Where did society go wrong?

Where did society go wrong?

Allowing people to procreate without a mental examination, IQ test, and proving that more than likely they wouldn't be a burden.

But keeping people from having kids is "wrong" apparently.

Wait, an active draft is back? I was under the impression that we have an all volunteer military.

...but agree with this.

an active draft is not currently in effect, but the system exists for its implementation, but only if your male of course, because we are all equals right?

I think. . .

Emts have built in radar for "what could happen" while the rest of society doesnt seem to be able to make that call. Its called a lack of common sense I figure.

Actuarial and law enforcement statistics show when consumption of alcohol is lowered to 18, fatalities increase. That includes mostly driving accidents, including passengers, bystanders and other drivers.
We aren't even talking about boating, swimming, firearm, farm or other industrial mishaps.

And we have none of that with over 21 crowd? Why havent we seen this same problem with other nations? Quebec allows 18yo to drink most of europe...

an active draft is not currently in effect, but the system exists for its implementation, but only if your male of course, because we are all equals right?

Except short of WW3, I highly doubt the selective service is going to start conscripting people. As such, no one is being forced to be shot at, they volunteered for it.

And we have none of that with over 21 crowd? Why havent we seen this same problem with other nations? Quebec allows 18yo to drink most of europe...

He didn't say we have none of it. He said it INCREASES. I bet if Quebec raised their legal limit 21, the inverse would be true: they would see a decrease :ph34r:

He didn't say we have none of it. He said it INCREASES. I bet if Quebec raised their legal limit 21, the inverse would be true: they would see a decrease :ph34r:

Maybe we have such a high morbidity rate amongst 18-21 because the drink in secret. In unsupervised places (woods, abandoned buildings, Frats) other kids are more worried about getting in trouble then getting help for someone, and are not monitoring other peoples alcohol intake. If it was legal to drink, and people did so in supervised places, (Bars, Clubs, parties) where it was socially acceptable, then this "problem" might not exist, because there are people (Bartenders, Bouncers, Everyone) who monitor alcohol intake and are not worried about possible repercussions of they attempt to assist by calling 911 or some similar aid.

Maybe we have such a high morbidity rate amongst 18-21 because the drink in secret. In unsupervised places (woods, abandoned buildings, Frats) other kids are more worried about getting in trouble then getting help for someone, and are not monitoring other peoples alcohol intake. If it was legal to drink, and people did so in supervised places, (Bars, Clubs, parties) where it was socially acceptable, then this "problem" might not exist, because there are people (Bartenders, Bouncers, Everyone) who monitor alcohol intake and are not worried about possible repercussions of they attempt to assist by calling 911 or some similar aid.

Or because they're too immature. (yeah yeah, not all, but a higher percentage of immaturity at this age than as a person gets older)

To re-quote what you already quoted:

Actuarial and law enforcement statistics show when consumption of alcohol is lowered to 18, fatalities increase. That includes mostly driving accidents, including passengers, bystanders and other drivers.
This implies that they are pulling statistics from areas/times where the legal limit IS 18, where 18 year olds could go to bars and drink legally, but there are still higher fatality rates. So no, you're post is not holding up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

So you take an alternative path an make laws regulating how much alcohol in a person's system to drive, prohibit public intoxication to make sure they can't walk, and raise the age.

If people weren't constantly driving down the wrong direction of highways causing major MVCs with multiple fatalities, all because they were too hammered to tell the difference, then they might not have had to find ways around prohibition repeal.

If people weren't constantly driving down the wrong direction of highways causing major MVCs with multiple fatalities, all because they were too hammered to tell the difference, then they might not have had to find ways around prohibition repeal.

Agreed.

But why take away the ability to walk or pass out in the park?

An eyesore for sure, but better than having them risk getting behind the wheel instead.

Agreed.

But why take away the ability to walk or pass out in the park?

An eyesore for sure, but better than having them risk getting behind the wheel instead.

I guess that I can agree with. MV-Peds? Meh. If you want to get :censored::censored::censored::censored:faced and *** up in the park, who am I to judge.

MV-Peds? Meh.

I'll take a drunk wandering out in traffic and killing himself anyday over a drunk driving in a car and killing somebody else, be they ped or other vehicle operator.

They also do less property damage that way too.

Like I said, The Ferris Beuller Syndrome.
1." People who know more than you, albeit not more clever, or maybe restricted by laws and rules, are wrong.
2. So do whatever comes into your mind...
2a. (because we can vicariously live our fantasies through you)...
3.and all you know about real life is from reality TV, online advertising and chat groups, and vampire movies...
so there! Neener!".

ferrisbueller1.jpg

This implies that they are pulling statistics from areas/times where the legal limit IS 18, where 18 year olds could go to bars and drink legally, but there are still higher fatality rates. So no, you're post is not holding up.

Id be really interested to see those studies that show increased fatalities in places in the United States were the legal drinking age is 18

in places in the United States were the legal drinking age is 18

*sigh*

Well Mycrofft was the one that mentioned them, he may have access to them. I'm currently on my phone, so I'm not going to search for them for you. But I believe I'm right in thinking you have Internet access, so you're just as able to search for them as I am :)

Last edited by a moderator:
One side effect of that era; they did many postmortems on younger people and were finding coronary plaque at younger ages than they had ever expected before.

Which lead to the research and finding of fatty streaks in preterm infant autopsies.

Back