Big cities who have seperate EMS from FD.

ncmedic24

Forum Ride Along
I am looking to try and find bigger cities who either have fire dept. who run seperate EMS like a Kansas City, MO for example. Or a county run EMS system in a larger metro area like a Wake County, NC. Or even like a Louisville metro EMS. Just looking for bigger city 911 without having to have a fire background. Thanks to anyone that can help out.....

OP
OP
N

ncmedic24

Forum Ride Along
Thanks, I guess it would be called a 3rd service, what I was looking for anyways. Thanks for the heads up, I will take a look...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Boston EMS runs a 3rd service system.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Lawton, Ft. Worth.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Pittsburg Pa
Syracuse NY
Rochester NY
Newark NJ
Atlantic City NJ
Most of Delaware's ALS is 3rd service
Chester PA

kind of depends on how you define a "bigger city"

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Define big city.

REMSA in Reno/Washoe County serves a population of about 500k with no association with the fire departments.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Not a city, rather a County 3rd service

Williamson County EMS in Texas

OP
OP
N

ncmedic24

Forum Ride Along
By big city I jist meant a place with around 100,000 or more people. I was looking at Kansas City, MO gire department and they hire just medic with no fire background. Are there any other FD 's that do the same? Thanks for all the responses. I am just trying to do some research.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
If you want to be a part of the fire department but not do fire at all, FDNY comes to mind. They employ EMTs and Medics under the fire umbrella, but they are single role EMS.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
By the way, this model isn't really considered third service. What you described is still fire based EMS of some sort, just with single role EMS. Third service typically implies a county or local government that has police, fire, and EMS under their auspices. It can also mean a public utility model private or hospital based EMS service.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Grady EMS in Atlanta, GA. System is through Grady Hospital, the public hospital funded by Fulton and DeKalb counties. Did my clinical time with them for AEMT. Extremely busy service, decent trucks/equipment. Good place to start out, but I wouldn't want to finish my career there. Many of the Grady medics move to the suburban counties to work for such companies as MetroAtlanta Ambulance and Rural/Metro that run suburban 911.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Detroit, MI kinda does.....but I'm not sure if Detroit would be considered a city or a third world country....

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Los Angeles, CA

LA City Fire handles all EMS transports in their own BLS and ALS ambulances.

LA County Fire does contract with private ambulance companies, but still provides their own medics who get dispatched to every scene and are in charge of the call.

Same holds true with the smaller fire departments throughout the rest of LA County, either the FD transports in their own rig, or if they do contract with a private company, the FF-Paramedics are in charge.

According to the County EMS agency, there are 28 licensed private ambulance companies, only 6 of them have 911 contracts (and two of those only serve a single city each for 911) the rest are all IFT only.