the 100% directionless thread

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Well. I finally took the "A job interview goes both ways" to heart.

I want to showcase my skills and interests, passion, but as well as my drive and expectations.

I got, not aggressive, per se, but forward in my questions and clear.

Not great PCR software, use of tablets (I don't like tablets), but every truck does have a monitor at least here.

They say they'll work with school.

No paid CE or recert help, no school reimbursement.

No stations. 15-16 hour shifts are standard.

Pay is more than a 2$ cut unless they ante up current pay. About 2 year old company from prior experience where they sold out to Acadian, but they only now started annual performance reviews.

They said I was very impressed with me and how professional I was.

Uniform seems reasonable, but no stipend.

No guarantee of getting 911.

At least there's no non competition agreement, they want disclosure.

No 401K.

At least they have workman's comp.

But they seemed very happy how well I spoke, my questions and engagement and honesty.

But they haven't sold me.

Time to submit more applications.

Everything about that job sounds terrible.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
That's why I'm really not all that interested, to be honest. I'm going to keep looking

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
One red flag was the supervisor during the interview when it came to pay talks. "There's no correlation between pay and quality of work"

Me in my head "Well, paying high doesn't guarantee the best, but paying low just about guarantees the worst" (compounds with experience as well)

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
One red flag was the supervisor during the interview when it came to pay talks. "There's no correlation between pay and quality of work"

Me in my head "Well, paying high doesn't guarantee the best, but paying low just about guarantees the worst" (compounds with experience as well)
You’re not wrong. Definitely hold out for something better. Jumping from one bad situation to another one isn’t a wise move. You’ll not be happy there and it’s better to not have multiple companies in a short period of time. Raises too many red flags with the good companies.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
You’re not wrong. Definitely hold out for something better. Jumping from one bad situation to another one isn’t a wise move. You’ll not be happy there and it’s better to not have multiple companies in a short period of time. Raises too many red flags with the good companies.
Amen (and awomen 😂)

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Last shift, I took a nice lady to get Staples out of her head. She was like 78.

I was told she'd had a Glioma. Wasn't sure what was. SNF said a tumor was removed.

Lady had right side deficits, slurred speech, AOX3, scared and stressed about being alone and with the disabilities she had. She was very weak.

I'd held her hand for most of the trip, talked to her. Even got her sister on my phone because she was worried about her sister. We prayed together. She didn't even know where she lived or some stuff, so it was kind of hard to get to know her more.

The doctor who did her craniotomy took out her Staples. I asked about what kind of surgery it was and he said it was cancer. Specifically a glioblastoma and brain cancer rarely metastasises, so they don't usually stage it.

She still needs radiation for what's left or something.

Was wiring the report on it

Did some research on it, and in the age range of like 55-65, she's got less than 6% chance of living 5 years. And add a decade or so to that for her age?

:(

I hate things like this. Sweet lady. She was just doing her best.

She says she liked to read, but she couldn't remember exactly what.

I'm sent her an easy looking paint by number to the SNF, she said she'd love to paint. She could use something fun and to lift her spirits.

I just hope I don't like get in trouble for it?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
A hospital job may not be a bad place to start looking. Ive come across a few that have some sweet education benefits and you will have your retirement and good insurance. It's not my preferred place to be a B or P, but I would absolutely take that over your current set up.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
A hospital job may not be a bad place to start looking. Ive come across a few that have some sweet education benefits and you will have your retirement and good insurance. It's not my preferred place to be a B or P, but I would absolutely take that over your current set up.

I've been looking at those too. I love the ambulance though 😭

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
'm sent her an easy looking paint by number to the SNF, she said she'd love to paint. She could use something fun and to lift her spirits.

I just hope I don't like get in trouble for it?

I love stuff like this.

A year or so ago I went to an assisted living facility for a fall. It turned out to be BLS, but I was dispatched as the medic and got there first. She was a sweet old lady that tripped and fell, hitting her head on the dresser. She needed a couple of stitches to close the wound and as I was waiting for the BLS crew, I was teasing her saying that the next time I saw her I wanted to dance to the big band stuff she was listening to. I wound up going back to see her a week or so later and I brought a plant. We sat and drank tea for a bit and chatted ... and every time I went into that ALF or the attached SNF, all those people knew I was the paramedic that brought Doris a plant and stopped by for tea. Nobody ever visited her and a 5 dollar plant and a visit from a fat, old medic made her tear up. :) It made my day. And hers.

That's the good stuff we do. If you can take time out to do something nice, it'll keep you connected with why this job is important. Well done.

And why would you get in trouble for that? If anyone gives you grief about it... tell 'em to pound sand.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I love stuff like this.

A year or so ago I went to an assisted living facility for a fall. It turned out to be BLS, but I was dispatched as the medic and got there first. She was a sweet old lady that tripped and fell, hitting her head on the dresser. She needed a couple of stitches to close the wound and as I was waiting for the BLS crew, I was teasing her saying that the next time I saw her I wanted to dance to the big band stuff she was listening to. I wound up going back to see her a week or so later and I brought a plant. We sat and drank tea for a bit and chatted ... and every time I went into that ALF or the attached SNF, all those people knew I was the paramedic that brought Doris a plant and stopped by for tea. Nobody ever visited her and a 5 dollar plant and a visit from a fat, old medic made her tear up. :) It made my day. And hers.

That's the good stuff we do. If you can take time out to do something nice, it'll keep you connected with why this job is important. Well done.

And why would you get in trouble for that? If anyone gives you grief about it... tell 'em to pound sand.

Cause like. Trying to influence pts while I'm working for a private company or something? Bribery?

It was like 10$ for the kit. I went looking for one that looked easy, cause her motor control isn't great.

I like to see if my pt is Christian, if they're catholic I pray the rosary with them. If not, regular prayer.

I do my best to be a good EMT, and I do care. I just wish I could do more.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Psychiatrist recommended a sleep study, which I am on board with, and she floated applying for disability, which I will have to think about.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Cause like. Trying to influence pts while I'm working for a private company or something? Bribery?

It was like 10$ for the kit. I went looking for one that looked easy, cause her motor control isn't great.

I like to see if my pt is Christian, if they're catholic I pray the rosary with them. If not, regular prayer.

I do my best to be a good EMT, and I do care. I just wish I could do more.

I'm not very religious. (I'm a recovering catholic) but I've prayed with plenty of patients. I hold a lot of hands and I always try to do something to make sure they remember our service. It's not hard to be outstanding.

I've always been a fan of providing amazing customer service if you have the opportunity. Obviously, the focus changes on critical patients, but when I can, I try to live the Scott Gross lifestyle, believing that "people want to play..." If you want a great read, I recommend one of his books. It should be required for every EMT, along with Thom ****'s "People Care".

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm not very religious. (I'm a recovering catholic) but I've prayed with plenty of patients. I hold a lot of hands and I always try to do something to make sure they remember our service. It's not hard to be outstanding.

I've always been a fan of providing amazing customer service if you have the opportunity. Obviously, the focus changes on critical patients, but when I can, I try to live the Scott Gross lifestyle, believing that "people want to play..." If you want a great read, I recommend one of his books. It should be required for every EMT, along with Thom ****'s "People Care".

Does that mean you're returning to Catholicism?

There was one transport we had, I was in the back. The family only spoke Spanish. The husband was not that old, but was dying. I think it was a stroke that just did him in. He was stable enough to make it home, but he was not long for this world.

The wife had been crying a lot and was upset, I had her in the captain's chair.

I prefer to be on the bench next to my pt with the monitor to my left. When I've got pts that are pretty healthy, I'll turn off the monitor between vitals to save battery. With hospice pts, I keep it on. We're not required to take vitals for DNR, but I do. I guess I just want to know how they're doing with some numbers. I know not to treat the monitor, but if my pt codes, I don't want to be asked how they were before (for QC/QI, EMS stuff or even, if the family asks, etc), and just give them an "Uhhhhh", cause I never once checked. Even if they have a DNR, they still deserve to be monitored and looked after.

I saw on the sheet he was catholic, so I asked her in Spanish if she was. My Spanish is so so. I can pronounce things pretty well. Vocabulary is so so, I'm conversational, but it is sometimes rough. I can crack a few jokes. She said she was, so I pulled my rosary out of my pocket.

After my brother died, the church ladies made one with his name on it. I keep it on me always. I always worry about breaking it, losing it, etc, but I like to keep it close.

I gave it to her, much to my worry about it, maybe the object itself holds more value than it should. It's just a thing. Right?

But, she was very happy to have it for a bit. She immediately started praying the rosary rapidly. I don't know the prayers in Spanish by heart, but I knew the words she was saying and what prayer it was.

She looked better, more energetic, and more calm.

She prayed with it during the ride. She was grateful for it.

Even if I can only bring a small bit of comfort and humanity for a short trip, I'll do it. And I think if people think they're above that, (not saying everyone should have a rosary, but do what you can in your own way for the patients and family), then they don't belong on my truck or any truck or in the uniform.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Psychiatrist recommended a sleep study, which I am on board with, and she floated applying for disability, which I will have to think about.

Still waiting on my results, and, boy, do clocks and calendars call me every 5 seconds.

I think it's worth the try.

Results pending.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
There is zero reason for EMS line staff to ever have a non-compete.

Oh.

My current job will can you if you get another IFT job. Not a 911 job though.

But the owner hates the owner of the company like 6 employees are fixing to quit to go to. They do IFT and 911 in another county. Some dude had written a contract for my current employer because a certain area , or city liked the dude. But then the dude went to the other company and had the contract rewritten with the new service and not mine. This was years ago.

It's so political and stupid. The sup said he wouldn't enforce it as long as you show up for your shifts.

But the owner is a real turd.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Psssh, you know what they say "if you ain't suppression, you ain't s**t"
Haha.

I got my cred from being on the real medic. My truck ran more calls last year than the other medic and two out of three of the engines combined. Should admin work on this discrepancy? Yea...but I won't hold my breath. If you can't beat em join em.