Why are you a emt?

Sasha

Forum Chief
In case no one has recognized it yet, when I type my fingers get ahead of my brain and I end up all finger twisted... and EMTLIFE has no spell check... LOL... at least I'm cute, though... heh....

Isn't there a forum rule against lying? :p

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Isn't there a forum rule against lying? :p

LOL, ya... but you know that you stare at my Forum Pics when you are feeling blue and lonely... LOL... despite your "no facial hair" rules.

emtdee

Forum Ride Along
I started out at the age of 30 because I wanted to help out my community. I got hooked and now at the age of 41 I am an EMS Instructor and hoping to be accepted into the pararmedic Program in January. My husband thinks I am a little nuts for wanting to do more EMS at my age, but something about it makes me love it.

My kids all grew up with it and now all 3 are involved too.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
My kids all grew up with it and now all 3 are involved too.

So, "crazy" is genetic? Cool... LOL... :unsure: j/k... welcome aboard

You own little Emergency Family... sure beats a family that thinks that a nice office job as an insurance adjuster is a "smart career"...

Last edited by a moderator:

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
.... because a long time before I was old enough to even enroll... like around 10 or 11, I was always intrigued with the emergency services and the idea of helping ppl in a fast paced environment. So at 16 I took and passed my EMT.

A lot of people knock EMT's as being uneducated and nothing more than an ambulance driver... which quite a few are... but I still resent that notion. I for one (as do many EMT's) put ALOT of time and effort into learning and expanding their knowledge. An active and dedicated EMT, has much more knowledge than what was packed into 130hrs.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
One reason only

Free Ski Pass...

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
.... because a long time before I was old enough to even enroll... like around 10 or 11, I was always intrigued with the emergency services and the idea of helping ppl in a fast paced environment. So at 16 I took and passed my EMT.

A lot of people knock EMT's as being uneducated and nothing more than an ambulance driver... which quite a few are... but I still resent that notion. I for one (as do many EMT's) put ALOT of time and effort into learning and expanding their knowledge. An active and dedicated EMT, has much more knowledge than what was packed into 130hrs.

I keep hearing the low course numbers? Really? Are most EMT courses only 130 hours total? Don't know why but, this really surprises me in that ours is 260+. I know MI doesn't use the NR curriculum in whole for this reason but, 130??

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I keep hearing the low course numbers? Really? Are most EMT courses only 130 hours total? Don't know why but, this really surprises me in that ours is 260+. I know MI doesn't use the NR curriculum in whole for this reason but, 130??

Last time I checked: In CA, 120 minimum. My course was ~210, plus the other classes that real EMTs would take (Basic Cardiology, A&P, Pre-Paramedic for an additional 200+ hours), which everyone seemed to take before the program director retired and the program went to crap.

But I agree with ResTech... don't judge me because of what I am (an EMT)... but who am I am (a great EMT who believes in education, and wishes to god life would make it easier for me to move up).

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
...."the NR curriculum in whole for this reason but, 130??".....

Let's clarify the NREMT has NO curriculum. It is based upon NHTSA Curriculum and the lowest number of hours accepted for NHTSA is 110 hours usually 120 - 150 hours.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
me...

well i was the kid that always played with the ambulance hotwheels car in preschool... then i remembered our local ambulance company came out an gave a presentation.... and I loved the L/S on it (note i was in preschool then too).

I never really thought about it till i took my class for my basic.... I had always been surrounded by pharmacy... but my interest in it deteriorated and I loved the adrenaline associated with EMS.

It took me 20 years to come full circle.... but I couldnt be happier I did!

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Last time I checked: In CA, 120 minimum. My course was ~210, plus the other classes that real EMTs would take (Basic Cardiology, A&P, Pre-Paramedic for an additional 200+ hours), which everyone seemed to take before the program director retired and the program went to crap.

But I agree with ResTech... don't judge me because of what I am (an EMT)... but who am I am (a great EMT who believes in education, and wishes to god life would make it easier for me to move up).

I wasn't implying anything or passing judgment. I apologize if I've given that impression.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I wasn't implying anything or passing judgment. I apologize if I've given that impression.

Agent 99... shame... you should know that I love you and take no offense to anything... I was just answering your question based on my experience and my opinion... ;)

Tiberius

Forum Crew Member
I got into this profession after hearing 'war stories' from friends in EMS because I wanted to make a difference. Pay could be better but this job does provide rewards that money can buy.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Why am I just an EMT? I'm a full-time college student with bigger career plans. If everything falls apart, I'll go back to school and become a real prehospital care provider.
Why did I end up in EMS in the first place? Meh, I like medicine, I don't like direct supervision, it's not soul-numbingly routine, and the pay isn't terrible.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
My real answer now? All sarcasm aside I wanted to go to Med School and had heard EMT work was a good way to get the hospital exposure needed for your EC's. Once I got into it I found that I really loved working pre-hospital. I've always aspired to become a paramedic eventually and it's interested to see (on other forums) how much my opinion of the profession has evolved since I first started.

My short term goals are to become the best paramedic I can be, continue my education through college supplements, I'd like to look into the critical care level or go through nursing school. Long term goals, I'd like to become a pre-hospital educator.

Edit: I had decided to go to med school after spending 2 years in college under a telecommunications program (network admins etc). So along with my alphabet soup of EMS certs I also have my IT certs that are expiring soon. CCNA, Net +, Security +, A+ (hahahahaha A+ what a joke you are), and a handful of minor accomplishments in IT. I also have a couple tests done for the MCSE but I haven't been in the business lately and as I understand it the MCSE has gone the wayside.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I got into EMS to get rich.

:p:p:lol::lol::deadhorse:

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
i needed 6 units of diversity requirement. emt class was 7. so here i am :rolleyes: