Working EMT wearing Paramedic patch

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Overall I think Rid said it best. Just because you are a medic deosn't mean you still operate as a medic. One agency I work for this happens quite frequently where the service is an I/B truck but very often the intermediates are paramedics. They must only do skills to the intermediate level.

At another agency, every medic must complete regular training and sim-lab time. If the instructor/QA-QI person feels you are not up to par then you are demoted while you refresh your skills and re-test. (This does not happen very often but has happened) While the person is working at the basic level they don't change uniforms though.

It really comes down to the company policies. If they want no patches for anyone and pink shirts then thats what it is. (although to be honest I am not sure about state regs across the country - near me there is nothing from the state saying you must wear X)

Sorry this happened, sucks to be excited to get to that level and have this happen. Don't let it discourage you- just abide by their rules and let it go in the past, its not worth fighting over. Take the patch off for now, go through training, patch back on. Its only a few weeks.

Well said,

I have a feeling it will feel twice as good when you get to put it back on officially :)

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
To clarify, I am not a medic student. I am a State Certified Paramedic.

I have inquired about other company policies and it seems it was not an issue at work places of work. This is a local policy, I suppose.

Regardless, I didn't realize it was such a huge deal.

-rye

For the life of me I cannot figure out what you are trying to say in your original post. Its a confusing read and not structured very well. Your profile says Paramedic Student, so I am further confused to the point of not even being able to ascertain what your asking or posting about.

If you are a student paramedic, you cannot wear a paramedic patch.
If you are a paramedic working for a BLS service as an EMT, you should not even be there in the first place. If you wear paramedic insignia, you might be expected to preform paramedic level care, which you cannot.

FF894

Forum Captain
Correct me if I'm wrong Jed, but it sounds like he is now a certified paramedic in the State of Florida. He was working at his company as an EMT while going through the medic program. Now that he is certified as a medic, that doesnt mean the next day he works at the ALS level on the first medic truck leaving the base. He must still complete the companies training and orientation period before he can work with them as a medic.

That makes total sense to me and should be how it is done. Again, just becuase one now has the EMTP certification, it does not mean you can immediatly start working at that level. Medical Director, supervisors, FTO, etc all must sign off hopefully according to some policy and procedure that outlines the process.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So cooking eggs is an ALS Procedure?:p

Well, it is an invasive procedure unless you're boiling them...but that would require an advanced assessment to determine when they're really done.:p

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, it is an invasive procedure unless you're boiling them...but that would require an advanced assessment to determine when they're really done.:p

Protocol says we need to consult medical direction in order to scramble them.

Dobo I don't see a problem with what you're saying as long as you use your head about it. Obviously walking onto an emergency scene and saying you're a paramedic or a paramedic in training could get sticky but I don't see anyone banging down your door and throwing you in jail for explaining to your mother what you're going to school for. Like was said before if you want to be on the safe side most people know what an EMT is and what a Paramedic is they just think it's the exact same thing so just call yourself an EMT regardless of cert level and you'll be safe.

OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
Hey all,
Well the bit about the eggs actually made me laugh out loud...

But regardless, I've done a little research. My own work partner (a paramedic) stated she wore her patch two to three weeks before starting the training program and walked into our Head Quarters proudly sporting it. Many others have said the same. I think I'm not allowed to wear it because fairly recently we had a Paramedic demoted to EMT level and made a huge fuss about how he had to wear an EMT patch again, etc. They told me they are getting this written in our policy book. It's convenient it's not in their now, though, and they are telling me it's policy and yadda yadda yadda. Whatever, it kind of killed my moment I guess.

"For the life of me I cannot figure out what you are trying to say in your original post. Its a confusing read and not structured very well. Your profile says Paramedic Student, so I am further confused to the point of not even being able to ascertain what your asking or posting about. "

Yeah, dude, and my avatar is toast but I assure you I'm a real person.....

-rye

reaper

Working Bum
You still have me confused! If you have your FL medic license, what training program are you going into? Do you mean an orientation period with the company? If so, were you hired as a medic or EMT?

tydek07

Forum Captain
Where I currently work, management doesn't say much about it. Talked to one person and he said that you have the right to wear your NR patch as you are certified with them. So... you always see EMT's who passed the NR test and put their patches on the same day they get their nr card. I agree with others, it can/does cause problems because when people look at you (for your training level) they tend to look at the patch instead of the ID badge.

Am I for or against putting your paramedic patch on, even though you haven't completed the process to work as a medic? Honestly, I do not care... Its really not that big of deal.

Take Care,

tydek07

Forum Captain
Where I currently work, management doesn't say much about it. Talked to one person and he said that you have the right to wear your NR patch as you are certified with them. So... you always see EMT's who passed the NR test and put their patches on the same day they get their nr card. I agree with others, it can/does cause problems because when people look at you (for your training level) they tend to look at the patch instead of the ID badge.

Am I for or against putting your paramedic patch on, even though you haven't completed the process to work as a medic? Honestly, I do not care... Its really not that big of deal.

Take Care,

I was talking about National Registry Paramedic patches when I wrote that... I know of some services that make their own paramedic patches and do not use the NR ones, now that would be a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
You still have me confused! If you have your FL medic license, what training program are you going into? Do you mean an orientation period with the company? If so, were you hired as a medic or EMT?

I agree. When asked why he lists his training as Paramedic student below his avatar he just talked about toast.

Even if he is a licensed Paramedic, it is his company's uniform and their job description. It is not that uncommon for a company to tell someone they will be working as an EMT until they are either cleared or have been demoted. If the company says you will be an EMT with the company until they say your job description is Paramedic, then that is what you are.

We also have had drivers for our specialty teams who are Paramedics. We have been lenient in allowing them to wear their patch even though they do not function as a Paramedic and have very little patient contact. The shirts they are given just have the hospital logo patch. The drivers put the Paramedic patch on the hospital's shirt themselves. Occasionally someone in administration will say it is a misrepresentation of who is actually on the team.

Many of us who have different medical licenses may only use the patch for the job we are working at that time. MSDeltaFlight explained that clearly in another thread.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't get it. In this post you claim to be both an EMT and a paramedic. Which are you? If you're an EMT, then it's foolish to wear a paramedic patch. I can't imagine why you'd think your employer would be okay with it. If I was your chief I'd be concerned about your judgment.

You're being quite harsh. He is a FL medic and waiting to get into a transition program for his new state to transfer his card over. Sheesh!

reaper

Working Bum
You're being quite harsh. He is a FL medic and waiting to get into a transition program for his new state to transfer his card over. Sheesh!

But, it says no where in his post that he is in a different state! That is what we are trying to figure out here?

VentMedic

Forum Chief

If he did not meet the qualifications of EMT-B for that state to wear that patch, he may be wearing a training patch. It is doubtful a company would even consider putting a person in a patient care role if they could not function under one of the licenses and fulfill the job description. They would be working under the direct supervision of a FTO until they are cleared to function at their job title.

FF894

Forum Captain
Correct me if I'm wrong Jed, but it sounds like he is now a certified paramedic in the State of Florida. He was working at his company as an EMT while going through the medic program. Now that he is certified as a medic, that doesnt mean the next day he works at the ALS level on the first medic truck leaving the base. He must still complete the companies training and orientation period before he can work with them as a medic.

That makes total sense to me and should be how it is done. Again, just becuase one now has the EMTP certification, it does not mean you can immediatly start working at that level. Medical Director, supervisors, FTO, etc all must sign off hopefully according to some policy and procedure that outlines the process.

Do you guys not have some sort of similar way of operating?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why does it even matter? You are employed by a company and will meet their uniform standards. The standard for the level that you are employed at requires that you wear an EMT patch and not a paramedic patch. It's no different than the company saying that you have to wear black boots and not tennis shoes. Uniforms should not be up to what the individual wants to put on it, but what the employer wants to put on it. Until your job description is changed from EMT to paramedic you are an EMT in the eyes of the company.

FF894

Forum Captain
Right, just as I said in a previous post. However, not all companies/agencies have such policies. Not saying thats the case here because from the sounds of it he works for a private company and it would be hard to believe they didn't. It is not unheard of for an EMT-P, patch and a all, to be working as an EMT-B or EMT-I. They must simply work within the limits of position they are working.

I understand what you are saying about policies and procedures and wear the proper uniform for the position you are working, but the thing is thats not exclusive. Not all companies/agencies have those rules and regulations. It may be the case that if one is certified to the paramedic level but working as an B or I today then he still has a paramedic patch on his shoulder.

Also, I can think of a few companies that don't even have cert level patches on uniforms, just company patch and flag.

TomB

Forum Captain

Any misunderstandings in this thread are entirely due to the vague and careless explanation provided by the original poster, which automatically makes me think he's to blame for his current situation (whatever the hell it is).

Tom

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
I dont see how you can be licensed and not trained thats backwards. I would think you would need to have completed your training to be licensed and to wear a patch. Honestly if you don't know how to be a paramedic you shouldnt have the patch on.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I dont see how you can be licensed and not trained thats backwards. I would think you would need to have completed your training to be licensed and to wear a patch. Honestly if you don't know how to be a paramedic you shouldnt have the patch on.

There's a difference between being trained/educated to the paramedic level and receiving the company specific field training that prepares a provider to work in that specific system. Any system that throws new employees (new to the system or new to the provider level) out into the world without field training that is specific to that system AND level is dangerous. This is different than internships and clinicals that one receives in class.