Why?

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
I just want to know what made you think of becoming an EMT. I think it is important to remember why you became apart of the EMS family. Sometimes it is the only thing to fall back on when situations seem unbareable and you just want to give up.

I will start I guess. I was introduced to EMS by my ex. I really didn't know anything about it until I started hanging around with him. Anyways now that I am invovled in EMS there is no turning back. I love it. I love feeling like I am apart of a family. I love that I feel like someone is depending on me. There is nothing like being jolted out of bed by the sound of my pager going off. I love meeting people even if it is only for a short time. In that short time
A. I can make a difference in someones life or
B. Somone can make a difference in my life
Feeling like theres someone out there who needs me is what keeps me going when things get tough.

creative_soul

Forum Crew Member
I love helping people for one. Also, I get bored easily, so I need a career that is both interesting and fulfilling. Plus, let's face it, we all need money to live and I have a 17 month old daughter.

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
Thats good that you like helping people. There is a guy in my class that he is only going into this for the money.

creative_soul

Forum Crew Member
Not to sound judgemental, but I don't think he will make it very far. It's a stressful job both physically and mentally. It's sad that people go into healthcare without really caring about the people they are there to help. I hope he either changes his mindset or realizes it isn't the job for him before he hurts himself or someone else.

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
I don't know if he will or not. He is really cocky and set in his ways. He seems to care about no one except himself. Its really sad.

creative_soul

Forum Crew Member
Good luck to those who end up in his care. I think sometimes the universe has ways of taking care of the problems we people do not. If he is not meant to be an EMT surely something will (eventually) take him elsewhere. I hope he does not hurt too many people in the meantime. How do you like medic school so far? I am just in an EMT-B class to start but plan on moving up once I have some feild experience.

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
I hate that some people are only in EMS for the money. I mean im not saying money is bad but if thats all you care about something is wrong. One must have at least a little compassion for their patient

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate that some people are only in EMS for the money. I mean im not saying money is bad but if thats all you care about something is wrong. One must have at least a little compassion for their patient

This thread is full of "in it for the money" talk... WHAT MONEY? Want money in the Medical Field, go get your RN, PA, or MD... not your EMT or EMT-P... :rolleyes:

Do you think someone can be too caring?

Depends... I have worked with people who were too into the hand holding and completely lost when it came to the Medicine (and made mistakes)... they wanted to get into medicine to help people without the ability ot actually medically help people. Not saying that Handholding is bad... it is VERY important, but some people should be social workers and not Medical Providers... they are just good people who are not cut out for EMS...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
My parents are pushing for me to become an RN. I told them that I don't want to be an RN they just don't understand. They just keep saying well you will make good money. Well maybe I would if I did that but it wouldn't make me happy. I am happy with becoming a paramedic.

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
This thread is full of "in it for the money" talk... WHAT MONEY? Want money in the Medical Field, go get your RN, PA, or MD... not your EMT or EMT-P... :rolleyes:

Depends... I have worked with people who were too into the hand holding and completely lost when it came to the Medicine (and made mistakes)... they wanted to get into medicine to help people without the ability ot actually medically help people. Not saying that Handholding is bad... it is VERY important, but some people should be social workers and not Medical Providers... they are just good people who are not cut out for EMS...

Makes sense. As I said before I haven't had any bad calls yet so I am wondering how I will react when I get one. Should be interesting.

EMS_Junkie

Forum Probie
Summer of 2008. I live in a small town probably about 700 people. In the morning my mom came into my room and told me there was a big house fire just down the block. So we went and checked it out. (Cuz you know, thats what we do in small towns.) I overheard one of the firefighters talking saying they need help on the team. I was interested but when i asked they said that the ambulance service was needing more help, so i decided i would try out being an ambulance driver. January 2009 I signed up for the EMT-Basic course. THIS :censored::censored::censored::censored: IS AWESOME!! I LOVE IT!! I love helping people, i love being there. Its fun and exciting!!!

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
I live in a really small town. Probably less than 500 people. Put it this way, if you blink you will pass our town by. We don't even have one traffic light.

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
My main reason is that I really just wanted to help people in need, and I felt that I could do it this way.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Thats good that you like helping people. There is a guy in my class that he is only going into this for the money.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!! Sorry, couldn't help myself. Seriously though, who gets into this job for the money??? And if someone does happen to know where the money is in EMS, please share that secret with me. I really think he is going to be sadly disappointed.

creative_soul

Forum Crew Member
Do you think someone can be too caring?

I don't think someone can be too caring, I think people can care so deeply that EMS would be detremental to their mental well-being if they are unable to properly cope.