Why are you a emt?

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Than again, it could be worse... I could be replying to a thread entitled "How much weed did you need to smoke in order for the concept of Firefighting to sound like a smart idea?" j/k :p I LOVE ALL FIREFIGHTERS!!! Figratively... not literally...

I think you meant "How much weed did you need to smoke in order for the concept of fire-based EMS to sound like a smart idea?" Firefighting on its own is a much needed service.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Because there was a waiting list for nursing school

Sasha

Forum Chief

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
TYPO ALERT!!!

The correct question was meant to be "Why are you STILL and EMT?"

Answer: My life sucks just enough (more than enough actually) to where any plans I have ever had have blown up in my face... Heck, it is a mircle that life "allowed" me to become an EMT... Medic or MICN? pffff... at this rate and with my life, that will be the day...

Moral of the story: Life Sucks Than You Die...

Than again, it could be worse... I could be replying to a thread entitled "How much weed did you need to smoke in order for the concept of Firefighting to sound like a smart idea?" j/k :p I LOVE ALL FIREFIGHTERS!!! Figratively... not literally...

Typo alert on the typo alert... "Why are you STILL AN EMT?"

:)

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Honestly, I'm an ADHD type so my desire to get a job that wasn't mundane led me to an EMT class while in college. Plus I wanted to be a Firefighter or Law Enforcement and figured it would look good on a resume. After taking the class I actually found a job working an ambulance in Massachusetts and found I was actually good at dealing with stress and people, which led to leaving EMS and becoming an LPN, same stress, same people, better money. That was about 11 years ago since then I have joined the Military, got my law enforcement job and hated what I saw and saw myself becoming, and have now come back full circle to being an EMT. Like I said ADHD type here. Took an EMT class through my fire department after a few years because I was doing a lot of "assisting" on calls and though I feel 40+ hours a week of health care is enough I also felt it was the right thing to do. Will be taking the New York EMT-CC course starting in Sept. , guess I caught the bug again.

falcon-18

Forum Crew Member
Simply. Because I love this job .You will become good man when you help everybody . you are work with the difficult job in world. I want smile on every face. :):):):):):)

:) HELPING IS MY JOB :)

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
Sasha got it right!

I like helping people. It helps keep me balanced. It's fun. I enjoy being on the streets the days I work and not stuffed in some office. I like meeting new people. I like new experiences. I like learning. This job saved my life.

It goes on.

I love being an EMT, and I can't wait to move forward in this career.

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
No, they taught me how to clean the truck and waste time at the station too. You know, a COMPLETE and REAL education, we didn't bother with no book stuff.
hey cut the sarcasm. that wasn't even funny one bit. this class isn't all fun and games. i am up every night until AT LEAST 1:30 AM looking over materials, doing worksheets, and taking notes. why r u such a smart alleck?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Sasha

Forum Chief
One of the (few) things they're good for ;P *sarcasm!*

They are good for lifting your patients, too. Just look helpless in the ambulance bay and one will wander over and put them in the truck for you.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
To feel like I was really "doing something", doing some good. Job satisfaction. I have two cousins that were FDNY medics. They gave me the straight story about how the job was. They also helped get me hired at a well paying hospital, so that made it financially sustainable. No eating it for $10/hr for a few years. I ain't no sucka. ;)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
They are good for lifting your patients, too. Just look helpless in the ambulance bay and one will wander over and put them in the truck for you.

I can't get the looking helpless thing down enough I guess... Even when I was a no nothign intern

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
hey cut the sarcasm. that wasn't even funny one bit. this class isn't all fun and games. i am up every night until AT LEAST 1:30 AM looking over materials, doing worksheets, and taking notes. why r u such a smart alleck?

I don't even stay up that late for my Paramedic class (mostly). :glare:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

No one said she was talking about you. You decided she was and now everyone thinks that she was...

Sasha

Forum Chief
I can't get the looking helpless thing down enough I guess... Even when I was a no nothign intern

Try looking a little more feminine, works like a charm. I haven't lifted a heavy heavy patient in a long time. In or out. Either my partner is some guy who is on some testosterone rush and wants to do it himself or a fire fighter will wander over and do it.

It really sucks. The power stretcher weigh 150 pounds, put even an average person on that and it gets heavy. They really need to be self loading :p

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Typo alert on the typo alert... "Why are you STILL AN EMT?"

:)

In case no one has recognized it yet, when I type my fingers get ahead of my brain and I end up all finger twisted... and EMTLIFE has no spell check... LOL... at least I'm cute, though... heh....

Me too, who else would carry my equipment?

R/r 911 ;)

They are also good for lifting that 400 pounder that needs to see the Doctor to get his BP checked... oh, and in the SAR gig, while I hate FF interference, I did find a use for them 3 months ago... hiking in several miles for some kids, one was reported to be sevrly hypothermic and would need to be carried out... so since it was just one SAR guy on scene (ME) and 4 FFs (initial resources on scene - more enroute)... who do you think took charge, and who do you think was forced to carry the stokes with all the med gear on it? he he he... Hey, it's what they were built for...

Try looking a little more feminine, works like a charm. :p

I tried that but it didn't work for me... I went as far as to wear high heals and a form fiting number with the slit too high and the cut too low... oddly enough all I got was a number of odd looks and a few people vomiting; Maybe it was the chest hair peeking out and my inability to stay verticle for too long, but I just chaulked up the weird looks and vomiting to Swine Flu... LOL

Last edited by a moderator: