Why are you a emt?

tracyloo32

Forum Ride Along
I thought id start a new thread for all emts.

just wondering what made you decide to be an emt? how old were you when you got certified, what certification do you have? Professional or Volunteer?

my mom has been and emt for 24 years and always being around the department made me want to join and become a emt. i was 16. I am a certified EMT-B. 100%Volunteer.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I wanted to drive real fast and sleep on the clock.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I wanted to drive real fast and sleep on the clock.

I'm more of a I wanna put lights and sirens in my POV :p

My real reason is because it interests me and I like to help people when I can. Sure as heck isn't for the money :p

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I want to see how many medical instruments I can fit onto a belt. I also wanted an excuse to buy an iron lung to tow behind my truck when I respond to calls with my VFD on the side.

Ok, seriously now.

My dad's been an EMT for as long as I can remember. I'm an idealist in that I say that I want to help people. That's honestly the biggest part of it but I'm also just interested in medicine. I want to learn as much as I can, grow as much as I can and go as far as I can. Next fall I'm doing Paramedic (after I take a couple of other prep classes - A&P and the like) and then who knows. I really do like interacting with people and helping them as best as I can.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I wonder how many times this question has been posted here?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It was as easy job to get right out of high school that didn't require an education and came with a cool uniform.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I want to have an alphabet soup at the end of my name. I figured this was a good place to start. When it's all said and done I want my business card to have my name listed as something like this:
HotelCo DO, MD, DC, DDS, DMD, PharmD, DVM, DSW, PsyD CCRN, RN, BSN, BS, BA, AA, CCEMT-P, EMT-P, EMT-I, EMT-B.
(Might take an MFR course just so I could throw that on at the end)

But seriously..

I talked to some Corpsman and liked what they did but, I didn't feel like joining the Navy. So, I decided to go into EMS.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Because my wife thinks my jumpsuit is sexy!

Seriously though.. a looooooooong time ago when i was 20 years old i was staying at my future wifes house when i was woke up to her mothers screaming and found her 47 year old husband dead and didnt have a clue what to do to help him. It was a helpless feeling i NEVER wanted to feel again. So i joined a fire department and progressed from there as a FR, EMT, ERTech and after finishing all my RN pre-requisites i became a Paramedic, to assure that if something like that ever happened again, even if my efforts are futile i WILL know what to do.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I wanted to be a hero.

Edit: Should I put a sarcasm tag on here? Just got a considerably lengthy instant message on how if I want to be a hero to 'get the f... out of ems and go join a FD'.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
I wanted a star of life tat on my left butt cheek.:rolleyes:

Sasha

Forum Chief
It was as easy job to get right out of high school that didn't require an education and came with a cool uniform.

What are you talking about, no education? I had to take a month long class!

medic417

The Truth Provider
What are you talking about, no education? I had to take a month long class!

Wow you took advanced EMT mine was only 10 days.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Sasha

Forum Chief
Wow you took advanced EMT mine was only 10 days.

No, they taught me how to clean the truck and waste time at the station too. You know, a COMPLETE and REAL education, we didn't bother with no book stuff.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
TYPO ALERT!!!

The correct question was meant to be "Why are you STILL and EMT?"

Answer: My life sucks just enough (more than enough actually) to where any plans I have ever had have blown up in my face... Heck, it is a mircle that life "allowed" me to become an EMT... Medic or MICN? pffff... at this rate and with my life, that will be the day...

Moral of the story: Life Sucks Than You Die...

Than again, it could be worse... I could be replying to a thread entitled "How much weed did you need to smoke in order for the concept of Firefighting to sound like a smart idea?" j/k :p I LOVE ALL FIREFIGHTERS!!! Figratively... not literally...