the 100% directionless thread

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I'm sure I'll get the blow torch from everyone here but, the best places to work have a union. Preferably a red sticker you can put on your car kinda union. You are young and you need to plan for your future now. You want to a place that pays well and offers not only benefits but some sort of retirement program. I spent the first half of my 30+ year career in the private sector and worked with some amazing people. Many of them are still there with no hope of any kind of decent life after EMS. Shiny new rigs and great uniform policies and sign on bonus offers make things look desirable but it's all about finding someplace that will let you enjoy a life after you can't work the bus anymore. Just my 2 cents.
This. Why do you think Fire is so desirable these days, it's the retirement, you can't beat it, not to mention an actual promotional ladder beyond field supervisor, protection from management. It's all going away though, many cities are looking to cut costs, starting with safety pensions. In SoCal alone there are 3 cities that started FD's with no CalPERS, straight 401k, and no union.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Apart from a few unions, unions and unionization has been getting weaker and slowing down since Regan.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
I'm 26 now. Started my 457 when I was 24/25 it'll pay in dividends by the time I retire.
Come as close as you can to maxing out your contributions. The payoff there (as opposed to a 401k) is that you're not assessed any penalty if you take money out before you're 59 and a half like the 401K. Really nice deal for "early" retirement.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Rule 1 with any job, your employer doesn’t give a **** about you. You’re a tool and a very replaceable one at that. All they care about is making money. You can work your tail off and be best employee there but you can be fired at any moment for no reason at all. Thank you at will employment. All any of us can do is keep our heads down and not draw attention to ourselves.

painting all employers with that broad brush is 100% inaccurate. If you feel that way about your employer, there’s big problems there.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a DVR question. A couple of months ago I got hooked on the show Yellowstone. It was a marathon weekend, all the seasons were on. I set the DVR to record them. It recorded episodes 1-4 on season one. All the episodes for seasons 2 and 3.

Christmas weekend was another marathon. DVR was set, I got all of season 1, just one episode of season 2, and all of season 3. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed episodes that have been recorded
and then losing them?

NomadicMedic

I'm sure I'll get the blow torch from everyone here but, the best places to work have a union. Preferably a red sticker you can put on your car kinda union. You are young and you need to plan for your future now. You want to a place that pays well and offers not only benefits but some sort of retirement program. I spent the first half of my 30+ year career in the private sector and worked with some amazing people. Many of them are still there with no hope of any kind of decent life after EMS. Shiny new rigs and great uniform policies and sign on bonus offers make things look desirable but it's all about finding someplace that will let you enjoy a life after you can't work the bus anymore. Just my 2 cents.

The basic thought behind this is100% true. I’m not anti union, but just sticking an IAFF logo on your back window doesn’t fix all the problems.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
painting all employers with that broad brush is 100% inaccurate. If you feel that way about your employer, there’s big problems there.
I feel that way about every employer I’ve had and it’s been true. Granted most of my jobs have been entry level minimum wage jobs, but still.

unrelated: I hate that just about every ambulance I’ve been in I’m stuck in the back the entire shift because I’m too short to drive.

NomadicMedic

I feel that way about every employer I’ve had and it’s been true. Granted most of my jobs have been entry level minimum wage jobs, but still.

unrelated: I hate that just about every ambulance I’ve been in I’m stuck in the back the entire shift because I’m too short to drive.

thats unfortunate. (The job part, not the short part, but I guess that sucks too)

There really are amazing places to work. You just have to search for them, and be the kind of person they want.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
thats unfortunate. (The job part, not the short part, but I guess that sucks too)

There really are amazing places to work. You just have to search for them, and be the kind of person they want.
I’m not saying that all jobs are bad, I’m saying that employers don’t have your best interest first. I don’t mean your ODS I’m talking about management, the ones who only see the bottom line, not the people.

In regards to the height thing, are EMTs who are under like 5’3” rare?

Last edited:

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
This is very true! Some awesome places out there. The agency I had to leave when I moved back to California was a really fun place to work. I loved working there and looked forward to coming to work every day.

You never know - you and another employee or two might click and together will help make the place a good place to be. The people can make all the difference sometimes.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
America looses when Alabama wins. Same goes for Clemson and Ohio State.

NomadicMedic

I just made a batch of wings in the air fryer. Damn. Tossed in butter and Old Bay hot sauce.

I've got a new favorite.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
171,171 calls for 2020:
-142,609 medical calls
-17,544 fires, other
-6,451 public assists
-2,377 hazmats
-1,653 veg fires
-835 structure fires

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
171,171 calls for 2020:
-142,609 medical calls
-17,544 fires, other
-6,451 public assists
-2,377 hazmats
-1,653 veg fires
-835 structure fires
83% EMS runs. Sounds about right

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
After a 2355 "I can't pee and the facility waited all day to call" that rudely awakened me from my nap of 8 hours, we finally got to the ED. A quick scope of the snack room, post call, showed a good selection. One uncrustable and cheese stick in the pocket and I'm good. Tragedy struck and I couldn't find my cheese stick. Partner didn't see it either.

I was beside myself with sorrow and agony.

Then I used my trusty Streamlight Stylus Pro (R) and then saw my cheese stick on the floor of the truck. Slipped out of my pocket.

TYFYS Streamlight. I'll snack well tonight.

(Post is in jest, tongue in cheek, BTW. Inspired by true events)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Pan seared the last deer tenderloin I had in Irish butter and rosemary. Sadly this hunting season wasn't as productive as hoped with work and all. Colorado is looking like next years trip though.