Working EMT wearing Paramedic patch

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I support at least 111 hours.

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
He is a State of Florida licensed Paramedic! I don't see how it could be a liability to wear a patch on his sleeve.

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this or not yet, but Im guessing that the liability could fall on the fact that, if you are currently "restricted" as a paramedic, have not been through the training, or not yet in paramedic status with your service, regardless of what the state says, your not yet trained on those specific protocols and guidelines to be able to practice as a paramedic for that particular service. I would think that the decision to have you wear that patch on, technically, the "services' shirt", would be dependant on your medical director saying that he now gives you the right to function as a paramedic under HIS license. Just a thought.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Also, I was not speaking to the use of lights or sirens, but using uncertified security guards or van pool drivers to respond to the scene of an emergency, which in California, is illegal in almost all instances. There is a difference in using an EMT (however long their class is) vs a driver to the scene of an emergency. The difference is that it is against the law. However, this is not the case in Vent's situation, as she is doing transfers.

In Florida, as in many other states, the driver of an ambulance can be anyone who meets the emergency driving requirements which does not have to include an EMT-B cert. Also, BLS trucks in these area only need 1 EMT and 1 driver. This is extremely popular for volunteer agencies where this is very common but it can 911 or IFT. So NO, it is not against the law in may states.

I haven't checked CA's laws lately but I do get a giggle (and frown from disappointment) when their CCTs must call a second RN for a ventilator patient and both EMTs ride up front.

CCT provides the EMT(P) with the opportunity to see inside an ICU and critical care medicine in action. Many who call themselves CCEMT-P may have never had that opportunity before getting the CCT job and are a little more than surprised when they see a real ICU patient and not one from tele that just needed a monitor and a KVO IV. Yet, many prefer to ride up front if they are not needed.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
In Florida, as in many other states, the driver of an ambulance can be anyone who meets the emergency driving requirements which does not have to include an EMT-B cert. Also, BLS trucks in these area only need 1 EMT and 1 driver. This is extremely popular for volunteer agencies where this is very common but it can 911 or IFT. So NO, it is not against the law in may states.

I haven't checked CA's laws lately but I do get a giggle (and frown from disappointment) when their CCTs must call a second RN for a ventilator patient and both EMTs ride up front.

CCT provides the EMT(P) with the opportunity to see inside an ICU and critical care medicine in action. Many who call themselves CCEMT-P may have never had that opportunity before getting the CCT job and are a little more than surprised when they see a real ICU patient and not one from tele that just needed a monitor and a KVO IV. Yet, many prefer to ride up front if they are not needed.
Vent, I just looked into it. You must have an EMT card to get an ambulance Driver Certificate in California, however there is one exception. A volunteer may, if approved by his chief and the DMV on a case by case basis, obtain a volunteer only ambulance certificate. This is restricted to non-commercial volunteer organizations and the individual may only drive. There must also be an EMT on board. I think this is a poor arrangement in California because there are enough EMTs in the state to put two on a rig. So I suppose there is a similarity to Florida here.

BTW, I had a gung ho CCT RN who was what he called in his own words "Vent Certified" and would take on CCT-RN-RRT calls by himself. Not sure if this was legal, I worked for a shady company at the time. Now, we are required to have an RRT and an RN on board for most CCT transfers, you may be happy to hear. The arrangement works well.

I enjoy going inside the ICUs and cath labs on CCT. It does provide some learning and exposure for me, and is a nice break from SNF to ER, and ER to SNF. Its great to observe and learn, but as an EMT I simply do not have the background education to know what is going on in the treatment courses and even listening to the report. I ask and I learn, and my RNs love to teach, but at the end of the day I am a driver and an observer, which is not a bad thing in itself. This type of exposure should be required in the initial education of EMTs and paramedics.

I value your experience and advice.

OzAmbo

Forum Crew Member
I have 2 patches on my shirt. On the sleeves it says "Rural Ambulance Victoria" on the front it says "Paramedic"

Scemantics aside, if aske to remove the one that says "Paramedic" ill cut the things off without an problem. ALS or BLS the absence of a patch, a silly little fabric "thing" does not change my thought processing or job performance. It doesn't change my sense of belonging or pride in my work. Now cut the other one off, the ones that identify me as a part my organisation, the organisation the exists implicitly to deliver pre-hospital care and i may be offended.

I think we are placing far too much emphasis on "names" and "skills" as opposed to "job performance" and identity.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
BTW, I had a gung ho CCT RN who was what he called in his own words "Vent Certified" and would take on CCT-RN-RRT calls by himself.

Once someone like that is "Vent certified" they can add "Knobologist" to their list of titles. Only one who truly lacks the education behind ventilators would make such a statement out of ignorance as to how much information and ventilator technology there is in that specialty.

bittner

Forum Probie
I am not sure how the rules are in Florida, but in Texas you cannot present yourself as a Paramedic until you are finished with school and have taken your National Registry and have become Licensed in the State of Texas. If you are caught, you will lose your patch and any chances of getting it back.

rescuebill

Forum Ride Along
While I was a Paramedic in Maryland, I wore a Maryland Paramedic patch on 1sleeve, and my affiliation patch on the other, regardless of what level I was working at.

If I went out on the BLS ambo, I was still a Paramedic, just on a BLS truck, If I worked a suppression shift, driving the engine or ladder truck, well, I was still a Paramedic then as well.

I kinda skipped to the end, with out reading all the posts, so if this was said already, then forgive the "repost".

Also, it sounds as if the origional post was trying to say he was a Florida Certified / Licensed Paramedic, who had completed everything except his agency specific training. We called it "ride outs" here in Texas, and Precepting back in Maryland. He is still a Paramedic, and just can not function, Unsupervised, as a paramedic

Firemedic515

Forum Probie
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this or not yet, but Im guessing that the liability could fall on the fact that, if you are currently "restricted" as a paramedic, have not been through the training, or not yet in paramedic status with your service, regardless of what the state says, your not yet trained on those specific protocols and guidelines to be able to practice as a paramedic for that particular service. I would think that the decision to have you wear that patch on, technically, the "services' shirt", would be dependant on your medical director saying that he now gives you the right to function as a paramedic under HIS license. Just a thought.

The local service does not issue the patch. The patch is issued by Registry or the state. Thus no liability.

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
Our service issues all standard EMS patches, that way you know your scope, you operate within it, and all the lil girl games stay at school.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
you should only wear the patch that you are allowed to operate at. If you have become a medic but are not working as one, you shouldn't wear it. This is because if you wear the patch, it will be assumed by other agencies unfamiliar with you that you can operate at that level independently in an emergency. You should wait until you are employed as a medic and are cleared by whatever local medical control you have until you put that patch on. Less liabiliy and less confusion.

EMTSteve0

Forum Probie
I think that until he finishes training, THEN he should be allowed to don the proper patch. This indicates that HE has finished all training requirements to meet that specific scope of practice for the company HE is representing.

Yes I fully understand he has received his certification, but companies have set policies as well. If a company wants you to wear the patch only in training, then there's your sign. If you want to wear the badge before, work somewhere that will hire you as a Medic, but don't burn your bridges with your Chain of Command.....I see it all the time in the military with folks in upgrade training, having their OJT records signed meeting their core tasks, but haven't completed their practical portion and have to take off their MISREPRESENTED skill level. Same goes for when someone makes rank...You may have been selected or have received that skill level, but until you finish what the company (in my case military) requires per regulation, guidance, or SOP, then you cannot break your dress and appearance code.....sorry to hear about your situation; just brush off the "He/She told me he was allowed to before training" worries...Just FIDO...FIX IT AND DRIVE ON! or press on, raise the bar close the loop, shut up and color...however you wanna end the madness.....Just be professional about the manner and don't seem like a whiney newbie at the station (which of course I'm not implying you are, because it seems you haven't made TOO big of a deal about it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
Nah, took the patch off and went on with life; it did continue, after all. I just wish this policy was followed throughout the company and to all employees, but meh and whatever.

I'm in the training program now so the patch is back on... but dang, does a lot of responsibility come with this. I knew it before going in, but not a shift goes by I don't pray that I'm not in over my head and can handle whatever comes my way...

-rye

EMTCLM

Forum Crew Member
if you're a registered paramedic, then youre a paramedic. i dont really see the big deal, but if everyone is being a little uncool with the whole thing, id just switch back to the EMT patch until everything is cleared up.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
if you're a registered paramedic, then youre a paramedic.

By registered, do you mean that you have passed the National Registry exam?

The only thing that means is you have passed a test. You are not legal to represent yourself in most states as a Paramedic until you obtain a license or certification with that state. If you move to another state, regardless of what you were call in the other state, you must obtain another license in that state also to be recognized.

If you move to Oregon as a Paramedic from a state of 500 hour medic milsl, regardless of what you were called in your home state and may even be Nationally Registered, you will not be recognized by license in Oregon.

The state with the higher education requirements may allow you to work as an EMT, provided you meet those requirements, until you meet the qualifications to gain licensure in that state.

EMTCLM

Forum Crew Member
By registered, do you mean that you have passed the National Registry exam?

The only thing that means is you have passed a test. You are not legal to represent yourself in most states as a Paramedic until you obtain a license or certification with that state. If you move to another state, regardless of what you were call in the other state, you must obtain another license in that state also to be recognized.

If you move to Oregon as a Paramedic from a state of 500 hour medic milsl, regardless of what you were called in your home state and may even be Nationally Registered, you will not be recognized by license in Oregon.

The state with the higher education requirements may allow you to work as an EMT, provided you meet those requirements, until you meet the qualifications to gain licensure in that state.

Oh well I was just assuming the training was the same for the two states good point

medic417

The Truth Provider
Oh well I was just assuming the training was the same for the two states good point

You know what that word does to U.