Why?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I was clued in to EMS by my two cousins, who were ex FDNY medics who left for hosp based EMS. I knew that a large part of the job is comfort care and holding the pt's hand, but I knew that I'd see a lot of cool stuff and actually treat pts when I went ALS.

As far as money, I was set up pretty quickly at a high paying hospital that does NYC 911 and IFT. I knew that if I went medic, I would make almost as much as an RN. If I went RN, I could challenge the medic. What made me go the former route is love for the job, and more importantly, the need for a pension. The hosp. EMS gig was paying well, but life after retirement is financially frightening. Think about it. Observe the quality of life of your elderly pts.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Why I got into EMS

I wanted a free season ski pass. That's it.

Deltachange

Forum Crew Member
I got into EMS because of the first aid classes I took. After I used it the first time, I got hooked on helping people. The adrenaline is a nice side benefit as well.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Lack of jobs in the philosophy factory after University.

Made money as a lifeguard through High School, started teaching FA and doing Campus Response during University. Decided by third year I enjoyed it more then the possibility of teaching and choices over the previous three years had made medical school a non-starter without essentially restarting my degree. (I was also fairly certain that I didn't have the academic discipline to succeed on that route.)

I was attracted to this profession by the changing work environment, the sense of comraderie, the intellectual challenge, the ability to impact people's lives and honesty compels me to admit that as a child I was a sucker for trucks, loud noises and uniforms. That doesn't direct how I practice in the least, but I'm sure I'm not alone in that being part of the attraction early on.

PA_EMT688

Forum Ride Along
I'm at a point in my life where I'm looking at where I was, where I am and where I want to be. Looking for some meaning outside of family life and for ways to give back to the community. I know - sounds corny, but it's true.

I've had the thought in the back of my mind for years that I wanted to help people. Pretty sure that being a part of EMS is going to fulfill the above and then some.

I'm only 6 classes in for EMT basic, but the more I'm learning and the more I hear from the instructors, the more I'm sure this is one of the better decisions I've made in my life.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
There is a guy in my class that he is only going into this for the money.

Really? Me too!

No, but in all seriousness, public service is just a calling for me. And since I like medicine and a bit of excitement...

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Do you think someone can be too caring?

absolutely. Think about this. What if you had a healthcare professional who didn't want to do anything painful or uncomfortable to a patient because they were too caring. Wouldn't that be a problem?

MrUgly

Forum Ride Along
I just had this conversation today. I was asked why did I want to be an EMT when I make good money at my day job. Simple answer: I hate my day job. I get -0- professional satisfaction; I sit on my *** all day and watch Hulu streams and wait for my phone to ring.

As an EMT, I am meeting people, and making their lives a bit better. My wife has already approved my going to medic school so I can keep volunteering and do more.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
I initially became an EMT because medicine has always been an interest to me and i figured what better of a way to expose myself to the feild. I am also extremely happy that I took the class because I love the feild, and it turned me away from engineering and towards the possibility of med school... again. However, this time I don't think my mind is going to change... again.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I loved the lights and sirens as a kid and remember watching "Rescue 911" shows and just being in awe of the people that did that stuff.^_^
now I love the adrenaline rush and being there for others. Fast pace, caring for others.:)
oh and I still love the lights and sirens:p My family thinks I am crazy to be able to identify who is resonding to what kind of call without even seeing them.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nursing school had a waitlist

Theo

Forum Crew Member
Woke up one morning, looked at myself in the mirror, and knew that I had more to offer this world. Did some research and went back to school to get my degree in Emergency Medical Services.

Upon completion I'll leave behind 12+ fairly unrewarding years spent working for a software company.

twinstar_ca

Forum Ride Along
didn't know i wanted to be in EMS originally. my dad was in the RCMP and i never wanted to be a policeman. spent 2 years after high school as a banker, then a year as a business analyst... was living in the basement suite of a couple where the male partner owned the EMS... started hanging out and going on calls.. tough to wear a suit and tie after about 4 months... the rest is hx as they say... 17 years in the biz... now i teach safety programs... love it just as much as i did being on the street... B)

MCGLYNN_EMTP

Forum Crew Member
My mom was dating a paramedic with 20 years experience when I was a senior in highschool (3 years ago)...I knew I wanted to be in the health care profession since I was a kid. My mom is an RN in the ER at a local hospital and I loved hearing her stories...I was going to go to school for nursing until my mom started dating that paramedic....Thats when I decided to start looking into EMS....I joined my local FD as a volunteer and The first wreck I ran I knew I was heading in the right direction..I dropped out of college and joined an EMT-B class within 2 weeks....5 months later I started working for Acadian Ambulance and about 2 years later..I'm a Paramedic now!! I love helping people in their time of need and just knowing that I did something for someone even if it was just provide a ride to the hospital...I helped someone in some way shape or form and thats what makes this allllll worth it.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I had just gotten released from jail, Riker's Island, NY and having been in the medical profession (an OR Tech, busted in Nursing School, yes, that dopey weed!) I thought volunteering on a local ambulance would help structure my off hours and keep me free. Flushing Community Volunteer Ambulance Corps. started the ball rolling (1973) that changed my life.

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
Thats good that you like helping people. There is a guy in my class that he is only going into this for the money.

lol well I guess he wont make it too far, anyone who is in this feild knows it is definatly not about the money. At least as a basic we dont make that much. If he wants money he should go to med school or becaome a lawyer lol

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
Thought it would look good on my CV to get into medical school (turns out I was wrong) and ended up loving it. Still went to medical school but I still run a couple nights a week.