin

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
If he wants to buy them because that will be the uniform when he gets hired as an EMT that's fine (and he should state that as his primary reason), though he should not be offended if he gets teased for it, since those not EMT student pants. He's imitating a field EMT while in the classroom...which honestly isn't a big deal, but just expect some teasing.

OP
OP
Blacke00

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
If he wants to buy them because that will be the uniform when he gets hired as an EMT that's fine (and he should state that as his primary reason), though he should not be offended if he gets teased for it, since those not EMT student pants. He's imitating a field EMT while in the classroom...which honestly isn't a big deal, but just expect some teasing.

I just think people in general should stop worrying so much about what others choose to spend their money on...or at least not be so judgmental...

on a side note, I just realized this forum has a spell-checker...sweet =)

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant

I did say I bought them because they remind me of the end goal as well. The fit was important as was the durability....had they felt like they were lined with shards of glass I would not have been impressed.

Being in the class and having no intention of failing, I figure they were a good purchase. In the absolute worst case scenario (failure), I can at least buy the knee pads for them and wear them for spelunking :D

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
hmm I was thinking about getting some 511's for my class too, maybe I shouldn't, don't want to stand out. I just figured I would buy them now so I don't have to buy them later when I get a job....

reaper

Working Bum
Buy whatever you want. As long as they meet the requirements, don't worry about what others think!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
OMG... are we discussing if 5.11 pants are whacker-wear?

YES. They are.

BUT - they are only obvious to whackers - in EMS, Fire, or others, like the tacticool gear junkies you see at gun shows and the range.

So perhaps you should rebut by acknowledging that they are as much whackers as you are.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
OMG... are we discussing if 5.11 pants are whacker-wear?

YES. They are.

BUT - they are only obvious to whackers - in EMS, Fire, or others, like the tacticool gear junkies you see at gun shows and the range.

So perhaps you should rebut by acknowledging that they are as much whackers as you are.

Jon, you say 'whacker' like its a bad thing! :rolleyes:

To the OP, if you can't take being teased, leave EMS now! No matter what you do, someone is going to find fault, ridicule you, tease you like an older sibling, play jokes on you and push your buttons hard and often.

Do what you want, because you want to and for your own reasons. Don't expect anyone to be impressed with you. Take the teasing with a smile and simply wait for your opportunity to get back at those who do. It will come, they have to sleep sometime!

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
That's what I did too. Got some 5.11 pants for school, cuz I knew that when I was outta school I'd just use the same pants for my job. Whacker? Not really.. why spend money on cheap Wal-Mart pants then spend more money on 5.11's? Why not just get the good ones from the very beginning?
So I went out and bought a Littmann before class started, used it in class and now use the same one for in the field. Is that whackerish? You gotta buy one eventually.. unless you wanna use the community steth thats full of others ear wax.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
hmm I was thinking about getting some 511's for my class too, maybe I shouldn't, don't want to stand out. I just figured I would buy them now so I don't have to buy them later when I get a job....

They don't just let you wear regular pants?
I just wore jeans for mine...they come in black.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Pride in what you wear........

Well here is my thought on this so far. I think it is important to have a specific dress code. As far as buying "trauma pants", when I was a student I was so pround that this was the first step to my professinal dream, dang right I did dress the part! :) Supervisers from fire and the ambulance will see you as a student and down the line, a possible new hire. First impressions are very powerful things......... ;)