1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Store is open, now with t-shirts and keychains. Click on STORE in the top menu.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you carry? - The mega thread

Discussion in 'Ambulances and Equipment' started by MMiz, Mar 3, 2004.

1. CodeBru1984

CodeBru1984 EMT

Education:
    EMT
    I did too, until I lost them... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViolynEMT likes this.
  2. Handsome Robb

Handsome Robb Youngin' Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    I used to always make fun of people who wore duty belts...now I work at an agency where they are widely accepted and nearly standard. Not so people can have ridiculous amounts of gear on them but because we have a PPE pouch we're required to carry that has eye-pro, an N95 mask and a couple other little mandatory things so they put that on there. Our radios don't have belt clips on them so you need either a radio strap or holster and it's required to be on your person anytime you're out of the station so that goes on the duty belt. Then there's a unit cell phone that one crew member has to carry. So between the radio and PPE pouch the belt makes it easier so then people usually add a flashlight holder and their raptor or other Leatherman multi-tool and maybe a glove pouch so you don't have to open the big PPE pouch to grab gloves when you're on a call.

The other reason it makes sense for us to have a belt is at night it's easy to keep your belt on your nightstand and when we get a call just wake up, get dressed then throw your belt on and you know you have everything.

After that long winded response my list is:
    PPE pouch with the above noted items inside. Second pocket on the pouch has an IV start kit plus a few various catheters, a couple flushes and syringes for med admin.
    Raptor
    Radio
    Flashlight
    Glove Pouch
    Wallet
    Keys
    Pens...more pens...

3. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic formerly DEmedic

Education:
    Paramedic
    Now that I'm back on a ambulance my stuff has pared down.

Radio, either on a strap or my belt, depending on my mood.
    A couple of pens.
    Shears.
    Gerber hinderer (I actually use this more than shears)
    Maybe a streamlight stylus pro in my shirt pen pocket.
    iPhone in my cargo pocket.

That's it.

4. MonkeyArrow

MonkeyArrow Forum Asst. Chief

ER teching:

Leatherman raptors at 4 o'clock
    Carabiner with 2 rolls of 1" tape clipped to a belt loop
    Leatherman Wingman
    1 Pen
    1 Penlight
    Moleskin notebook
    1 Pair of gloves

5. jteeters

jteeters Forum Crew Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    I carry a Raptor, an extra pair of trauma shears (the Paramedics I've worked with never carry them...so I'm going to break that cycle when I get my own truck next week), at least 3 pens because my partners steal them, a knife, and my pager. That's it. OH, and a penlight.

6. Dennhop

Dennhop Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    Because I'm home alone and bored, wife and kids are all on vacation, here's my random stuff to clutter up this thread:and maybe be the exception to the norm of the newbie Batman belt....
    Penlight: I work nights-nuff said.
    Pen and small notepad-for when the computer inevitably dies
    Wallet-self explanatory
    ZT knife-ive always carried knives, they just come in handy...usually cutting open boxes, occasionally as a screwdriver or prying on stuff I shouldn't be prying on with a knife...
    The radio-i did buy a strap holster for it simply because for me to change zones on it when we have to call the hospitals, the clip tends to hang up on my belt, making it a pita trying to look at the screen..
    I usually have two pairs of gloves in my pockets...if we're not at the truck and I need a new pair, I've got a pair.

7. Dennhop

Dennhop Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    Because I'm home alone and bored, wife and kids are all on vacation, here's my random stuff to clutter up this thread:and maybe be the exception to the norm of the newbie Batman belt....
    Penlight: I work nights-nuff said.
    Pen and small notepad-for when the computer inevitably dies
    Wallet-self explanatory
    ZT knife-ive always carried knives, they just come in handy...usually cutting open boxes, occasionally as a screwdriver or prying on stuff I shouldn't be prying on with a knife...
    The radio-i did buy a strap holster for it simply because for me to change zones on it when we have to call the hospitals, the clip tends to hang up on my belt, making it a pita trying to look at the screen..
    I usually have two pairs of gloves in my pockets...if we're not at the truck and I need a new pair, I've got a pair.

I don't like having a ton of crap on me, and anything else I do need is on the truck or in our bags.

8. Jeff2mars

Jeff2mars Forum Ride Along

When I started as an EMT, I used to wear a duty belt with a pocket resuscitation mask, gloves, examination lamp, pen and notepad
    Now, 12 years after, I'm only wearing gloves, pen and notepad. Everything else is in the bags.

In my department some used to say "The quality of an EMT is inversely proportional to what he carries at his belt". Well I suppose that's not necessarily true but it stayed in my memory!

9. WolfmanHarris

WolfmanHarris Forum Asst. Chief

Same reason I wear the two piece belt. When I try to shut it down at night and grab some rest it's nice to have all that stuff hanging of the truck mirror.

I carry
    Belt
    - Radio w/ lapel mic
    - Truck smart phone
    - Leatherman
    - Glove pouch
    - Big shears
    - Small flashlight

Pant pockets
    - Directive book
    - Wallet

Shirt
    - Pen and notepad
    - Personal cell phone

Litmann cardiology

10. WolfmanHarris

WolfmanHarris Forum Asst. Chief

I liked "remember where belts are concerned, there's a fine line between keener and weener."

11. CWATT

CWATT Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    1x stainless steel pen [Zebra 701] (easy cleaning)
    1x spare pair gloves
    1x trauma sheers [Leatherman Raptors]
    1x mini flashlight [ThruNite Ti4]
    1x Broslow's tape

I'm going to start carrying a click-style Sharpie.

Has anyone experienced issues with their Raptors? I had to exchange two pairs of mine; the first because of a manufacturing defect in the release button and the second because there was so much play in the blades, I wasn't able to cut through gum-boots. When we got to the ED, one of the nurses with her $5 basic sheers cut through them with ease.

12. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic formerly DEmedic

Education:
    Paramedic
    Why do you carry a broslow tape? Are you a paramedic? Is there a tape in your pedi bag?

13. CWATT

CWATT Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    No, I'm an EMT. I got it free when I did my PALS program and figured it would be handy to have on my person and helpful in assisting the paramedic. It doens't weigh anything, so I'm not really put out by it. We don't see many pediatrics though, so I'm not sure if it's helpful or not yet.

14. CALEMT

CALEMT The Other Guy

Education:
    EMT
    Its not. If you already have one in your bags, why carry one on you? Why is a EMT taking a PALS class? Im all for expanding your knowledge but why pay money for a class that you can't really use?

NomadicMedic likes this.
  15. CWATT

CWATT Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    Because I don't plan to stay an EMT. I'm working pretty hard toward the EMT-P scope and want to do as much pre-learning as possible so I can maximize my learning while I'm in school.

16. CALEMT

CALEMT The Other Guy

Education:
    EMT
    Take it from a current medic student, focus less on the cookie cutter classes and pay more attention to what your medic is doing on scene and why.

17. medichopeful

medichopeful EMT, ICU RN, CCRN, CEN

Education:
    EMT
    The more I research the science and reasoning behind some of these cookie cutter classes, the more I realize they're killing patients.

I'm looking at you, ACLS.

DSDMedic likes this.