Where did society go wrong?

I say we first went wrong when we came down from the trees but it may well have been when we first crawled out of the ocean.

I say we first went wrong when we came down from the trees but it may well have been when we first crawled out of the ocean.

And to finish this one off.

Then by continuing to extend the existance of weaker genes with medicine and welfare.

I can understand where it would be a hassle to get EMS out there in some instances, but in my case, he was not going to walk... anywhere. Most of the time I would have no problem letting friends walk him home or something, but this case was different. He was out cold and vomiting and it just didnt feel right.

Maine iac: No im not in the medic program, but will be in an EMT class this summer. This happened at Mesa Pizza at about 1 am.

Falbos? Mesa? thats not pizza. Its all about Pagliai's! Followed by Gumbys (love me some pokey sticks) and the wedge used to be decent as well. If you venture away from downtown Bob's your Uncle is pretty good for the money. Man I miss Iowa City

I will say one thing. I have been out with friends when they've been in that state and I honestly would have been less than happy if someone called 911 for them. Especially if we were on our way home.

ETOH + Vomit =/= Hospital as long as there is someone responsible around. Sure there are times it does but more times than not it's a waste of resources and money.
I have two things to say on this topic.

The first is that I, like some on here, have in my youth, been extremely intoxicated. I can recall a night of drinking where I had 4 shots of vodka. I say I recall that night, because after that 4th shot, I ended up matching every one in our group shot for shot (since drinking alone was never allowed). with a group of 10 people, I don't even want to assume how much alcohol I consumed that night. I think I ended up on the couch that night, or the floor, because I wasn't making it to my bad, despite it only being 15 feet away from where were were drinking. an 11 years later, I'm still alive and kicking. So just because a few drinks are taken, maybe more than a few, there is a good chance the person will not die.

Secondly, in most cases, once a ETOH person vomit's they end up much better, since all the alcohol is out of their stomach and doesn't get absorbed by their body. they are still drunk, but will be much better in the morning. if they are not awake or conscious, but vomiting, that's a bigger problem, due to the potential for airway complications.

Thirdly (I lied, I had a third thing), people are more worried about getting in trouble than helping their fellow person. It's truly sad, but now (esp in college towns) the desire to punish the offenders has taken a forefront to the health and welfare of the overdosing person.

I still can't remember two days of my life because of alcohol.

Sent from my Android Tablet using Tapatalk

The joys of stumbling into a pool after you graduated EMT school..

I still can't remember two days of my life because of alcohol.

2 days? That's it? Hell I'm missing entire semesters.

2 days? That's it? Hell I'm missing entire semesters.

You must remember that in the navy, we spent six months at a time on a ship with no alcohol. During that 6 months, we would get approximately 2 weeks of shore leave in various ports. We would stop for 3 days at a time, but we had to work a 24 hour shift every 3rd day.

To clear up a common misconception, sailors don't drink more than the average person. We drank the same amount in a MUCH shorter time frame.

The joys of stumbling into a pool after you graduated EMT school..

Incidentally, my "EMT graduation party" was one of the best parties I've been to in college.

Someone here mentioned amnesty policies and the police, we have a similar problem at school with some officers--if an ambulance comes a ticket is issued.

Taking care of someone that has had too much to drink is part of college for many people. Would the person in question be "safer" in an ER? Absolutely, but I might be a little peeved with I found out someone had anonymously called 911 for me when I know that my friends have the judgement needed to decide when to take someone to the hospital and when to sit in the bathroom with them all night. Talk to my friends first, if they aren't giving the right answers then there is a problem.

Incidentally, my "EMT graduation party" was one of the best parties I've been to in college.

The graduation for some of the medic students is much worse haha. All of those parties normally end with "and then we started IVs so we didnt have hangovers" haha

1st year med school banquet included an open bar.

The graduation for some of the medic students is much worse haha. All of those parties normally end with "and then we started IVs so we didnt have hangovers" haha

Hah that's true I'm sure. My memories of our party are a bit how you wanna say "hazy" but I know that NPAs were inserted. Not quite at IV level though I will be hunting for supplies with my new cert!

Parsing...

Statistics show that alcohol is involved in many, many deaths of people under 25, and when the drinking age was dropped 18, they spiked (pun unintended). Studies show that the drinking pattern of many college students is in the binge/for extreme inebriation categories.

The rare bacchanal with some sort of controls or buddy system seems to be inescapable, but drinking and then bragging about how wasted you were is not responsible nor is it mature.

It is inarguable. External control is necessary when the actions of some (due in part to inebriation) affect the society, there have to be controls imposed and consequences meted out.

I blame Ferris Beuhler

Beuhler, Beuhler

Does JCAS still where pants with the reflective stripe on the side?

When society feels that men can be forced to get shot in some random country but can't legally buy a beer in their own...underage consumption is directly related to the stigma that society had placed on alcohol, which is in stark contrast to this countries alcoholic history

When society feels that men can be forced to get shot in some random country
Wait, an active draft is back? I was under the impression that we have an all volunteer military.

but can't legally buy a beer in their own...underage consumption is directly related to the stigma that society had placed on alcohol, which is in stark contrast to this countries alcoholic history

...but agree with this.

Actuarial and law enforcement statistics show when consumption of alcohol is lowered to 18, fatalities increase. That includes mostly driving accidents, including passengers, bystanders and other drivers.
We aren't even talking about boating, swimming, firearm, farm or other industrial mishaps.

When I was active duty AF, we had alcohol of any sort legal for any enlisted or commissioned person. We had alcohol related deaths on base, even in the dorms, as well as injuries from fights, accidents related to alcohol. I was there, I saw it, I treated them.

Alcohol is barred at Kandahar AF and it is one of the most civil and sane places I've ever been with active duty folks all about.

Always good times in Iowa City. I feel bad for my instructors who ride JCAS and have to deal with all those poor drunk students;)

Back