Working EMT wearing Paramedic patch

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
So I'm working a double today. I took a shower at my station and put on my fresh new Paramedic shirt (with patch) as I headed onto shift. Keep in mind I'm am EMT right now and don't start training until a week or two. The station I am working at is where we get our uniforms. I figured since I'm here I'll have all of my EMT shirts switched over. You see, I live a good 50 miles away and heading to do this on my own time is not cost effective or practical. Little did I know... Within two hours of my shift I had e-mails and Officer's on my case about how I can't do that. Honestly, I had no idea how big of a deal it was. I am a State of Florida licensed Paramedic waiting to get into the training program. I am being told that I cannot wear my uniforms until I am in training. I'll admit, it was a little insulting especially since the BLS engine crews around here (fire and EMS are seperate) have Paramedics on their units and still wear their patches... Is this a state law or what? Surely it can't be the former given the info about the engine crew... Enlightment would be great before I type an email to my medical director and have my foot up my mouth.

Oh yeah, the kicker? The only time I wore this shirt without my jacket was for about 40 minutes while making eggs in station (and no, my partner didn't tell, but I know who did........)

-rye

TomB

Forum Captain
So I'm working a double today. I took a shower at my station and put on my fresh new Paramedic shirt (with patch) as I headed onto shift. Keep in mind I'm am EMT right now and don't start training until a week or two. The station I am working at is where we get our uniforms. I figured since I'm here I'll have all of my EMT shirts switched over. You see, I live a good 50 miles away and heading to do this on my own time is not cost effective or practical. Little did I know... Within two hours of my shift I had e-mails and Officer's on my case about how I can't do that. Honestly, I had no idea how big of a deal it was. I am a State of Florida licensed Paramedic waiting to get into the training program. I am being told that I cannot wear my uniforms until I am in training. I'll admit, it was a little insulting especially since the BLS engine crews around here (fire and EMS are seperate) have Paramedics on their units and still wear their patches... Is this a state law or what? Surely it can't be the former given the info about the engine crew... Enlightment would be great before I type an email to my medical director and have my foot up my mouth.

Oh yeah, the kicker? The only time I wore this shirt without my jacket was for about 40 minutes while making eggs in station (and no, my partner didn't tell, but I know who did........)

-rye

I don't get it. In this post you claim to be both an EMT and a paramedic. Which are you? If you're an EMT, then it's foolish to wear a paramedic patch. I can't imagine why you'd think your employer would be okay with it. If I was your chief I'd be concerned about your judgment.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
2 weeks isn't that long, I know you are excited to get that paramedic patch on your shirts, but if you aren't allowed because of either company policy or state law, then just take it off.. slap the old BLS patch back on and hang tough for a few more shifts.

Code 3

Forum Captain
Enlightment would be great before I type an email to my medical director and have my foot up my mouth.

Think about the liability for a second. Here you are acting as a BLS provider, yet you're wearing an ALS provider patch.

Firemedic515

Forum Probie
He is a State of Florida licensed Paramedic! I don't see how it could be a liability to wear a patch on his sleeve.

Code 3

Forum Captain
He is a State of Florida licensed Paramedic! I don't see how it could be a liability to wear a patch on his sleeve.

He hasn't gone through training yet and is operating as an EMT-B. He doesn't have access to a drug box and cannot use any ALS interventions. His scope of practice right now is strictly BLS.

TomB

Forum Captain
He hasn't gone through training yet and is operating as an EMT-B. He doesn't have access to a drug box and cannot use any ALS interventions. His scope of practice right now is strictly BLS.

I don't think the ambiguity is helping here. He hasn't gone through what training?

Firemedic515

Forum Probie

That is correct. I still see no liability. Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Code 3

Forum Captain
I believe it sounds like his company has a training program where he'll work with an FTO.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
It would be equivalent to me wearing the five bugles of a Chief officer, rather than my current rank. We have had the same training, attended the same schools, (I've actually been in the fire service longer), and riding in the white truck. Circumstances and fate being what they are, he's a Chief and I'm an Injun. You can't represent yourself to be something you aren't, and by wearing a paramedic patch before you're permitted by department policies or guidelines, I feel that's what you're doing. Wear the patch you're currently entitled to wear, and just let it go. By the by, most of the agencies I've ever worked with do not allow you to wear a patch that you are in training to attain; you wear the patch of your current skill level, or have STUDENT emblazoned on the (for example) Paramedic patch you're in school for. Best of luck in your studies and your career in EMS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
To clarify, I am not a medic student. I am a State Certified Paramedic.

I have inquired about other company policies and it seems it was not an issue at work places of work. This is a local policy, I suppose.

Regardless, I didn't realize it was such a huge deal.

-rye

TomB

Forum Captain
Forgive me. Apparently I'm a little slow. What is the exact reason you are not allowed to wear a paramedic patch. Please be explicit.

Code 3

Forum Captain
No one is saying you're not a medic. If you are not supplied the proper ALS equipment then you're not acting/working as a medic. You are currently hired and working as an EMT-B with BLS equipment. Until you're actually in the training program, I'm going to assume you're not allowed to use ALS interventions.

We have paramedics that work on BLS rigs because they want extra shifts or they are waiting for an opening as a medic. When they are on a BLS rig, they wear an EMT patch because that is currently what their scope of practice is. It doesn't matter what license they hold, you can only use BLS interventions and therefore you're acting as an EMT-B.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
its a ridiculous rule. they are just giving you(and everyone else thats ever been down this road a hard time).

the average joe doesnt have the foggiest clue what the names we have for different skill levels mean. they dont know whats different about a paramedic than an emt. they couldnt even take a stab at what seperates and i from a medic. theres no liability there.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The point is that he NOT a Paramedic at that company as rather a Paramedic is a position as much as a medical license or certification. The medical control has the option what one can work at.

Why they do not want him to or why they are making a big deal is because if he misrepresented himself (Paramedic insignias) and only acted as a EMT then there is a high risk of misrepresentation.

I don't blame the service. He is NOT a Paramedic at that service, alike I have Paramedics that are nor functioning as a Paramedic, hence they will wear what level they are working at. For example; an Paramedic maybe working as a Intermediate.

R/r 911

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Okay a slight off topic question but it sort of fits in with this discussion. I have always known what an EMT is and never needed explaining but it seems a lot of people are seriously out of the loop on the term. So when I am asked what I am studying though it is not to be a full paramedic I say paramedic because that seems to be all they understand, even when I told my mother what I wanted to study I had to say "it's a first step to becoming a Paramedic"

To all the true Paramedics, does this type of thing tick you off that someone may say that? It's not that I want to over inflate my abilities, it's mor for clarification purposes.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yes, in fact one can be fined or imprisoned for misrepresenting their license level or misrepresenting themselves (i.e EMT announces they are a Paramedic).

R/r 911

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Okay, my intention is not to misrepresent myself, I don't do it to say my credentials, I simple say paramedic to some people because they don't know what an EMR Emergency Medical Responder (equivilent yo EMT-B) means. So I find my self saying a lot it is the first step to becoming a paramedic. And to add confusion to the question, in Alberta an EMT is a Paramedic in Ontario, Primary Care Paramedic. And my goal it to next year get my EMT in Alberta

I will definitely be more careful at explaining my credentials though, I don't want to either break a law nor do I want to lessen the reputations of true paramedics

FF894

Forum Captain
Overall I think Rid said it best. Just because you are a medic deosn't mean you still operate as a medic. One agency I work for this happens quite frequently where the service is an I/B truck but very often the intermediates are paramedics. They must only do skills to the intermediate level.

At another agency, every medic must complete regular training and sim-lab time. If the instructor/QA-QI person feels you are not up to par then you are demoted while you refresh your skills and re-test. (This does not happen very often but has happened) While the person is working at the basic level they don't change uniforms though.

It really comes down to the company policies. If they want no patches for anyone and pink shirts then thats what it is. (although to be honest I am not sure about state regs across the country - near me there is nothing from the state saying you must wear X)

Sorry this happened, sucks to be excited to get to that level and have this happen. Don't let it discourage you- just abide by their rules and let it go in the past, its not worth fighting over. Take the patch off for now, go through training, patch back on. Its only a few weeks.