the 100% directionless thread

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
AEMT is not well used in Colorado as we have the IV certification and some things that go with it. So we have fluids, D50, Naloxone, nebs, nitro without OLMC, CPAP, and depending on where you work, IO access.

I wish we used AEMT instead so I would have gotten more than a 24 hour class on this.

I'd consider getting my medic but I want to be sure that I could find a place for myself where I could eventually transition into a more system wide QA and policy role.

Makes sense. CT uses the AEMT, but with terribly conservative protocols (think: EMT + saline lock and NS, and that's it). NY, which is where I'll be post-grad, is better, at least, a little bit (pretty close to your EMT-IV, I believe). Gotta take the class though, and I think it's the NRAEMT class as far as length goes. Not that it's a bad thing, though.

I'd think that an NRP with an MPH or something of the sort would be pretty marketable -- not a lot of field providers with graduate degrees, I don't think, and definitely not with management or policy-related degrees.

So far the only thing that I have found that gets me is when the RT suctions trach patients.

I'm fine with vomit and smells. Although gangrene did almost get me to hurl once.

Ooh, yeah, that'll make anybody gag, I would imagine. Never been a sympathetic vomiter, myself, hence my attraction to EMS :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ooh, yeah, that'll make anybody gag, I would imagine. Never been a sympathetic vomiter, myself, hence my attraction to EMS :p

Cauterized flesh. I hate it when no one has an extra hand to suction up bovie smoke.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Cauterized flesh. I hate it when no one has an extra hand to suction up bovie smoke.

Are you kidding me?

You are forever banished from surgery.

That is like a badge of honor.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm a sympathetic puker. Partially digested coffee and Chinese food made both me and my partner start gagging. I love the orange scented spray we keep in the back of the truck.

I'm a sympathetic gagger. Vomit doesn't often get to me, but if I have someone gagging on phlegm I can't stand it. That's the one thing so far that has bothered me.

There's a reason you find sympathy in the dictionary between s*!% and syphilis.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Wow. I don't remember the last time I was on this forum, it's been so long.

I hope everyone is well! Be safe out there y'all!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Hah, I remember you.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm a sympathetic gagger. Vomit doesn't often get to me, but if I have someone gagging on phlegm I can't stand it. That's the one thing so far that has bothered me.

Nose bleeders gagging on and spitting out blood clots get to me.

I can do dead bodies, puke, poo, blood, gore, you name it. Blood clots from nose bleeds though...no thank you!

Tired of coming home from a stressful job looking to relax only to walk into another stressful situation at home. Something needs to change. The girly also is officially cut from the team, I'm done playing games. Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out blondie. Also, don't come up to my ambulance trying to be all cute and sweet, because I will either roll the window up if it's down or keep it up if it's closed because I want nothing to do with you and your stupid games.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Massive Pseudoaneurysm from an ABG stick... Oops

SSwain

Forum Captain
So...who wears green on St Patrick's Day?

And who wears orange?

Let me add.... I used to wear one, but now I choose the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Nose bleeders gagging on and spitting out blood clots get to me.

The sound of suction and puke are my two major ick factors, but I agree with the nose bleed clots, they get to me sometimes too.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
So...who wears green on St Patrick's Day?

And who wears orange?

Let me add.... I used to wear one, but now I choose the other.

I'm doing green. What with that pinching or whatever people do.

Disclaimer: Not Irish

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Life's been busy for me.

Starting a new job (Industrial Paramedic) - It's kinda back to my old job of EMT/Security - Lots of site response, but I'm expected to be a clinician most of the time. Pretty cool.

I'm also helping with planning EMS for the 2013 Boy Scout National Jamboree. Should be a fun time - Anyone that wants to volunteer to help is welcome (well, volunteer, and pay their own way). If you're going to be there, let me know!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
One more question - Anyone know anything about working EMS in Yellowstone National Park?

I've been asked if I'm interested in a summer position there... lots to think about, both positive and negative, but I'd really like to know more about the job if anyone here has done it.

Anjel

Forum Angel
The girly also is officially cut from the team, I'm done playing games. Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out blondie. Also, don't come up to my ambulance trying to be all cute and sweet, because I will either roll the window up if it's down or keep it up if it's closed because I want nothing to do with you and your stupid games.

Good. Proud of you.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
One more question - Anyone know anything about working EMS in Yellowstone National Park?

I've been asked if I'm interested in a summer position there... lots to think about, both positive and negative, but I'd really like to know more about the job if anyone here has done it.

When I did my WEMT, there was a Ranger in the class. She said that the larger parks (Yellowstone, etc.) have proprietary medics. NPS personnel staff the ambulances, I believe.

Some info from a quick Goog':

http://www.secretyellowstone.com/park-operations/medical-services
Not quite a ranked journal, but interesting: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17896848

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I wear green, haha. Every time I go out wearing green I get so many compliments on my eyes... Lol
Anyways, Trans Am is officially for sale :sad:
Mixed feelings on it. Don't have to pay the $612/ month for insurance (yes, per MONTH) when I move out in the next few weeks that I was quoted. Don't have to pay all the repairs I always do, but I still love the car... :unsure:
Been up for less than 5 hours and I already have someone coming out to look at it in the morning.
Edit: Anyone suggest a decent car under 10k with somewhat cheap insurance? I was glancing at a few Dodge Magnums, never had a Dodge though.

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I wear green, haha. Every time I go out wearing green I get so many compliments on my eyes... Lol
Anyways, Trans Am is officially for sale :sad:
Mixed feelings on it. Don't have to pay the $612/ month for insurance (yes, per MONTH) when I move out in the next few weeks that I was quoted. Don't have to pay all the repairs I always do, but I still love the car... :unsure:
Been up for less than 5 hours and I already have someone coming out to look at it in the morning.
Edit: Anyone suggest a decent car under 10k with somewhat cheap insurance? I was glancing at a few Dodge Magnums, never had a Dodge though.

How is your insurance that horrible?? Eesh, at least it will be a welcome change when you get a new car!