the 100% directionless thread

medic417

The Truth Provider
Wouldn't the easiest way to avoid this be to just keep the damn things on your person? If you're leaving them out where they can be "touched" by others, how can that be considered secure?

The amount of narcs we carry will not fit in a pocket. If I place the box on shelf to do the thing that I do, it is in no ones way. Thus if they touch they are where they do not belong.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
The amount of narcs we carry will not fit in a pocket. If I place the box on shelf to do the thing that I do, it is in no ones way. Thus if they touch they are where they do not belong.

Why don't we keep the narcs double locked in a cabinet where the DEA requires we put them and the emt can't get to them?

Everywhere i've worked the narcs are in the medics hands until they get locked into the cabinet. You don't have to worry about them when they're locked up.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Had the second worst IFT I've ever had last night. Get to the local Level 4 at about 0100 for a OB in labor. The on duty doc, who is actually pretty good, says he thinks this 25 y/o who's G3P1 is 3 cm but she is screaming, thrashing around on the bed, and showing out so bad that he can't do a good exam. So we load her in the truck and get rolling. I get to spend the next very misserable hour in an enclosed space listening to her screaming almost nonstop. A few times I think she is about to put her hand through the plexiglass of the cabinet door. She tries to grab me in by the :censored: once and all the while she is thrashing and rolling around on the stretcher so bad that when she said she thought she peed herself, I almost missed the fact that her water broke because she had the sheet bunched up under her :censored:. The closest thing to an assessment I can do is pull the blanket back every 5 minutes or so to make sure she is not crowning.
By the time we made it to the OB facility, I wished I had delivered the baby already just so she would shut up.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Why don't we keep the narcs double locked in a cabinet where the DEA requires we put them and the emt can't get to them?

Everywhere i've worked the narcs are in the medics hands until they get locked into the cabinet. You don't have to worry about them when they're locked up.

If they are out they are being used or inventory is taking place.

How about a link to where it says 2 locks required?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
So... because it was going so well, I moved the "Drug box" thread out into it's own thread. I left the posts here, too... just for posterity's sake.

But I feel that topic is "going somewhere" - and that is TOTALLY against the point of this thread ;)

Find it here: http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=29161

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Had the second worst IFT I've ever had last night. Get to the local Level 4 at about 0100 for a OB in labor. The on duty doc, who is actually pretty good, says he thinks this 25 y/o who's G3P1 is 3 cm but she is screaming, thrashing around on the bed, and showing out so bad that he can't do a good exam. So we load her in the truck and get rolling. I get to spend the next very misserable hour in an enclosed space listening to her screaming almost nonstop. A few times I think she is about to put her hand through the plexiglass of the cabinet door. She tries to grab me in by the :censored: once and all the while she is thrashing and rolling around on the stretcher so bad that when she said she thought she peed herself, I almost missed the fact that her water broke because she had the sheet bunched up under her :censored:. The closest thing to an assessment I can do is pull the blanket back every 5 minutes or so to make sure she is not crowning.
By the time we made it to the OB facility, I wished I had delivered the baby already just so she would shut up.
Seriously? No OB or anesthesia on call? Pain like that ain't cool.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Finally released the cause of death of my friend. :(

Asphyxiation secondary to obstructive sleep apnea....

Wow. That's all I can say. Something that simple can take the life of healthy 21 yea old. So sad.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Good grief. That is some drama there. How much was she dilated when you got to the receiving facility?

I like to get in the face of girls like that and convince them to calm down. They help no one with the thrashing and screaming, and labor progresses better if you arent fighting it.

Poor girl.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

Wow. That's all I can say. Something that simple can take the life of healthy 21 yea old. So sad.

Those are harsh lessons to deal with when we're out in the field. Just the innumerable ways that people can and do die is enough to rock anyone's view of life and his/her place in it.

But you, this year have had more than your share of this variety with the added twist that they've all been people in your real life.

It's just an unfortunate "run" of bad luck for you as a witness. The worst luck seems to be theirs, but since we all end up going, only heaven knows what they've been saved from.

If you face these things squarely, you'll gain a perspective on life/death that few others will have. Then, your job is to share what you've learned to help others through their bad runs.

MS Medic

Forum Captain

wow that sucks man. Sorry to hear that.

Last edited by a moderator:

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Seriously? No OB or anesthesia on call? Pain like that ain't cool.
It was a level 4 county hospital without OB services. If I had picked her up on a 911 call, we would completely bypass that facility. Atleast, that is what I think you are asking.

Good grief. That is some drama there. How much was she dilated when you got to the receiving facility?

I like to get in the face of girls like that and convince them to calm down. They help no one with the thrashing and screaming, and labor progresses better if you arent fighting it.

Poor girl.

Everyone tried to tell her that including me. The mothers of both babies I've delivered didn't act that crazy during the actually delivery.

And she was actually 9 cm when the OB doc got her to calm down enough to examine her. If the sending facility had waited 10 more minutes before calling for the transfer, I would have ended up delivering in the receiving hospital parking lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Yay, I get to go show the medical students the ambulance today...

patput

Forum Crew Member
I'm doing one of those online defensive driving courses to lower my insurance. I honestly would be paying off my Expedition every year and then some if I wasn't on my parents policy. Rates are ridiculous for young drivers (no points or any of that either!). They are talking about MVCs are the two impacts that occur. Someone should have a talk with them about the kinematics of a car accident.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I'm doing one of those online defensive driving courses to lower my insurance. I honestly would be paying off my Expedition every year and then some if I wasn't on my parents policy. Rates are ridiculous for young drivers (no points or any of that either!). They are talking about MVCs are the two impacts that occur. Someone should have a talk with them about the kinematics of a car accident.

Yeah the whole "well at least my rates will go down when I get older" thing is only true to a point so don't look too forward to it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Work wants us to take mandatory training online. It's due tomorrow and I've been looking for the training, where they told us to look, for over a week now. Called other employees who can't find it either. Called the supervisor and left him a message. Nothing more I can do haha

patput

Forum Crew Member
Yeah the whole "well at least my rates will go down when I get older" thing is only true to a point so don't look too forward to it.

When I got added to my parents policy it almost doubled their cost. All of our vehicles are fairly new, and two are large trucks which probably doesn't help the situation. The vehicle that I'm considered the full time driver for is an 06 F250 crew cab diesel long bed. They probably figure I can kill a lot of people with that beast :rofl:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
They probably figure I can kill a lot of people with that beast :rofl:

Like mom always says: "It's a 3000-pound weapon you're driving there."

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just heard a call go over the radio "engine 30 and truck 35 code 3 for a hanglider stuck in powerlines. Be advised the hanglider is on fire". About a minute later "be advised patient is now on the ground next to a brush fire".

That guy/gal is not having a good day

MS Medic

Forum Captain
LOL, that is good stuff.