Big cities who have seperate EMS from FD.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
You lose, try again.

Couldn't have picked a region where EMS is more intertwined with fire...

In other words the Too long, Did not read version of my post :p

However I've wondered about San Diego, is EMS separate there it is it run by the FD like LA and Orange Counties?

marshmallow22

Forum Crew Member
Austin-Travis County EMS is a 3rd service. Cover the city of Austin and Travis County.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Cleveland, Oh

Most major cities in NJ
Trenton, Newark, Camden, Jersey City, New Brunswick, Technically sorta-kinda Atlantic City

Elizabeth is probably the biggest fire-based system, but they have a good system, one of the few

OP
OP
N

ncmedic24

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Yeah I am looking for both 3rd party or EMS only with a FD that would be what I am trying to find. Thanks again for all the help guys.

mike1390

Forum Captain
In other words the Too long, Did not read version of my post :p

However I've wondered about San Diego, is EMS separate there it is it run by the FD like LA and Orange Counties?

San diego City is run by R/M which houses its rigs in city fire stations, pretty sure its dual medic, Then there are many smaller department within San Diego county which either contract ALS transport of do it themselves. Nobody has the same LACoFd model where a squad follows up with a BLS ambulance. I stopped wondering about San Diego city when I found ouy R/M pays their medics 9/hr.

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
San diego City is run by R/M which houses its rigs in city fire stations, pretty sure its dual medic, Then there are many smaller department within San Diego county which either contract ALS transport of do it themselves. Nobody has the same LACoFd model where a squad follows up with a BLS ambulance. I stopped wondering about San Diego city when I found ouy R/M pays their medics 9/hr.

If this is just in reference to California then feel free to ignore me, but we use the ALS squad BLS ambulance system. Not that I necessarily want to be associated with LACo.

mike1390

Forum Captain
yeah I was just referring to the fact nobody in San Diego has that same Model.
where in Delaware do you work?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
SFFD also hires H3 non suppression medics

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
yeah I was just referring to the fact nobody in San Diego has that same Model.
where in Delaware do you work?

I work in Sussex County, but the whole state (all three counties) uses the same model. The only paramedics in Delaware are associated with one of the three counties, the State Trooper helicopter, or the Lifenet helicopter.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I work in Sussex County, but the whole state (all three counties) uses the same model. The only paramedics in Delaware are associated with one of the three counties, the State Trooper helicopter, or the Lifenet helicopter.

Do you have medics doing ALS IFTs as well or RNs ala California?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Fire based single role: FDNY EMS, Alexandria City (VA), Chicago, Philadelphia. Third Service EMS: Charleston County EMS (SC), King County Medic One (WA), Lee County EMS (FL), Richmond Ambulance Authority (VA). Police Based: Nassau County (NY) PD EAB

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Fire based single role: FDNY EMS, Alexandria City (VA), Chicago, Philadelphia. Third Service EMS: Charleston County EMS (SC), King County Medic One (WA), Lee County EMS (FL), Richmond Ambulance Authority (VA). Police Based: Nassau County (NY) PD EAB

I believe SFFD also
Edit: never mind I see someone else said that

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

Great question. I think a couple private IFT services may have recently started having medics, but I'm honestly not sure. I know ground critical care units often come down from Christiana Hospital up north and they have RN staffing. For the day to day IFT stuff though, I couldn't tell you with certainty what they run.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

Some of us CA private IFTs do use Medics for ALS and Nurses/RTs for CCT. Of course not everyone does this (I think it's Orange County where they won't even allow medics to work private IFTs)

waffleiron

Forum Probie
Most of the counties in North Carolina have separate transporting ALS from the Fire department, including the large cities. Buncombe County EMS for Asheville, Medic for Charlotte, Forsyth County EMS for Winston-Salem, etc.
Worcester, MA has all of their EMS done by the paramedics of UMass Medical Center. Manchester, NH has AMR. New Orleans has third service municipal EMS. Albuquerque has a weird system where the fire department runs the call on scene but then a Presbyterian Health ambulance will transport the patient.
Fort Worth uses Medstar which I've heard good things about. Tulsa and Oklahoma City use EMSA. Fort Collins CO uses Poudre Valley Health Services. A lot of the towns surrounding Denver use Rural Metro.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Subbed. For future reference :)

Also Hennepin County (Minneapolis) uses hennepin Med center hospital/county based service I believe

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Great question. I think a couple private IFT services may have recently started having medics, but I'm honestly not sure. I know ground critical care units often come down from Christiana Hospital up north and they have RN staffing. For the day to day IFT stuff though, I couldn't tell you with certainty what they run.

PrimeCare has some DE medics. St Fran and Christiana in Willmington also use medics for IFT. Heart to Hart and Lifestar have applied for DE ALS licenses but I don't believe either have been granted yet. (It's a big political mess)

You may see Lifestar medics doing monitor/IV transports from Nanticoke, but they're MD medics running to MD hospitals.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Most of the counties in North Carolina have separate transporting ALS from the Fire department, including the large cities. Buncombe County EMS for Asheville, Medic for Charlotte, Forsyth County EMS for Winston-Salem, etc.

There are less than a handful of Fire-based ALS transport departments in NC (I work for one of them).

Regardless, EMS in NC trickles down from the County level, either as a Public Utility Model or contracted 3rd service.