Working EMT wearing Paramedic patch

Sasha

Forum Chief
Wearing a patch for different things? Huh?

I don't get it...

Oh well

What don't you get? That EMT and Paramedic are two completely different scopes of practice, and have two completely different patches to signify what level you are able to treat a patient at?

Hockey

Quackers
What don't you get? That EMT and Paramedic are two completely different scopes of practice, and have two completely different patches to signify what level you are able to treat a patient at?

Um yeah I know that EMT and Paramedic are two different SOP. I guess I just am used to seeing everyone in the same uniform, and only difference is in your MedControl ID or ID/Badge

Oh well

Sasha

Forum Chief
Um yeah I know that EMT and Paramedic are two different SOP. I guess I just am used to seeing everyone in the same uniform, and only difference is in your MedControl ID or ID/Badge

Oh well

Shouldn't they have different shoulder patches?

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant

With that being said two problems I see from wearing patches that you are not yet authorized to wear are. First is the fact that you or your service could have problems if a bystander makes a complaint that they saw a person wearing a EMT-P patch at a scene and all they were doing was to administer O-2 or other basic care if the case were to be brought into court for some reason. The second would be if you were on the scene of a multiple patient scene and the scene command mistook a basic for an advanced care giver and did not think they needed to call for more help. That being said while in uniform we wear patches and I.D. tags so others can know who we are and what certification we are. To misrepresent your self could come back to haunt us. Even if we are waiting on final approval of certification the highest scope of practise we can operate under is the highest certification we actually hold.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
OK, I've had it.

My turn to blow a gasket.

DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD TO DO!!

I wear my Medic uniform, complete with patches, when I work BLS.

Medics here also wear BLS uniforms with MICP patches.

You do what your uniform policy says to do.

Jeesh!:glare::glare:

Sasha

Forum Chief
OK, I've had it.

My turn to blow a gasket.

DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD TO DO!!

I wear my Medic uniform, complete with patches, when I work BLS.

Medics here also wear BLS uniforms with MICP patches.

You do what your uniform policy says to do.

Jeesh!:glare::glare:

:] You need an olam. Calm down, it's okay!

Hockey

Quackers
Shouldn't they have different shoulder patches?

Nope. We used to have different patches but we all have the same patches, same shirts, pants etc.

Where I work, and when we show up, people don't care if we are basics or medics. Hell, half the time, they don't even know the difference. If we need ALS and we're not an ALS rig, we have ALS <5 mins away

I would like to add we don't have anyone trying to act as a medic thats not. My MedControl ID states my name, picture and EMT-B. Paramedics have Paramedic or EMT-P. Thats all the distinguishing I believe we need

Last edited by a moderator:

Dustoff

Forum Probie
WOW, for me it would be more of a moral issue , plus when you go to court being sued as a Paramedic cause you performed EMT-B skills and your victim died ....Wait til you get your card in your pocket!! .

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow reading this post gave me a headache.

Thats 15 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Our medics also grab overtime on BLS trucks without issue.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Nope. We used to have different patches but we all have the same patches, same shirts, pants etc.

Where I work, and when we show up, people don't care if we are basics or medics. Hell, half the time, they don't even know the difference. If we need ALS and we're not an ALS rig, we have ALS <5 mins away

I would like to add we don't have anyone trying to act as a medic thats not. My MedControl ID states my name, picture and EMT-B. Paramedics have Paramedic or EMT-P. Thats all the distinguishing I believe we need

. The reason you believe such is because you’re not at the highest level yet. It’s easy to say "I don't see the need" and so on; when you’re not the one being misrepresented. Personally, it should be a felony for misguiding and falsifying a legal certification or license, when one is not.

Would you have a problem with a common laymen that only has first aid training wearing an EMT patch? Same difference.

R/r 911

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
How is he mis representing himself, if he is a state certified paramedic?

He is a medic, the fact his company does not allow him to work as one, doesnt make him not a medic.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
We also have had drivers for our specialty teams who are Paramedics. We have been lenient in allowing them to wear their patch even though they do not function as a Paramedic and have very little patient contact. The shirts they are given just have the hospital logo patch. The drivers put the Paramedic patch on the hospital's shirt themselves. Occasionally someone in administration will say it is a misrepresentation of who is actually on the team.
-VentMedic.

How is it a misrepresentation? If they have finished a Paramedic program and passed their tests, received their state licenses (or whatever the state may call it), than they are paramedics. How can that be a misrepresentation? Or are you saying they were hired as drivers and only drivers?

I wonder why a Paramedic would take a job as an ambulance driver.

smvde

Forum Crew Member
Jesus, all this talk about places that have only so many paramedic slots, and require paramedics to work as basics has given me a headache.

Thank God I'm here in south Georgia where we use common sense. If you are a paramedic, licensed by the state, you wear a paramedic patch. The services around here are desperate for medics, and there isn't such a thing as a BLS truck unless there isn't a paramedic available to be on it.

For those of you unfortante enough to have to work in those type services, sorry about your hard luck.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
-VentMedic.

How is it a misrepresentation? If they have finished a Paramedic program and passed their tests, received their state licenses (or whatever the state may call it), than they are paramedics. How can that be a misrepresentation? Or are you saying they were hired as drivers and only drivers?

I wonder why a Paramedic would take a job as an ambulance driver.

There were hired as drivers only. They have no direct patient care involvement. There is not the word Paramedic or EMT anywhere in their title. Sometimes we include EMT or CNA cert helpful but not required. Often someone from the transport pool (vans, security, pt shuttle etc)drives. We do require EVOC but we rarely if ever run L/S even for those very long transports. But EVOC is required for any vehicle operating with an emergency license. An EMT(P) is not required.

Reason: There is little way for a Paramedic to see the day to day workings of an NICU as Paramedic. They still learn alot since we do show them equipment, discuss the baby and they can hang in the NICU. So even if they do not have direct patient care, they will become familiar with the babies and their care. That is if they are interested. Some just like the easy job with good pay and hospital benefits.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
There were hired as drivers only. They have no direct patient care involvement. There is not the word Paramedic or EMT anywhere in their title. Sometimes we include EMT or CNA cert helpful but not required. Often someone from the transport pool (vans, security, pt shuttle etc)drives. We do require EVOC but we rarely if ever run L/S even for those very long transports. But EVOC is required for any vehicle operating with an emergency license. An EMT(P) is not required.

Reason: There is little way for a Paramedic to see the day to day workings of an NICU as Paramedic. They still learn alot since we do show them equipment, discuss the baby and they can hang in the NICU. So even if they do not have direct patient care, they will become familiar with the babies and their care. That is if they are interested. Some just like the easy job with good pay and hospital benefits.
I see I see. Disappointing for a paramedic to take a non-clinical job, but to each their own. I would be a little suspicious of letting security guards or van drivers run code, but than I remembered you are speaking of CCT not 911 response.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I see I see. Disappointing for a paramedic to take a non-clinical job, but to each their own. I would be a little suspicious of letting security guards or van drivers run code, but than I remembered you are speaking of CCT not 911 response.

The Paramedics are still in a clinical situation even if not touching patients. They are probably in one of the best learning situations inside a teaching hospital. If they can not get something out of that environment, they probably have NO interest in medicine. But, many people work BLS IFTs and still have learned nothing about taking vitals, doing an assessment or taking a history even though they have patients in front of them everyday they work.

CCT or 911, the trucks have an emergency license and are equipped with L/S. What's the difference between an 18 y/o fresh out of an 110 hour EMT-B class and a 25 y/o (requirements to drive our vehicles along with EVOC) driving a truck? They do not have to get somewhere in 4 minutes and even if they do use L/S it is for very specific reasons and not for speed. Specialty teams that must rely on speed are not very special.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Disappointing for a paramedic to take a non-clinical job, but to each their own.

Actually, it sounds like a very interesting and educational job.. I think I'd kill for an opprotunity like that!

But to each their own. It probably attracts those who aren't all about the lights and sirens, but rather the opprotunity to learn.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Play nice or the thread will be closed....

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
The service I'm with decided around the time I joined to remove EMS designations from our patch has shown in my avatar.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
To be clear, I posted out of curiosity not intending to start any sort of debate. I was merely wondering why a paramedic would take a non-clinical job after finishing school. Driving, is by definition, non-clinical. Thus far in school, I am itching to get out and use my knowledge to treat patients. I work a lot of critical care transport, and there are some limited learning opportunities. I take full advantage of these opportunities and have great relationship with all of my nurses, who have written me wonderful letters for school. Be that as it may, CCT still does not provide an EMT or Paramedic with an opportunity to practice their knowledge or skill. In California, the RN is in charge of CCT transfers and usually, she has a team of two EMT-B, and for the most part we are to do nothing but drive.l

Also, I was not speaking to the use of lights or sirens, but using uncertified security guards or van pool drivers to respond to the scene of an emergency, which in California, is illegal in almost all instances. There is a difference in using an EMT (however long their class is) vs a driver to the scene of an emergency. The difference is that it is against the law. However, this is not the case in Vent's situation, as she is doing transfers.

So no foul intended.

It should be noted that I am also not supporting a 110 hour education in this post. Far from it.