What is your most ridiculous call?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
i do LOL jk

come on! we take our jobs seriously thank you very much! :D

I think it was a serious question. You honestly don't let your patients sleep during transports? Particularly on most IFTs, and for many 911 calls, you really shouldn't need to bombard the patient with questions the entire time. Dim the lights, fluff the pillow, and let them go off to dreamland...

Emtsgv

Forum Crew Member
I think it was a serious question. You honestly don't let your patients sleep during transports? Particularly on most IFTs, and for many 911 calls, you really shouldn't need to bombard the patient with questions the entire time. Dim the lights, fluff the pillow, and let them go off to dreamland...

I'm sorry but I do my job to the fullest extent , there not in he back of my ambulance to "sleep" they can sleep at home or the hospital , how can one do his paper work or give a good report to the RN at receive facility ? There's this stigma that fire or 911 ambulances are the only ones that can do or give good care well I'm no burnout and won't become one sir sorry

Anjel

Forum Angel
I'm sorry but I do my job to the fullest extent , there not in he back of my ambulance to "sleep" they can sleep at home or the hospital , how can one do his paper work or give a good report to the RN at receive facility ? There's this stigma that fire or 911 ambulances are the only ones that can do or give good care well I'm no burnout and won't become one sir sorry

It should take 5 minutes to get all your questions done and out of the way. And you will have all your info to give to whoever.

If I don't feel good, I want to sleep. Let the poor people sleep.

Emtsgv

Forum Crew Member
It should take 5 minutes to get all your questions done and out of the way. And you will have all your info to give to whoever.

If I don't feel good, I want to sleep. Let the poor people sleep.

I'm not holding them hostage and saying they can't sleep, but when transport time is 10 mins or 15 I'm going to get my assesment questions out not saying that it takes me that long but it's per call so if I gotta dig I'm going to simple as that but if the situation allows then to sleep then by all means to ahead

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you think your ambulance is some kind of sacred medical Mecca that should never allow patients to rest? The man is 94 years old. He's being transferred for a routine non-emergent issue, and your role in this scenario is to provide a comfortable and safe ride to the hospital.

I didn't insinuate that you were burnt out, nor would I ever suggest that IFT services don't provide good care. Furthermore, differences between 911 and IFT has nothing to do with this scenario. The reality is BLS IFT should emphasize transport and good customer service. In this case, good customer service means letting the patient sleep. You're not going to do anything to fix the patient's medical problem, and any questions you want answered are in the patient's chart right in front of you. The sending facility likely called in report to the receiving anyway, and telling the receiving RN that your stable patient slept comfortably without complaint for the 15 minute transport with stable vitals throughout is perfectly acceptable. Pass on the chief complaint and chart, and your handover report is finished.

Emtsgv

Forum Crew Member
Why do you think your ambulance is some kind of sacred medical Mecca that should never allow patients to rest? The man is 94 years old. He's being transferred for a routine non-emergent issue, and your role in this scenario is to provide a comfortable and safe ride to the hospital.

I didn't insinuate that you were burnt out, nor would I ever suggest that IFT services don't provide good care. Furthermore, differences between 911 and IFT has nothing to do with this scenario. The reality is BLS IFT should emphasize transport and good customer service. In this case, good customer service means letting the patient sleep. You're not going to do anything to fix the patient's medical problem, and any questions you want answered are in the patient's chart right in front of you. The sending facility likely called in report to the receiving anyway, and telling the receiving RN that your stable patient slept comfortably without complaint for the 15 minute transport with stable vitals throughout is perfectly acceptable. Pass on the chief complaint and chart, and your handover report is finished.

We simple don't agree and that's fine , I respect what you have to say but i won't change my assesment or the way I operate while in the field by all means do what you feel is right and as will I , I'm not here to argue

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We simple don't agree and that's fine , I respect what you have to say but i won't change my assesment or the way I operate while in the field by all means do what you feel is right and as will I , I'm not here to argue

I'm simply amazed by your attitude. I'm speechless. And that doesn't happen very often.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
What did she need to ask him? You don't let people sleep during IFTs?

^This. If it's an IFT, get all your questions out of the way while you're picking them up, or look it up in their chart. Transport time on an IFT is sleep time for them and report writing time for you. If you haven't figured this method out on your own already, you're probably either a newbie or committed to acting like one.

Emtsgv

Forum Crew Member
you're probably either a newbie or committed to acting like one.

Your rude comment is unnecessary, but sense so many people feel that we need not talk to pt's en route and its mandatory to let them SLEEP because that's so important to an IFT transport.

why dont they just take a taxi?

For this call that i spoke of, i was not attending, i was driving was sharing a funny story that my partner was the one attending

but there has been plenty of times where ive gone to a SNF and the report was not given to me at all "just transport", well okay your the RN, get to the hospital or receiving facility and they say, "we never got a report" so there for i do my questions which don't take 15 mins, maybe 5-7 mins in total WITH vitals, but the point i was trying to make is if i have to spend 15 mins getting the information i would, every PT isn't getting GRILLED for 15 mins or 20 until arriving, i let pts sleep If at the time my assessment is done and my paper is squared away.

this thread blew up with hate, and put downs, i personally hope none of you are FTO's because the way ive been treated is kinda sad IMO, i take pride in PT care and helping people i got into this line of work to help people not be put down by some people on threads anyway i wish you all the best of luck but i wont reply to this thread anymore! good luck and be safe out there

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Your rude comment is unnecessary, but sense so many people feel that we need not talk to pt's en route and its mandatory to let them SLEEP because that's so important to an IFT transport, why dont they just take a taxi?

Edited your spacing so it makes sense… however the word you were searching for was actually *since* instead of sense… And the reason they can't take a taxi should be apparent. I won't explain any further because it makes my head hurt.

For this call that i spoke of, i was not attending, i was driving was sharing a funny story that my partner was the one attending

Right, but you inferred that you operate the same way...

but there has been plenty of times where ive gone to a SNF and the report was not given to me at all "just transport", well okay your the RN, get to the hospital or receiving facility and they say, "we never got a report" so there for i do my questions which don't take 15 mins, maybe 5-7 mins in total WITH vitals, but the point i was trying to make is if i have to spend 15 mins getting the information i would, every PT isn't getting GRILLED for 15 mins or 20 until arriving, i let pts sleep If at the time my assessment is done and my paper is squared away.

*have been plenty (another edit) *you're and there are other edits, but again, it makes my head hurt. The point I think I was trying to make was: ask those questions beforehand. The nurse can say "just transport" all day long (although in my experience that's not the case) but you have the ability to say, "Yeah, but before we go I'd like to know a little more about this guy. Can you tell me what is going on with him? Where is he going? Why? What's his history? Is his meds/allergy list in his file? Are there any special needs?"

this thread blew up with hate, and put downs, i personally hope none of you are FTO's because the way ive been treated is kinda sad IMO, i take pride in PT care and helping people i got into this line of work to help people not be put down by some people on threads anyway i wish you all the best of luck but i wont reply to this thread anymore! good luck and be safe out there

I don't think this thread "blew up with hate". I think it blew up with common sense...

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
While not my most ridiculous call, it was rather funny. Around 0330 the other night, a call goes out on the county fire channel(we scan) for an "Accident with injuries, possible rollover", after hearing which engine was responding I knew we weren't going to get the call(too far away), our dispatch then comes on the radio and dispatches the closest unit to that call all while another call on fire's channel comes out for a rectal bleed, and as luck would have it, we get the rectal bleed, we go in route and about a minute later our dispatcher gets on the radio and tells the unit that is enroute to the MVC that they now need to stage as one of the drivers of the cars that was involved is now out of his car and chasing the driver of the other car around the scene, to which someone got on the radio and said "sounds like 2 refusals to me". Gotta have what fun you can at 0330.

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like a reasonable use of the original meaning of queer. After all, who hasn't felt a little queer from time to time?

Yep original meaning of the word. Just like gay means happy.

This was early in my career. We got called by PD and rescue. On scene PD was chasing after a nude girl. They finally caught her and managed to put some clothes on her. She was restrained to the stretcher. She was clearly on something. She had a big shiner (black eye). Well on the way to the hospital she kept taking her clothes off and she wanted to have sex with me and my partner. It's a call that I never forgot. She was actually not bad looking. I was never tempted, but just the thought.
Just the other day we were at the ER and PD came in with a kid on bath salts. This kid was insane. Growling like an animal. Interesting.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Infected brand new Prince Albert. Softball sized and fire engine red.

I was chauffing a volunteer based unit. The two EMTs were smoking hot and went in ahead of me as I was an extra that day...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Hassid SWAT

6a00d83451b71f69e201901e30e9de970b-150wi

Yes, that's what GOOGLE images dredged up. I wanted guys in tac gear labelled "SWAT" in Hebrew.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Dispatched to kid with hand trapped in a bike chain. Sure enough, bike on it's back, seven year old girl was cranking the pedals and watching the wheel whiz, she went to do something near the chain and her brother touched the pedals.

As we were running in little circles to get the bolt cutters, with this screaming little girl and her panicked mother adding to the chaos, the assistant chief arrived. Took the pipe out of his mouth, looked at the hand, said "Huh!" and gave the crank a half turn.

Hand freed.:eek: