the 100% directionless thread

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Sounds like a douche medic.

Yep. I can't remember a single time I even came close to acting like this. Random people are in my drug boxes all the time -get this: GETTING MEDS OUT FOR THE PATIENT.

There is a lot of implied trust, and when something goes missing, everybody whose hands were in there is equally responsible.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Oh...it had narcs in it. I went to move it out of the way as we were moving a patient and he said "touch that box one more time and your done" funny thing is he had me go into it to get a glucometer earlier.

Mommy mommy, the EMT touched my box!!!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Except the medic is MORE equally responsible than all others. :ph34r:

Animal Farm <3

My cockatiel is loving this music... Side note. Sickness sucks.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Ugh, yesterday got worse and worse...just one more shift and I finally have a three day weekend.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Ugh, yesterday got worse and worse...just one more shift and I finally have a three day weekend.

We dropped a patient off at the ER for a minor complaint that was seen and treated at another ER 4 days earlier. Pt non-compliant with meds. Upon being told it would be a 7 hour wait, patient left and re-called 911 complaining of chest pain. We jumped on the call as we were still at the hospital. Look on their face when I stepped out was funny.

After giving a lengthy teaching to them about the proper use of 911, and notifying our supervisor of the abuse (easily "overheard" by the patient) we transported 1 mile to the next ER, with my parting words being "Are you going to call 911 again if they tell you it's a long wait?" After telling the charge nurse the full story, they got sent right back to a busy triage to wait in line with everyone else.

I didn't hear a 911 call come out of that ER.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Sounds like a douche medic.

Nope sounds like a Quality Paramedic that understands how unpleasant a visit from the DEA is. Trust me you don't want that trouble especially when the problem was someone to stupid to keep their hands off what is no theirs.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Nope sounds like a Quality Paramedic that understands how unpleasant a visit from the DEA is. Trust me you don't want that trouble especially when the problem was someone to stupid to keep their hands off what is no theirs.

Doesn't sound like a Quality paramedic to me. Sounds more like the ParaGod syndrome.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

It took 100's of thousands of pills, thousands of prescriptions and 15 years of writing bogus scripts before the DEA launched an investigation of a local pill mill. Do you really think they are going to be knocking on a medics door because he can't account for 100mgs of fent.

edit
I can find only one mention on google of an ambulance company being investigated by the DEA for missing narcs and it sounds like they were taken from their central supply not from the bus.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Doesn't sound like a Quality paramedic to me. Sounds more like the ParaGod syndrome.

Nope quality CYA. Once I sign out the narcs no one is allowed to touch them, if they ignore my orders they are fired. Once you get responsibility and actually are involved in a DEA investigation because of someone else's stupidity you will change that sad old accusation of Paragod that gets thrown out anytime those of us that do the job say no to you that still only aspire to do the job.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Oh...it had narcs in it. I went to move it out of the way as we were moving a patient and he said "touch that box one more time and your done" funny thing is he had me go into it to get a glucometer earlier.

I am assuming (dangerous, I know) that at some point during the run, he was using something out of the box for that patient, right? Otherwise, I can't figure out why the narcs would be sitting out in the first place.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Why aren't the narcs locked in the lockbox or on his person? A drugbox isn't a locked box. The box was also readily available to the pt if he had to move it out of the way while moving the pt.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Nope quality CYA. Once I sign out the narcs no one is allowed to touch them, if they ignore my orders they are fired. Once you get responsibility and actually are involved in a DEA investigation because of someone else's stupidity you will change that sad old accusation of Paragod that gets thrown out anytime those of us that do the job say no to you that still only aspire to do the job.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

So if the narc box is sitting on top of let's say the main response bag and I need to get something out of the main response bag fast then I can't. I'll just turn to the medic "ooh ParaGod, I would really like to get you the Epi but I can't get to the bag because your narcs are on top and god almighty if I touch them then your gonna fire me". Yeah that seems like a good thing to say to my medic partner.

If you don't want your narcs to be handled by other people then keep them on your person or locked away at all times.

medic417

The Truth Provider
It took 100's of thousands of pills, thousands of prescriptions and 15 years of writing bogus scripts before the DEA launched an investigation of a local pill mill. Do you really think they are going to be knocking on a medics door because he can't account for 100mgs of fent.

edit
I can find only one mention on google of an ambulance company being investigated by the DEA for missing narcs and it sounds like they were taken from their central supply not from the bus.

They do not publically list all investigations amigo. The one I was involved with was for 10mg morphine that actually ended up not being missing just handled by someone that should not have and then documented improperly. DEA did investigate. Was an extremely long day having to provide proof of every purchase, every use, and every waste for the past several years. In the end no charges. Very unpleasant time and was not my fault. Live through that and you will never allow anyone near your narcs.

I speak of what I know and have lived. This has nothing to do with being a Paragod.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
They do not publically list all investigations amigo. The one I was involved with was for 10mg morphine that actually ended up not being missing just handled by someone that should not have and then documented improperly. DEA did investigate. Was an extremely long day having to provide proof of every purchase, every use, and every waste for the past several years. In the end no charges. Very unpleasant time and was not my fault. Live through that and you will never allow anyone near your narcs.

I speak of what I know and have lived. This has nothing to do with being a Paragod.

Sounds like how I feel about IRS audits.

Still you would thing there would be more than one mention of an investigation of it on google. I've heard of state level investigations involving missing drugs.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Sounds like how I feel about IRS audits.

Still you would thing there would be more than one mention of an investigation of it on google. I've heard of state level investigations involving missing drugs.

The state investigated as well. Was a long couple of months during the entire process when you include internal, state, and fed investigations. It may be a rare event but I will not allow anything I control to lead to any investigation.

Anjel

Forum Angel
We get pre packaged drug boxes.that are sealed from the county. When you get to the hospital you leave the open box and take a new one.

My teacher said his box was missing fent and his partner didnt catch it when he turned it back in. He had the DEA at the station 4 hours later.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Wouldn't the easiest way to avoid this be to just keep the damn things on your person? If you're leaving them out where they can be "touched" by others, how can that be considered secure?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wouldn't the easiest way to avoid this be to just keep the damn things on your person? If you're leaving them out where they can be "touched" by others, how can that be considered secure?

I'd argue the "easiest way" is for people to not touch things they shouldn't.