Why are you a emt?

hottrotter18

Forum Probie
I grew up around the big red trucks and firemen, so it was all i really knew. What attracted me the most was the fact that i would be able to change someones life. On their worst day, when everything is going wrong, i would be able to give my best effort and try to change that.

k8ek8e

Forum Probie
I'm in it for the money, respect, and glory.

Yeah right.

If I cared about money, I wouldn't bother. I do it because I love it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Another reason I got into EMS was that it's one of the quickest ways to make good money without going to college (A&P and pharmacology notwithstanding). We're taking about NY, though. One and a half years after completing EMT class, I was making $22/hr as a basic. One year out from medic school I was making over 30/hr. My EMT class was 2X/wk at 3 hours each evening, for about 4 1/2 months. Medic school was a little over 13 months at 16 hours/wk class (2 days), and an average of 17.25 clinical hours/wk (usually 16 hours/wk with a few 24 hr weeks).

Hypothetically speaking, where I work now, a 17 y/o could complete EMT in H.S. go into a medic mill, start the recruit process, and complete it in a couple of months. Our academy starts you at close to 54 grand/yr, and it's 9 months for medics including a 16 week ALS ambulance field internship (PWC does this also). After graduation, your base including incentives is aroud 64 grand/yr.

So, a 19-20 y/o can be pulling in 64 grand base, and can make 80 or more working some OT.

GoingLoud

Forum Crew Member
i'd love to see the medic in my area that has a 64 grand base salary.

they pay you 12 an hour in saginaw.

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
Goodbye

WOW! I really like my job I like being an EMT and I will have my medic patch in like 2-3 months and I know I will like doing that job as well. I really don't understand this I know a lot of you are joking about this, but this post made me realize that I don't want to be a part of this site anymore. I really can't stand all the BS and the hate some of you people have for your profession and those who are part of your profession. I mean honestly if you people dislike it that much and dislike the other people doing the job, then QUIT!!! There is so freakin much negativity in this world and towards our profession that we need to stand together and support each other. Stop *****ing about EMTs and their lack of freakin education. where would most services be without them? And volunteers how many people in rural areas are alive right now JUST because there was a volunteer service there to help them out. I know most of you don't give a crap that I won't be back to this site like Ridryder, and ventmedic but just so you know I really don't like you or your opinions about EMTs and EMS in general. Just so yall know I'm no internet comando I say the same stuff to coworkers and class mates who pull this crap in front of me, I don't care if I hurt their feelings and I don't care if I hurt your feelings.
-handgrenade out!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
WOW! I really like my job I like being an EMT and I will have my medic patch in like 2-3 months and I know I will like doing that job as well. I really don't understand this I know a lot of you are joking about this, but this post made me realize that I don't want to be a part of this site anymore. I really can't stand all the BS and the hate some of you people have for your profession and those who are part of your profession. I mean honestly if you people dislike it that much and dislike the other people doing the job, then QUIT!!! There is so freakin much negativity in this world and towards our profession that we need to stand together and support each other. Stop *****ing about EMTs and their lack of freakin education. where would most services be without them? And volunteers how many people in rural areas are alive right now JUST because there was a volunteer service there to help them out. I know most of you don't give a crap that I won't be back to this site like Ridryder, and ventmedic but just so you know I really don't like you or your opinions about EMTs and EMS in general. Just so yall know I'm no internet comando I say the same stuff to coworkers and class mates who pull this crap in front of me, I don't care if I hurt their feelings and I don't care if I hurt your feelings.
-handgrenade out!

Have a nice life. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I have to admit Irish makes some valid statements. I have grown a lot as an EMT and I know many others who have as well! Why people on this forum put down EMT's is beyond me. So what if they dont have a degree or their initial training was only 130hrs. Does that mean they are incapable of self-learning and being taught by others in the field?

Most of the exam's I have aced in Paramedic school was because of the knowledge I obtained as an EMT! You guys have a misconception about EMT's. I am proud to be an EMT and all the years I have dedicated to learning and helping my community... like volunteering on Christmas Day because our career staff had off. Sorry to hear you guys are above sacrificing yourself for free to help your community.

While I do admit the initial EMT course is kinda lacking... but it is what it is and becomes what you make it. You don't always need formal education to be great at something, develop a great clinical intuition, and advance yourself.

Irish speaks the truth... too many people on this site who think they are all that and deserve to have their opinions, views, and posts taken with more weight than someone elses. Honestly, several of these people I don't even consider their post.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I think he can probably take a joke but over the past few months people have been very condescending over EMT's and volunteers. I think that's where he is coming from.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
-handgrenade out!

I would say ignorance was blessed but you have no experience but classroom. I welcome you back after you see the real world. It is not negativity rather an awakening to wanting to change things for the good. Take off the rose colored glasses or simply pull your head out and see things as they really are. The only way to change is to first recognize the need to change and explore how to do it properly.

I would give you six months but that maybe stretching it before either you will be written up or understand that your ideas was false. All you have is a textbook ideology to go on. You fail to understand one important part... you are still a student, your not a real provider yet.

It's not like we have not seen this before.. and again, I would love to see your ideas after 6 months of real trench experience.

R/r 911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have to admit Irish makes some valid statements. I have grown a lot as an EMT and I know many others who have as well! Why people on this forum put down EMT's is beyond me. So what if they dont have a degree or their initial training was only 130hrs. Does that mean they are incapable of self-learning and being taught by others in the field?

Most of the exam's I have aced in Paramedic school was because of the knowledge I obtained as an EMT! You guys have a misconception about EMT's. I am proud to be an EMT and all the years I have dedicated to learning and helping my community... like volunteering on Christmas Day because our career staff had off. Sorry to hear you guys are above sacrificing yourself for free to help your community.

While I do admit the initial EMT course is kinda lacking... but it is what it is and becomes what you make it. You don't always need formal education to be great at something, develop a great clinical intuition, and advance yourself.

Irish speaks the truth... too many people on this site who think they are all that and deserve to have their opinions, views, and posts taken with more weight than someone elses. Honestly, several of these people I don't even consider their post.

And what base do you have an opinion (as informed and educated?). Would you think that medical students opinions be valued over physicians that have practiced and have obtained the required education.

Truthfully, I fail to see where one could even believe they have anything really to offer if they have not completed the formal program and have at the least of five to ten years experience at a moderate activity service (alike other healthcare criteria).

Have you studied the results of lack of education, those that promote to downsize the education requirements, organizations that push to maintain BLS and even first-aid over ALS care or just what you have heard?

Really how condescending it is that one is even believe they have an informed opinion without proper research and education and experience? Again it should based upon credibility.

R/r 911

JustMarti

Forum Probie
Back to the original question: Why am I an EMT? Why am I STILL an EMT?

I became an EMT because our small rural community needed more EMTs, and I have the "see a problem, fix a problem" mentality. I love taking care of people... my favorite runs are the hand-holding ones. I took the class at the ripe old age of 40, along with my then 18 year old daughter.

I am STILL an EMT because my small rural community STILL needs more EMTs. We are basically a bedroom community, with very few people available to take day runs. I work rotating shifts (911 dispatcher) and therefore can take day calls 3 out of 4 weeks.

I am also STILL an EMT because I don't have my first CPR save (8 years on) and I haven't gotten my stork pin. :rolleyes:

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
And what base do you have an opinion (as informed and educated?). Would you think that medical students opinions be valued over physicians that have practiced and have obtained the required education.

Truthfully, I fail to see where one could even believe they have anything really to offer if they have not completed the formal program and have at the least of five to ten years experience at a moderate activity service (alike other healthcare criteria).

Have you studied the results of lack of education, those that promote to downsize the education requirements, organizations that push to maintain BLS and even first-aid over ALS care or just what you have heard?

Really how condescending it is that one is even believe they have an informed opinion without proper research and education and experience? Again it should based upon credibility.

R/r 911

That's exactly the condescending attitude Irish was referring too. Its great your an educator and all into meetings and on the up and up with the trends and details regarding EMS education. Good for you. Glad you have the time to dedicate to that. Let me guess, you prob get paid to attend and participate in these meetings???? I thought so. While I support increased education, at this point I don't feel my call is to take an active part in that area. My concentration is on being a field provider where my heart has always been. I have been a Chief EMS officer before but ne more... I have no real desire to serve in that capacity.

I may only be an EMT, but I have seen, learned, participated, and experienced a lot in 15 years of active EMS. So, yeah I do have a foundation to speak from.

I have 3 kids that I am dedicated too and it takes a lot just to go to school, study and do clinicals. Even with my personal demands I still make the effort and go above and beyond and take my endeavor to be a Paramedic VERY seriously. And there are many others out there just like me. Just because someone is still a student doesn't mean they don't have anything to offer or have credibility. How ignorant and arrogant is that? And you call yourself a promoter of education yet with your attitude and condescending tone all you do is discourage. I really hope your tone comes from the anonymity afforded by the Internet and your not really that much of an *** in reality... I would hate to be one of your students if that's how you really are.

So you hate the EMT level of care... just keep it to yourself and work in the background at your little meetings to make the changes you feel are important. Being critical on a personal level and trampling all over someone doesn't serve anybody. EMT's have a purpose and some are very smart. The foundation to be a great Paramedic comes from a strong EMT background which is why I am so glad I spent many years being a worthless, nothing to offer EMT.

Im sure there are many other's on here that feel the same but aren't quite as objective. Just save your ill comments about EMT's because nobody really wants to hear them. Try going to more meetings so you don't have any time left to post on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
-handgrenade out!

oh wait no come back dont leave noooooooo.

Is that what you were looking for????

I love dramatic exits.

Most of the exam's I have aced in Paramedic school was because of the knowledge I obtained as an EMT!

I aced all my Paramedic school tests because of stuff I learned in Paramedic school. Kinda how it's supposed to work.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I got into EMS to surround myself with 23 year old know-it-alls and arrogant, type-A personalities who think a snotty attitude makes up for their lack of education.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Why am I? To help people and play with sirens, of course...

I thought it would be a nice skillset to have, since I participate in a lot of sports where people get hurt, and never being able to do anything frustrated me. I figured I'd get the cert and maybe join ski patrol, at most. But I wound up actually really enjoying the actual work. So here I am working various jobs, with medschool back into serious consideration.

Why am I still? Because I can't rearrange my schedule to fit the training. I'm not complaining, since I'd like a bit more experience as a basic. If all goes as expected with school, I'll be in next year's class.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I aced all my Paramedic school tests because of stuff I learned in Paramedic school. Kinda how it's supposed to work.

My point was I didnt have to learn it in Paramedic school because I already learned it during my time as an EMT. Makes studying a whole lot easier.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
why are you an EMT?

coed sleepovers

[/end thread]

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
That's exactly the condescending attitude Irish was referring too. Its great your an educator and all into meetings and on the up and up with the trends and details regarding EMS education. Good for you. Glad you have the time to dedicate to that. Let me guess, you prob get paid to attend and participate in these meetings???? I thought so. While I support increased education, at this point I don't feel my call is to take an active part in that area. My concentration is on being a field provider where my heart has always been. I have been a Chief EMS officer before but ne more... I have no real desire to serve in that capacity.

I may only be an EMT, but I have seen, learned, participated, and experienced a lot in 15 years of active EMS. So, yeah I do have a foundation to speak from.

I have 3 kids that I am dedicated too and it takes a lot just to go to school, study and do clinicals. Even with my personal demands I still make the effort and go above and beyond and take my endeavor to be a Paramedic VERY seriously. And there are many others out there just like me. Just because someone is still a student doesn't mean they don't have anything to offer or have credibility. How ignorant and arrogant is that? And you call yourself a promoter of education yet with your attitude and condescending tone all you do is discourage. I really hope your tone comes from the anonymity afforded by the Internet and your not really that much of an *** in reality... I would hate to be one of your students if that's how you really are.

So you hate the EMT level of care... just keep it to yourself and work in the background at your little meetings to make the changes you feel are important. Being critical on a personal level and trampling all over someone doesn't serve anybody. EMT's have a purpose and some are very smart. The foundation to be a great Paramedic comes from a strong EMT background which is why I am so glad I spent many years being a worthless, nothing to offer EMT.

Im sure there are many other's on here that feel the same but aren't quite as objective. Just save your ill comments about EMT's because nobody really wants to hear them. Try going to more meetings so you don't have any time left to post on here.

I don't care if I come across condescending with an attitude or not. Seriously, it takes years of providing first-aid to be a good medic? Get real. Thank God no other medical profession requires such non-sense. If one is so limited in intelligence that it would take "years" of experience to grasp an understanding to master basic care, then really should we want that person to attempt to move upward? A 10’Th grade textbook and limited skills and one cannot master that, if they go through a respectable program.

Again, assumptions are alike the first three letters of the word. Read my posts before making non-rationale statements. I never said EMT's are worthless, rather should be re-classified as first responder role and not within the EMS role. The "training" is not enforced enough to meet today’s standards as a health care provider.

Unfortunately, alike many other EMT's they love to gripe and whine but do nothing as that would take assertiveness. So yes, I go and attend meetings and make proposals and research... (hint) that is the way progress is made. Oh, I still respond on emergency calls, probably more in one week than many that acclaim to be hero's that post here in a year or if ever.

You’re a student ... that's it. Just like a student nurse or CNA attempting to inform a RN about the role of nursing... yeah. You are supposed to be learning and really what educated and factual opinion do you have to offer? In the real world of professionals, most would not even be allowed to speak or definitely be considered valid. As most medical students are informed and told while in medical school, you don't the information yet as to make an informed one or the privilege to fully understand.

p.s. No, I don't get paid to attend to go to meetings as it is presumed in the real world of a professional that it is an obligation to be active. Remember, I purposely took a cut in salary to return to EMS to better it. Realistically, what I and others can get accomplished will not directly affect us but those such as you entering the profession, as it will take 10-20 years to implement. So why do it? Again, it is just part of being a professional. In regards to as having Chief experience: what type of service would place the lowest level in charge of a program?

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
I don't care if I come across condescending with an attitude or not. Seriously, it takes years of providing first-aid to be a good medic? Get real. Thank God no other medical profession requires such non-sense. If one is so limited in intelligence that it would take "years" of experience to grasp an understanding to master basic care, then really should we want that person to attempt to move upward? A 10’Th grade textbook and limited skills and one cannot master that, if they go through a respectable program.

Again, assumptions are alike the first three letters of the word. Read my posts before making non-rationale statements. I never said EMT's are worthless, rather should be re-classified as first responder role and not within the EMS role. The "training" is not enforced enough to meet today’s standards as a health care provider.

Unfortunately, alike many other EMT's they love to gripe and whine but do nothing as that would take assertiveness. So yes, I go and attend meetings and make proposals and research... (hint) that is the way progress is made. Oh, I still respond on emergency calls, probably more in one week than many that acclaim to be hero's that post here in a year or if ever.

You’re a student ... that's it. Just like a student nurse or CNA attempting to inform a RN about the role of nursing... yeah. You are supposed to be learning and really what educated and factual opinion do you have to offer? In the real world of professionals, most would not even be allowed to speak or definitely be considered valid. As most medical students are informed and told while in medical school, you don't the information yet as to make an informed one or the privilege to fully understand.

p.s. No, I don't get paid to attend to go to meetings as it is presumed in the real world of a professional that it is an obligation to be active. Remember, I purposely took a cut in salary to return to EMS to better it. Realistically, what I and others can get accomplished will not directly affect us but those such as you entering the profession, as it will take 10-20 years to implement. So why do it? Again, it is just part of being a professional. In regards to as having Chief experience: what type of service would place the lowest level in charge of a program?

R/r 911

:beerchug:

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
A question to all in this thread............

How many times would it take for you to stick a penny in the light socket for you to realize it hurt and was a rather dumb thing to do? I would hope just one, maybe two for the slower types.

In all seriousness though, have you noticed a trend? Have you noticed that every single thread that calls an EMT out on the substandard level of true medical education results in three things...............

1. Someone getting their knickers in a wad or their feelings hurt. (seriously folks, its an internet forum, is it really worth taking personally?)

2. The CL's having to intervene like they are dealing with 3 year olds.

3. The majority of rational, mature people from our dysfunctional online family trying to use sound logic and reasoning to justify the views of some really great medical professionals to people who seem to block the very concept of basic rationalization.

Folks, it is what it is. The EMT level in the U.S. is a 120 hour first aid course written to a Junior H.S. level. That aspect of the education is factual and there is no personal opinions that will change it. The utilization of this level is dependent on many factors, but the one factor that will allow for the maximum utilization is professional growth and development. That is very difficult to do at the basic level. Most people see and recognize it, the ones who don't are usually the ones with their egos on their sleeves and the ones in it for the wrong reasons.

Not one of you has a rational argument for why veterans like myself, Rid, Vent, and others are "maliciously bashing the poor 'ol EMT-B's". This dead horse has been beaten well beyond the afterlife. If you don't like what you hear, thats fine, but lets stop with the pity party drama please. High School is over with (at least for most of us), if you want to be seen as a professional, start acting like one.

Be safe!