Why are you a emt?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Not one of you has a rational argument for why veterans like myself, Rid, Vent, and others are "maliciously bashing the poor 'ol EMT-B's".

Except one:

Broad generalizations.

I say it in every single thread that turns in to this: Don't lump all Basics together. That's all I ever ask, and that's all you guys ever fail to follow.

A person who's gone through medic class, got 110%, did 2000 hours of clinical's and 3000 hours of internship, taken and aced the final, and passed the National Registry in 37 questions but hasn't got the cert yet, is still "just a basic", and to lump them with someone who's tried 3 times to get through Basic is laughable.

Don't diss my title or my hard work just because there are bad apples that share the same title. That's like saying physicians are all evil, because of what Kevorkian did.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
A person who's gone through medic class, got 110%, did 2000 hours of clinical's and 3000 hours of internship, taken and aced the final, and passed the National Registry in 37 questions but hasn't got the cert yet, is still "just a basic", and to lump them with someone who's tried 3 times to get through Basic is laughable.

Don't diss my title or my hard work just because there are bad apples that share the same title. That's like saying physicians are all evil, because of what Kevorkian did.
I'm going to go ahead and call major BS on that one. I'll even say outright that there is no paramedic program in this country that requires 5000 hours of clinical and internship time. If you are making the case to seperate yourself from lousy EMT's, you might want to make a factual, accurate case.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'm going to go ahead and call major BS on that one. I'll even say outright that there is no paramedic program in this country that requires 5000 hours of clinical and internship time. If you are making the case to seperate yourself from lousy EMT's, you might want to make a factual, accurate case.

You've obviously read too deep in my exaggerated fictitious scenario that is there to make a point.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
You've obviously read too deep in my exaggerated fictitious scenario that is there to make a point.
No, I saw your point. But you kind of blew it with your example. All it makes me think of is a EMT whining about how they save paramedics and drive and save lives and nobody would be able to work without them etc etc etc.

If you are going to do that kind of thing, use a real example, not some BS that sounds much better than it really is. If you are that much better, then you shouldn't need to think very hard to come up with one, and definetly shouldn't have to pull that.

Edit: Here's what you could have said and made the same point: A person who's gone through medic class, passed at the top of the class, taken and aced the final, and passed the National Registry in 37 questions but hasn't got the cert yet, is still "just a basic", and to lump them with someone who's tried 3 times to get through Basic is laughable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Edit: Here's what you could have said and made the same point: A person who's gone through medic class, passed at the top of the class, taken and aced the final, and passed the National Registry in 37 questions but hasn't got the cert yet, is still "just a basic", and to lump them with someone who's tried 3 times to get through Basic is laughable.

Same exact idea, just without the numbers. If you get the point, then why are you arguing it? It did the job it was intended to... far reaching or not.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Same exact idea, just without the numbers. If you get the point, then why are you arguing it? It did the job it was intended to... far reaching or not.
It really didn't do the job you wanted...by tossing in that BS comment about hours all you did was invalidate your point by sounding like <drumroll> another whiney EMT complaining about the lack of respect they get for doing all that high speed lifesaving.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
It really didn't do the job you wanted...by tossing in that BS comment about hours all you did was invalidate your point by sounding like <drumroll> another whiney EMT complaining about the lack of respect they get for doing all that high speed lifesaving.

I disagree. I think he got his point across very well.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
To each his own. I read that and see someone who doesn't have a clue what actually goes into a paramedic class, and, by proxy, what is involved in being a paramedic, as well as what EMS as a whole consists of. Kind of like an EMT who whines about how much they do and how important they are when in reality, they don't have a clue about how medicine and EMS works.

Sasha

Forum Chief

I disagree. All he did was make it laughable and did nothing to further his cause. As it stands, he is not a medic waiting on a patch, either, so I'm a bit confused as to why he used that example.

I don't see the negativity to ALL EMTs, but the EMTs who just want to be EMTs, and don't want to be medical professionals and further their education for the benefit of their patient.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't see the negativity to ALL EMTs, but the EMTs who just want to be EMTs, and don't want to be medical professionals and further their education for the benefit of their patient.

Which was the point. Don't generalize about all EMTs, just because they're EMTs.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Which was the point. Don't generalize about all EMTs, just because they're EMTs.

I don't see anyone automatically being negative to emts because they are emts.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Because some EMTs choose to go with the 2 week schools that do nothing but teach you to pass the registry, it seems that it's assumed all EMTs took that route.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Because some EMTs choose to go with the 2 week schools that do nothing but teach you to pass the registry, it seems that it's assumed all EMTs took that route.

They are like the military. Guilty until proven innocent.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I disagree. All he did was make it laughable and did nothing to further his cause. As it stands, he is not a medic waiting on a patch, either, so I'm a bit confused as to why he used that example.

Which is funny, considering I never said it was ME, did I? So, you view it wrong, but I'm the confusing one?

My only cause was to say don't bunch all Basics in the same group. If I need to argue with you, triemal, or anyone for that matter, to get that point across, you already lost the battle. It's sad that you guys are actually fighting this.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
:lol:
Which is funny, considering I never said it was ME, did I? So, you view it wrong, but I'm the confusing one?

My only cause was to say don't bunch all Basics in the same group. If I need to argue with you, triemal, or anyone for that matter, to get that point across, you already lost the battle. It's sad that you guys are actually fighting this.
Not really when you consider that all your comment did was make YOU and EMT's in general look even more silly (I'd use a better word but doubt it'd last for some reason) than before. Nice way to further your cause I guess; just means that you won't be one that get's judged on an individual basis but lumped in with all the rest. Nice one!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So is it fair to say ALL paramedics are idiots because a few of them went to medic mills?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
So is it fair to say ALL paramedics are idiots because a few of them went to medic mills?
You still aren't getting it, are you? Is it fair the say that everyone should be judged off the actions of some? Not really (though that is what happens all over the place). But all your comments did was to help perpetuate the belief that EMT's are a bunch of fools; instead of using a nice, rational, and most of all ACCURATE arguement that there are exceptions, you made that idiotic claim. All that does is show that there is another EMT out there who doesn't have a clue. Which makes one more EMT that people can refer to when they say, "EMT's don't know anything and are deterimental." Not exactly helping your cause.

Clear yet?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No, buddy, YOU are the one not getting it.

Lumping ALL people together, also known as generalizing, is stupid.

How are you arguing that fact?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
No, buddy, YOU are the one not getting it.

Lumping ALL people together, also known as generalizing, is stupid.

How are you arguing that fact?
Linuss...stop before you make yourself look worse. You gave an example of why you shouldn't judge an entire group based off the actions of some. I don't neccasarily disagree. But, as I said multiple posts back, the example you used was piss poor. All you did was give another reason for people to consider EMT's a poorly trained and educated group. Your example, instead of proving your point, just helped to show that EMT's are...well...not the brightest.

Once again: if you want to show that all people should not be judged by the actions of some, then use real, honest, factual, and above all, accurate examples. If you don't...you make a worthless point and will be proving something that you don't want to.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you don't like the example, deal with it. Exaggerations are meant to be just that: Exaggerated. You blew this out of proportion, AND made it personal, and that went beyond the line.

The fact that you need a story to be relatively true to even get a point proven to you is beyond me.